PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get panicky when in traffic?

Thistooshallpass
11-10-10, 10:42
I do-I can feel a panic attack coming on because I either feel trapped in the non moving traffic or frustrated that I can't move forward. Sometimes I think about turning around. The fear I get mainly though is that I will have a panic attack though I have stopped them in their tracks many times :yahoo:

Suppose I just want to feel better that it is not just me!

paula lynne
11-10-10, 10:48
Hi there, yes I get it too, always want to get back to my home.....I listened to a great tape in the car by Susan Jeffers called Feel the fear, and do it anyway. She talks about being in a car and how anxiety takes over with the "chatterbox" (our constant voice of doom and gloom). She recommends something along the lines of...."instead of focusing on your anxiety...learn to switch off your chatterbox and say to yourself...wow...Im stuck in traffic but nothing is particularly pressing...I can enjoy the scenery...people watch...there are no demands on my time...listen to a positive affermation tape, sing,...."
Its something like that anyway, maybe youd find the tape useful, I did. All the best, Pol x:yesyes:

skin
11-10-10, 10:49
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=82520 <- Read this thread, it's the same :). Ofc, you're not alone!

margaret jones
11-10-10, 12:28
Hi there yes i can get this sometimes but only if i am driving ,if I am passenger then i am fine .

What i do is have a fav piece of music on and sing along to it and drum my fingers on the steering wheel along to the beat helps to distract me , goodness knows what people think who are alongside me in the traffic jam , but I just smile and carry on .

Try it and see if it helps xxx

Nigel
11-10-10, 13:13
Hi Thistooshallpass,

That does make sense because one element of panic is feeling trapped and needing to ‘get away’. Suppose that stems from the primitive ‘fight or flight’ response and escaping from danger.

Being stuck in traffic is something beyond our (reasonable) control so there’s little we can do about that one. However, there’s a lot you can do to reassure yourself that the situation poses no real threat, which means there’s no need for panic.

The other part – feeling frustrated about being stuck in traffic – is something you can take control of however, because this time it’s not the situation itself but how you respond to it.

We all have our own ‘panic threshold’ and getting all stressed and frustrated will push you closer to yours. So doing things to remain calm and relaxed about the traffic jam will keep more space between you and panic.

Take care,
Nigel

willitstop
11-10-10, 14:36
i am terrible in traffic get really bad panic attacks :(

Going home
11-10-10, 23:36
Yes i'm the same, I plan my journey well in advance and try to avoid rush hours, motorways and busy towns...which narrows things down somewhat :) but I do actually enjoy driving and I know i'm a good driver, its just being stuck in a load of traffic that panics me, its the thought that I can't escape and pull over if i feel ill. I think alot of us feel like this.

Anna xx

helloalex
12-10-10, 03:15
Im the same too, its the fact i cant just get out if i want to or pull over :s your not alone! xxx

blue moon
12-10-10, 06:15
HI.........I thought i was ok,until I get to roundabouts,I got the finger from an old man on saturday,think I cut him off.I have not driving long and still getting used to driving in traffic get very panicky since I got finger
Petra x:weep:

blue moon
12-10-10, 08:00
PSMILE......I cannot afford Burberry,I shop at St Vinnies:yesyes:

belgarion
12-10-10, 15:55
My first ever panic attack years ago was while driving on the motorway. Scared me, and I had no idea what it was at the time. (I was moving back home that morning and had very little sleep so put it down to that)

It was a few years before I had another panic attack and I had loads of issues, but traffic did used to trigger those feelings.

Now I drive everyday on the M25 to and from work, and although I don't face traffic everyday, I do sit stationary for long periods while they clear up a crash or something. The way I look at it, it's a whole lot nicer to be able to open the window and breathe fresh air, than it was getting the tube to work everyday! :)

clanshankly
12-10-10, 18:08
I did - and bizarrely when waiting to turn right at traffic lights. I used to worry I would pass out at the wheel and be stuck/hit in the middle of the busy intersection - and would drive miles out of my way so I could make journeys by just turning left. I got over this particular wierd thought process by making myself stare at the red traffic light and pulling my tongue out at it (or flicking the v's) and shouting - "see you can not make me faint!" I would then go home and write in my journal that I had not fainted. After writing this down for about a month it suddenly dawned on me, that since I had never actually fainted at the traffic lights, I was unlikely to do so. The feeling of terror has abated a little now -and has been replaced with a little cheeky tongue poking out at every red traffic light. My kids do it now too.

