PDA

View Full Version : Panic/anxiety and weight gain

paula lynne
11-10-10, 13:10
:weep: Ive read loads of posts about people who loose a lot of weight. Ive actually put on 3 stone in the ten years since my illness started..:weep: Anyone else had this problem? Im wondering how common it is?
I guess being agoraphobic and lack of excercise is partly to blame, but my appetite has increased, and Im actually hungry about an hour after a main meal. My self-esteem is so low, I look frumpy and unattractive...hubby says its fine though:blush:

I find it so hard to control the hunger pangs, and cant really excersise due to constant vertigo. Down in the dumps big time today, and 2 of my seriously over weight friends have both lost 3/4 stone and look amazing! Well done them, but has compounded my feelings of lack of worth and disgust at my body.:weep:

My gp helpfully has now told me Im clinically obese. Im 5'6, weight 13 and half stone, 40 inch rib cage (big boned mam called it). Any one else put on a lot of weight?
Any tips for controlling hunger?
Any tips for excercise for the vertigo challenged?! thanks friends x
Bad day today. x:weep: sob sob sob sob sob sob

Vixxy
11-10-10, 13:29
Hi Paula. Im afraid Im one of those people that loses weight through anxiety, but I know exactly how you feel. I was under 7 stone at my worst this year and my body repulsed me. Even now I feel jealous of women who have curves.
The circle of loathing that you are on only makes your problems worse though. As soon as I accepted that for now this is me I noticed I was slowly beginning to put the weight back on again. Im still not happy with myself, but I dont dwell on it anymore.
The same can work for you too.
I would also start to log your intake each day and see where you can start trimming away the excess calories.
I used this site http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/index.php to help me to gain weight. It showed me that I wasnt eating as much as I thought I was, and hopefully it will show you the opposite.

paula lynne
11-10-10, 13:50
Thanks Vixxy x
I just checked it out...says I need to shave 500 calories a day, (or 250 with food and 250 of exercise) in order to reach my goal of 12 stone. It says I can reach my target in 146 days!
Am very worried about being an apple shape. I know the dangers of laying fat down in the middle, and internal organs..:weep: Am taking meds for high bp and cholesterol...prime candidate for heart attack and stroke..:weep:
Can exercise due to vertigo...so it looks like calorie counting it is...just wich I wasnt hungry all the time..must be the anxiety as I was 10 stone all my adult life til I started getting panic attacks.
Thank you for your reply x
Anyone on here put weight on?? Thanks in advance, and thanks monkey for your PM. x:)

paula lynne
11-10-10, 14:05
My friend just arrived...shes given me all her old "fat clothes"...feeling absolutely crap...worthless...disgusting...frumpy...and so so old. Havent had a bad day like this in monthes :weep: Any body else put weight on? x

Vixxy
11-10-10, 14:21
Paula, please dont feel so down about your friend giving you her old clothes. Youre a caring lovely person who is always on here offering help and advice! Youre worth more than a bit of excess fat.
It will be a slow process to lose weight, but you will get there.
I used to get horrid vertigo years ago with my anxiety and was given medication to stop it. Maybe ask your GP if there is anything you can take. I dont know how bad yours is, but maybe you could try a bit of dancing at home?

ems43
11-10-10, 14:23
sorry you are feeling so bad lynee:hugs:i also tend to gaina lot of weight when my anxiety bad as i comfort eat a lot. does the GP have any suggestions about exercises you could do that would not be effected by the vertigo? or what about an occupation therapist- maybe they may have some ideas? there is a really good book about coping with body image issues- you can buy it on amazon and its called overcoming body image disturbance. i found some bits of it really helpful, may be worth a try? xxx

ems43
11-10-10, 14:24
and another thing... my friends brother who has schizophrenia and put on 8 stone due to the antipsychotic meds has finally lost the weight and looks amazing.... as soon as his mental health started to get sorted he was able to do it. be kind to yourself xxx

paula lynne
11-10-10, 14:40
Thanks ems, thanks vixxy.....having a cry now...dont know whats going on with me today :weep: hubby just called and asked if I wanted to go to a harvester....I declined but my first thought was IM FAT AND IVE GOT NOTHING TO WEAR...it wasnt..oh what if I have a panic attack......Im so scared right now...feeling like this since I woke up...wish I was a pear not an apple!! x
Anyone else who has put weight on?? Thanks guys xx:weep:

Inspires
11-10-10, 16:28
Paula

I've gained over 3 and a half stones since last Christmas. I'm only 5' 2" so you can imagine, that I look like elephant lady!!!

