PDA

View Full Version : New here and afraid

gertiegumdrop
10-10-10, 13:49
Hi I am 38 years old and I am having panic attacks.

I have read through the symptoms a million times on here and other sites and now at least I am a bit happier that I am not about to die. What I don't understand is though why the feeling won't subside. Everything I read tells me that these attacks last for up to an hour, I feel I am constntly having them since about dinner time last night. I felt terrible and in "full panic mode" between 6.30pm-8pm then it slowly wore off until I was ok to lie in bed at 10.30 and go off to sleep. I woke at 3pm having another attack which I could not get back to sleep until 6.30. I am now at work feeling really anxious, headachy tired and a bit of an upset stomach...have felt like this all morning. I am scared I am going to lose it and start panicking full on again.
Will this feeling ever stop...I hate it :(

Also the reason I couldn't accept it was panic was because nothing sets it off..no thoughts about anything, I can be perfectly happy then WHAM!

jothenurse
10-10-10, 14:12
On some days mine can ebb and flow. I can feel like I am going to have a panic attack, get some tachycardia, then it will be a little better. But, many times I have a continuous anxiety.

Electric_Worry
10-10-10, 14:40
If it makes you feel better, I was pretty much the same. My first and seemingly only attack thus far came from right out of the blue. There was no noticeable trigger either. It took me two hours to calm down enough to be able to walk up the stairs and doing simple tasks like using the toilet made me feel as though I would collapse. Sleeping that night was terrible. My heart wouldn't settle and every single noise I heard made me feel worse. The next day I went to the doctors, although I got two streets from my house and froze. I had to return home and get someone to drive me there, despite the fact it was only a few minute walk from my front door. I was prescribed slow-release propranolol, which took a few days to get into my system and came with a bunch of unpleasant side-effects. The first few days were awful; every single sound still put me on edge and I was suffering from terrible bouts of nausea. So much so I thought I was going to pass out on several occasions.

It's been a month since the attack and although I feel a lot better compared to the first week, my anxiety is still here. I go through waves of feeling fine and then being convinced my heart is going to give out. I don't think it's a straight and easy course for anybody. Most people are going to have their good days and their bad and also set-backs along the way. It's a terrible feeling but what you're experiencing sounds perfectly in-line with anxiety and it can be overcome. One of the best pieces of advice I've heard is not to fight back, but to accept the symptoms. If your heart starts racing or your legs turn to jelly, then just ride it out and know that it's not going to hurt you. If you can accept this happens and that the feelings are fleeting, then I'm sure they will begin to feel less and less intense. You won't be afraid of them any longer because you know you will get to the other side without harm. The less afraid you become, the more the symptoms will fade.

I'm rambling, but you sound like any number of anxiety sufferers. I don't know your situation, but if you haven't already then you should speak to a doctor. If you're willing, you should be able to get on some medication to calm yourself down and then you can work on dealing with your anxiety with the number of resources available.

Vanilla Sky
11-10-10, 21:27
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

sarah_85
11-10-10, 21:42
Oh you poor thing, reading that through you sound just like I was a few months ago, so I can tell you, as others already have that you are not alone. I was convinced for weeks and weeks that I was dying, with a constant feeling of impending doom. Panic attacks at different times, but especially waking up during the night and having them. The positive news is that you have accepted that you are not about to die, and that it is panic making you feel that way. Acceptance of this really helps with the cycle of anxiety. Nothing I can say will make it all go away but I can tell you that I am still here nearly 3 months on, and I have managed to get my life back to some sort of normality, where I'm able to go to work and have some pretty normal days. However, I still have bad days and it's important to allow yourself to have wobbles.
My advice to you would be, really take care of yourself. Make sure you are eating well and healthily and drinking plenty of water. I decided to cut out caffeine and alcohol, and this seems to have helped. I promise you, you are going to be ok and it is really difficult to see that now I know, but you will be. And don't expect too much from yourself, you need to give yourself a break. don't beat yourself up because this is happening because it makes it worse. Accept that this is happening because your body and mind need a well deserved rest, so take it easy. And of course, get to see your GP, and use all the support available to you, and by that I mean the GP, maybe counsellors, family and friends. I also infomed occupational health at my work and they were really supportive and helpful.
Keep positive hun and feel free to PM me if you wanna chat anymore, I know how much relief comes from knowing that other people are suffering the same symptoms and going through it too.
Lots of love xxx

paula lynne
11-10-10, 21:43
Hi just wanted to welcome you to a great supportive site, youre not alone x:welcome: