PDA

View Full Version : confused and scared!!

ems43
11-10-10, 12:06
Hi there,

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and am currently taking mitazapine ( one week and def better for me than the escitalopram). Anyway I am just really confused over these episodes i keep experiencing. I have suffered from panic attacks in the past ( typically would fear was going mad but also had fears would have heart attack, pass out etc). When i prev had them, they would become very acute, I could not hide from others how i felt and then the feeling would diminish over about 30 mins. The main symptom that bothers me most about my current illness is feeligns of depersonalisation/ derealisation and i feel pretty detatched most of the time and have lots of odd and scary thoughts. but there is times when things really come to a head... once this week when i was at a gig and then today when out shopping. i just have the most god awful feeling, i think i would call it anxiety or maybe terror, just extreme distress. i feel as if nothing is real, that no one can reassure me and also think i am either going mad or the world really isn't real. anyway, when these really intense feelings come on i feel so awful that suicidal thoughts flood through my mind and i think i just can't cope with a minute more of this. i keep trying to tell myself that i am strong and can cope/ the feeling will pass etc but they honestly last about 3 hours plus sometimes. i am just so confused... are these panic attacks? i mean, i look normal to others, my partner would have no idea how distressed i felt inside. today i even checked my pulse and to see if my hands were shaking- my pulse was like 85 and i was not shaking no any other real signs of anxiety apart from a feeling of extreme tension in arms/ legs/ face.. almost as if there is something crawling under my skin or there is poison running through my veins... very hard to describe. i have been referred for cbt and am hoping that may help but woudl really appreciate any advice, experiences from others. when it happens at the moment, i try to keep myself busy ( went for one hour walk and swan 60 lengths) and the anxiety def goes down to a managable level but still always there. oh my damm brain!!:mad:xxx

paula lynne
11-10-10, 12:13
Hiya and firstly a massive well done for going swimming and walking...uses up so much nervous energy and releases the good endorphins...keep it up. Feelings of depersonalisation come and go in my experience (had panic and anx for ten years)...I kept a diary of when I felt like this and scored it out of te, then every month, looked back to identifiy when it was worse (around my period). Its a horrible feeling, like its not you inside your own head, but please know its just a feeling, not a symptom, and cant hurt you. You are doing so well, keep going xx:)

Daat
11-10-10, 17:04
Hi there,

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and am currently taking mitazapine ( one week and def better for me than the escitalopram). Anyway I am just really confused over these episodes i keep experiencing. I have suffered from panic attacks in the past ( typically would fear was going mad but also had fears would have heart attack, pass out etc). When i prev had them, they would become very acute, I could not hide from others how i felt and then the feeling would diminish over about 30 mins. The main symptom that bothers me most about my current illness is feeligns of depersonalisation/ derealisation and i feel pretty detatched most of the time and have lots of odd and scary thoughts. but there is times when things really come to a head... once this week when i was at a gig and then today when out shopping. i just have the most god awful feeling, i think i would call it anxiety or maybe terror, just extreme distress. i feel as if nothing is real, that no one can reassure me and also think i am either going mad or the world really isn't real. anyway, when these really intense feelings come on i feel so awful that suicidal thoughts flood through my mind and i think i just can't cope with a minute more of this. i keep trying to tell myself that i am strong and can cope/ the feeling will pass etc but they honestly last about 3 hours plus sometimes. i am just so confused... are these panic attacks? i mean, i look normal to others, my partner would have no idea how distressed i felt inside. today i even checked my pulse and to see if my hands were shaking- my pulse was like 85 and i was not shaking no any other real signs of anxiety apart from a feeling of extreme tension in arms/ legs/ face.. almost as if there is something crawling under my skin or there is poison running through my veins... very hard to describe. i have been referred for cbt and am hoping that may help but woudl really appreciate any advice, experiences from others. when it happens at the moment, i try to keep myself busy ( went for one hour walk and swan 60 lengths) and the anxiety def goes down to a managable level but still always there. oh my damm brain!!:mad:xxx

This is a pretty good description of what I've been experiencing for the past month and a half, it's brutal. I'm waiting for counselling but I think I may have to get back on the anti-depressants, it's all I can do to stay strong through it and to top it off I've just found out one of my best friends who I've known since we were born is on life support on the other side of the world and is about to die. Really f-ing hard week.