I was hospitalised for 8months last year, and when I was discharged, I spent a lot of time lying in bed...this hasn't helped, I know, but when you're scared to step outside alone, it's difficult isn't it?

As you can see below, I'm also on prescribed medication, whose side effects list as weight gain...but I can't keep on using this as an excuse. :winks:

I went to a Birthday party on Friday night...the first I'd been to since my illness last year. I felt really frumpy...but I made the best of things and decided to wear a low cut dress. I didn't know many people there, and although I panicked a few times, my hubby said I looked beautifully endowed, which made me feel better. I thought that if anyone was going to look at me, then all would be amply rewarded :blush: And my two adult children said how proud they were of me...which made all the effort worth it...

I still feel awkward though, and I can't exercise like I used to do...I find clothes hard to fit, so I'm gonna let it all hang out, cos like the old saying goes, "if you've got it, flaunt it!".

I've got to get to back to full health mentally, before I can get back to a size 14. Yet I do know exactly how you feel...............sorry, hang on.....................I was just finishing of a jam doughnut! Only jesting :huh:

Chin up sweetie, at the end of the day, you are you, and from what I've read relating to your posts, you're a lovely kind, considerate, caring, member of this forum...and to most of us here, Paula, you shape up, very well.

Take care,

Sue x :flowers:

Davyboy
11-10-10, 16:33
Nevermind....

paula lynne
11-10-10, 16:55
Thanks guys....steak pie and chips?? thats plain cruel!! haha:winks:

paula lynne
11-10-10, 16:59
My name means................SMALL!! you have to laugh!! :weep::D

olderfella
11-10-10, 17:59
Ladies there are loads of simple exercises you could do at home you can even do some of them seated,and you could make a big difference by eating fruit and veg as opposed to eating processed foods,im not being critical but never give up,if your unhappy with your shape or weight you CAN make a difference its never to late:)

Nigel
11-10-10, 18:40
Hi Paula,

Sorry you’re having a bad day :hugs:

“My gp helpfully has now told me Im clinically obese.”

Yes, very helpful... not :lac:
Actually, when you look it up it’s only very slightly over the limit. Near enough to stick with just overweight, I think :winks:

I don’t know much about meds but I know some can cause weight gain and some can cause increased appetite. I know because my friend always flatly refused to take any ADs no matter how low she felt simply because there was a possibility of weight gain.

Something else you mentioned was low self esteem. Many people with low self esteem turn to food as a comfort, so it might be that some of what feels like hunger is really satisfying a more emotional need.

Paul McKenna always says; “Eat what you want (within reasons!) but eat consciously.” So really think about whether you’re really hungry or if it’s something else. Then when you do eat, slow down and really savour each mouthful, and consciously think about whether you feel full. As soon as you do feel full, stop eating! Even if that means leaving some. That’s the point where your body has consumed exactly the right amount of food for it’s current needs, and any more will be stored away for later as fat.

I like Paul McKenna and have read several of his books. I’ve never read I Can Make You Thin (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/059306092X/ref=nosim?tag=psychologysol-21), but I’m sure it’s full of lots of similarly clever ideas like that.

Take care,
Nigel

Ambers
11-10-10, 18:51
Paula Lynne - I so wished I could help you. Prior to anxiety taking over my body disabling my normal life, I used to be fit and healthy. I eat alot, but alot of good foods - such as my dinner plate will be made up 3/4 of salad / veg and we pretty much have yohurts and berries every day. I never ever eat takeaways or processed food. My treats (all there are lots of them) are liquoish, and wholemeal cereals which I dip into in the evening.
Always eat a good healthy breakfast - I have porridge and add honey sometimes. Porridge really fills you up... eat 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big meals. I eat often.

Once you have lost a few pounds you will start to feel positive and dont ever diet! Just eat good foods, often and never starve yourself!

I must admit I need to put on weight so I have increase my food intake, but our friend anxiety has other ideas.