Thistooshallpass
17-10-10, 17:03
Thanks for your replies guys! I think my anxiety is made worse by thinking I am the only one who has such irrational thoughts when stuck my traffic! I see other people in their cars and they don't seem to be anxious so that makes me feel like freak:weep:. To help I usually get obsessed with the windows-up down up and down and get into a song on the radio but I worry that anything could bring on an attack so the fear of the attack is my issue. I really don't like being alone much since I started with panic attack thoughts and feelings. This makes me sad beacuse I used to love walks alone and window shopping. I think when I am alone I have too much time to think about my symptoms e.g in the car, in bed, going to the shop. I am alot better than I was and have come a long way but the symptoms and thoughts still linger unfortunately despite the counselling and meds

calabozo50
26-12-10, 16:09
Hi, know just how you feel. Just tried to get to see some family 20 miles away on dual carrigeway. Actually drove past three exits and then had to turn back. Crazy, one exit to go and I was there. I did get over this but haven't kept it up and have slipped back to my old ways. Keep exposing yourself to the fear regulary and you will crack it. Good luck and dont give up, Mark :)

Martin Burridge
27-12-10, 01:17
Traffic jams and lights are often a trigger for people with panic disorder. There are some good tips in the above threads. Just to comment on a few (Im a therapist and have treated PD).
1) poking the tongue out - excellent. never give in to the panic attack and it will learn to go away
2) keeping a journal to show that you never actually faint despite the thoughts and feelings that you will. Brilliant classic CBT stuff. Keep this up and the negative thoughts about fainting will lose their power
3) noticing things around. Good. Panic attacks are caused by focusing internally. By focusing externally they are less likely
4) Planning your journeys. NOT good. I know it seems logical to try to avoid situations that have caused panic attacks in the past but this is what actually maintains panic disorder. Avoidance and planning are what are known in therapy terms as safety behaviours. Safety behaviours tell the hippocampus (brains learning centre) that there is danger. The hippocampus then sees the situation as a danger so is more likely to tell the amygdala (brains high emotion centre) to fire the fight or flight response (i.e. the panic attack). The other thing about safety behaviours is that they always fail sooner or later. e.g. you plan for traffic to be quiet but when it isn't it you get a panic attack (because your behaviour told the brain the lots of traffic is danger)

Hope this helps. Happy driving

lostnanxiety
27-12-10, 02:58
Yes. I have this problem as well. As soon as I see the traffic start backing up I am looking for a way out :(

Meltdown
28-12-10, 18:36
This was one of the worst things for me! Even seeing the brake lights come on was enough for me to bring on a panic attack!

The feeling of being trapped in a traffic jam is terrible! I had a nightmare 40 minutes in a jam on a motorway last year caused by an accident

It got to the point where I would take a 5 mile detour on my way to work, just to avoid a 10 minute jam on a dual carriageway every day! I eventually got myself over it by starting out a little earlier (so that the jam would be less) and just sitting in the traffic. I also set a timer on my watch, and told myself that whatever happened, the jam wouldn't last for more than 10 minutes.

I have reduced my sensitivity to it drastically, but still have a fear of getting stuck on a motoraway for hours!

Meltdown
29-12-10, 12:27
Traffic jams and lights are often a trigger for people with panic disorder. There are some good tips in the above threads. Just to comment on a few (Im a therapist and have treated PD).
1) poking the tongue out - excellent. never give in to the panic attack and it will learn to go away
2) keeping a journal to show that you never actually faint despite the thoughts and feelings that you will. Brilliant classic CBT stuff. Keep this up and the negative thoughts about fainting will lose their power
3) noticing things around. Good. Panic attacks are caused by focusing internally. By focusing externally they are less likely
4) Planning your journeys. NOT good. I know it seems logical to try to avoid situations that have caused panic attacks in the past but this is what actually maintains panic disorder. Avoidance and planning are what are known in therapy terms as safety behaviours. Safety behaviours tell the hippocampus (brains learning centre) that there is danger. The hippocampus then sees the situation as a danger so is more likely to tell the amygdala (brains high emotion centre) to fire the fight or flight response (i.e. the panic attack). The other thing about safety behaviours is that they always fail sooner or later. e.g. you plan for traffic to be quiet but when it isn't it you get a panic attack (because your behaviour told the brain the lots of traffic is danger)

Hope this helps. Happy driving

This is very true!