PDA

View Full Version : help with atos appointment

will65mcmanus
11-10-10, 10:05
ive suffered with depression and anxiety for years and im due to go for an apoointment with atos, im currently on mirtazapine and amtriptilene but are now very concerned about being able to pass with all the horror stories i have read on here.
i have problems going out and anger problems, the doctor changed my medication from trazidone to the about 6 weeks ago because i was feeling suicidal and are still.
what worries me is losing my money and been expected to sign on when my medication clearly makes me drowsy and having to go out to do this.

regards will

Vixxy
11-10-10, 11:12
Hi will. Its not all bad news. I had the questionnaire through at the beginning of the year. I sent it back and was told that I wouldnt need an assessment. So not everyone is being kicked off benefits.
Be as honest and up front as you can. Ive always found that going into extra detail and talking more than they require gets me through the assessments. Ive had 4 I think and never had a problem.
If you think you may not be able to get across how your life is then try writing a letter and ask them to read it before you start the interview. or you could take someone with you that may be able to add details to your story. Ive always found that I forget how bad I am at my worst moments, so Ive always asked my mum to come and fill in my blanks.
Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

blueangel
11-10-10, 11:42
There was a feature about the whole incapacity/ESA thing on Radio 4 this morning. Evidently they are starting the "new" system with Aberdeen and Burnley, and then rolling it out across the rest of the country from Spring 2011. The interviewer did flag up that there seems to be an issue for people with mental health problems, and that at the moment, the system seems to be biased against them.

Unfortunately, this is going to be bad news for a lot of people in this position, and it would appear that the new government is only interested in cutting the numbers of people that receive benefit (they are looking to save £4billion getting people off sickness-related benefits!).

While I'm keen not to turn this post into a political rant (which I could quite easily as I despise some of the attitudes of the new government), I can only encourage people in appeal; evidently around 40% of appeals are successful at the moment. Also, I have to say that I think it would be wise to have some sort of contingency plan, as it is inevitable that a large number of people are going to get tipped off ESA on to Job Seekers Allowance, as they can save around £30 a week on each person (which adds up to a lot of money).

nervy-paul
11-10-10, 16:31
Hi Will,
I had to go for one earlier this year (not my first or last alas) , and it never gets any easier I know. Can you get someone to go with you? Do you have a local NSF office? They are usually more than happy to advise and go with you if no-one else is. I've pasted their website here: http://www.rethink.org/

will65mcmanus
11-10-10, 16:57
thanks for the replys

PoppyC
11-10-10, 17:58
I think eventually only the very physically unwell will be able to claim, from how it is going.
How are people with mental health issues going to cope financially if they truly cannot work due to how they feel, besides the fact that there are no jobs anyway to take if forced to!
Good Luck Will. I hope it works out ok for you and if not then appeal as Blueangel mentioned.