I wished I could help more as you are so helpful to others, please dont worry too much about your weight - you come across as such a beautiful person and that is far more important in life.

x

paula lynne
11-10-10, 19:06
Hi Nigel, thanks my good friend x:)
Yes, I just checked out my BMI and Im only just over in the obese class....maybe half a stone to begin with, dont want to aim too high yet!

Ambers, what a wonderful post, really cheered me up, thank you.:)
I do eat a lot of salad, fruit, veg, lots of salmon, haddock etc, but I dont feel full unless I eat carbs...although I do try to make sure its wholewheat pasta, bread etc.

I do think I may be comfort eating a bit:weep: dont know why, great hubby, kids, nice cottage..good friends like you all.....

I would definately be interested olderfella if you could elaborate on exercises suitable for me (vertigo and agoraphobia), thanks.

Last week I wanted to go swimming...was really geared up for it, cant even think about going out. Well, hopefully I can do a little walk tomorrow.:huh:

I did ask my gp about excersice and she laughed and said..just get out and do it! well she doesnt understand panic anxiety and agoraphobia then :lac:Im hoping to pull myself out of this hole soon. Thanks all x:hugs:

fairyclairy
11-10-10, 21:41
Hi,

Thank god iv found your post! :D

Iv read so much about people loosing weight through anxiety.. but never putting on!

I too have gained weight since my anxiety kicked off very badly last year - iv suffered this since i was 11 yrs and was always very skinny (too skinny!) because i hardly ate when i first began getting panic attacks etc but since it started to get bad again a year ago iv put on weight! Im the complete opposite now... i have a fear of fainting so im continuously eating!! I also have the hunger feeling you are describing.. i need to eat every couple of hours otherwise i feel that hungry that i panic about passing out! One big vicious circle..

Iv been told by my CBT therapist that the hunger feeling is 'normal' because when we are anxious, the blood etc goes to the parts of the body it thinks needs it all to help us escape, e.g the arms, legs, heart... and it goes out of your stomach, hense making it feel very empty and hungry feeling!

As regards to the gaining weight - iv read in three different magazines now that people who suffer from anxiety/panic etc tend to put weight around their stomachs (definitly me!) and this is because everytime we panic or adrenaline is released into the blood, the sugars that are also released arnt getting used through exercise etc so it just turns into unwanted fat! Iv read that 3 times now in different articles so must have some truth behind it...

I started Slimming World 7 weeks ago and it has helped - it has made me change my eating patterns, made me eat fuller, healthier meals which means im fuller for longer.. i still snack but on fruit... iv lost half a stone in 6 weeks! If this is something you can consider, id definitly recommend it! My hunger issues have sub-sided alittle and im eating much, much healthier... my IBS has also improved!

Try and hang in there, i know its horrible.... i know that feeling you get when you look in the mirror and the person staring back at you just isnt 'you'.. your heart sinks and you cant see a way out... but im sure things will improve, just try and stay positive (easier said than done i know!) xx

paula lynne
11-10-10, 21:51
Thanks Fairy!! Yes, Ive laid all the fat around my middle, a big donut...yuk:weep: Im apple shaped so its risky for heart disease and stroke (Im already taking meds for bp and cholesterol)
My bust is now 40 E, Ive always been 36-38d.....hubby likes it tho:blush:
I guess then that anxiety/cortisol means Im more susceptible to weight gain...but why doesnt everyone put weight on then if we all suffer from anxiety? surely its the same process...I just dont understand..:weep:

I did lose 9lb in my first week with slimming world several years ago, I think Ive got some mags lying around, will def have a look. Thank you for your support x:hugs:

fairyclairy
11-10-10, 22:05
The posts iv read about people loosing weight through anxiety are people who arnt eating much or are too stressed to eat etc... whereas some people, like us :blush: comfort eat and eat lots.... i guess its like anything else, we're all different so stress etc affects us all differently!

9lb wow.. thats amazing for one week... my first week i only lost 1 and a half pounds! Defo get your mags out and not sure if you are on facebook bt they have a fan page with lots of recipes etc.. i know you say you struggle going out, so if you need any advice then id be happy to help, i can pass on the tips i learn in the class each week etc :)

Take care xx

paula lynne
11-10-10, 22:14
Thanks!! I will look at the facebook page...and would love to share your weight loss journey with you...thank you so much x:hugs:

skin
12-10-10, 11:44
Paula: tell me your secrets :D. I want to get fat :(. I spent my teen years thinking I was a little too fat and now I don't know what to try next to put on some weight. My metabolism is spaceshuttle-fast. I can eat like an Auschwitz-escapee and still, every morning, the $#^%# scale shows the same (small) weight.
Soooo, I can really understand you. It's just the other way around.

paula lynne
12-10-10, 12:04
This is what I dont get skin.....panic and axiety releases cortisol..in all of us...which lays fat down around the middle, (internal organs,and skin outside)....so why do most people LOSE weight if the basic physiology is the same?? Its baffling to me............still confused this morning.!!:wacko:

skin
12-10-10, 12:36
Well my anxiety manifests itself with loss of appetite, nausea, dry heaving, vomiting... So you could pour truck loads of cortisol in me, if I don't eat, there's nothing to build on. Anyway, my football years could of contributed to this high metabolism rate... I'm now very sedentary, but I used (as a kid) to play football and burn a lot of calories.

calm
12-10-10, 19:04
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh paula....i am so so so so sorry for not replying sooner....please forgive me xxxxxx

paula......oh my love........since starting my new meds i am hungry all the time...which really kind of depresses me.....so i know how it feels xxxxxx

you know wot paula....its hard with the vertigo isnt it and anxiety etc....i purchased a trampette earlier this year and used it everyday up until june and have now just started to use it again...three days ago....now i know that you might not be able to use the trampette with your vertigo but what about a ......well an exercise dvd...low impact/dance one.....i have used before....would that help!.....also my love, what about talking with the gp to refer you to a diatrician....i was referred because of my crohns disease when i was seriously under weight.....she was good paula.....some people dont rate but take them as you find them....im here for you my love xxxxx my cbt advisor has asked me not to spend too much time on the pc....but i am going to come online every evening....just for a short while i am sure xxxxx i love you mate....you are so beautiful paula....but u have to start to believe....its true xxxxx

paula i lost 2 1/2 strone via weight watchers two years ago and continued to maintain successfully until june this year until anxiety/panic hit....you can do it online....and you eat normal food which is just marvellous...take a look at website my love.....if i can do it anyone can xxxxxxxx:bighug1:

caz1625
12-10-10, 19:58
Add me to the fat list :D I'm only 5ft so I am nearly rolling now!!! Put on over 3 stone. Tried weighwatchers and all the rest and I lose half a stone and then stick.......get fed up and put it all back on. Like you I don't go out so excercise is a big problem. As heart disease runs in the family I know it is really important to watch my weight. I used to be a size 8.........oh to be that again.

If you want to diet with me ...........I'll do it with you :D

Carol xx

Inspires
12-10-10, 20:50
And, I'll join you! :yesyes:

Sue x :flowers:

Xavier
13-10-10, 15:24
You can add me on the list of those who lose weight with panic attacks and anxiety.

I often just don't feel hungry and end up skipping meals quite often. I sometimes feel like I'll be sick if I eat when I'm having panic attacks.

I'm 6 feet and I only weigh 11 and a half stone.

The last few months all the time when I see people they're like "woah! have you lost MORE weight? you look so skinny now" :huh:

paula lynne
13-10-10, 15:32
Good news guys...weighed 13.7 at gps 7 days ago...now 13.3 so its going ok!
Thank you all for your tips and advice, Im going to carry on with calorie reduction, and hopefully try walking out even for 5 mins a day...up yours agoraphobia.!

Feel good at the mo, belly def gone down since only eating wholemeal!

Headaches bad though, but I guess Im reducing sugar and white carbs so thats probably why. Keep it up all you slimmers!! xxx:yesyes:

ElizabethJane
13-10-10, 15:53
Hi Paula I have recently joined weigh****chers (in September) So far I have lost 6lbs. I usually lose about a half to one pound a week. I had dreadful headaches at the beginning. These have now gone. I have to diet very slowly and carefully and make sure I eat and drink at regular intervals because I take lithium. So far it is working. Mirtazapine has made me put on weight. EJ

Davyboy
13-10-10, 16:50
Nevermind....

paula lynne
13-10-10, 16:51
Thanks Ej, Im hoping the headaches subside soon xx:)