PDA

View Full Version : Plz reed me........

Karlie
08-03-06, 19:55
Hi all,

Im 21 and have recently started to suffer from panic attacks (Since christmas).

I feel like it is taking a big hold over my life very quickly, and i dont feel like i am living my life any more.

I was a very outgoing person and never got worried about anything but now i dont even really go out. The thought of going down to my local pub freaks me out, which is something that i used to do every night.

I feel like i am loosing all control over my own life.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Karlie

xxx

KM

MOWMAN
08-03-06, 20:02
Hi Karlie,
You are definately not alone, and you are quite normal !
Panic attacks are no gentleman, they come with no warning like a whirlwind into our lives.
I too have only recently developed them, and have only joined this group this week, there is much info and help to be found here, and a great bunch of people too.
Hang in there, it will get better !
Andy

hunny_as
08-03-06, 20:05
hi ya i know what you mean it dose feel like it tacks over. yuo will make lots of new friends on here and i hope you find this site as helpfull as me

amanda xx

clickaway
08-03-06, 20:25
Hi Karlie and welcome!

Have these attacks come out of the blue, or can you identify any cause?

Do make sure you read the section on the site about Panic Attacks Panic Attacks - what they are and how to cope with them (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=panicattack)

Take Care now,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

seh1980
08-03-06, 20:25
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Karlie
08-03-06, 20:34
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Karlie and welcome!

Have these attacks come out of the blue, or can you identify any cause?

Do make sure you read the section on the site about Panic Attacks Panic Attacks - what they are and how to cope with them (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=panicattack)

Take Care now,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Ray,

I suffer from postural hypretention (excuse the spelling!) which can cause me to feel faint and faint. Im not sure if now i am worrying so much about fainting that it is mabye making me feel anxious,

Ta Karlie xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by clickaway - 08 March 2006 : 20:25:14</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

KM

wendy
08-03-06, 20:42
Hi Karlie
It does get better! Id advise you read all the info on this site, it has helped me loads!
Wendy x

nomorepanic
08-03-06, 20:49
Hi Karlie

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Nicola

trac67
08-03-06, 20:51
Hi Karlie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

tammyg
08-03-06, 21:02
Hi Karlie and welcome,

I think most of us have felt what you are describing at some point.

I hope you can start to get some help here.

Tammy x

Alexandra
08-03-06, 21:32
Hi Karlie

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Paddington
08-03-06, 21:50
hi Karlie,welcome aboard!You will get so much support on here,i have!I know it's scarey right now,but the best thing is to 'go with it'.Read the first steps on maun forum it is fab!love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

sal
08-03-06, 22:02
Hi Karlie

Firstly welcome to the forum you will get lots of help and support on here. I do understand how you feel, suddenly you feel like you are no longer in the driving seat and something you dont understand has taken over. We will help you all you can and never forget you are not alone.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Granny Primark
09-03-06, 13:32
HI karlie, I touch with nomorepanic this week. My son in desperation searched the internet. He has seen his once active mum become a nervous wreck through panic attacks. Just knowing there is someone else who understands is such a big help. I Also got in touch with www.nopanic.org.uk. They have a helpline no which is freephone 0808 808 0545. Its open from 10am to 10pm. The gentleman I spoke to was extremely helpful and supportive. He sent me some useful information that Iam convinced will help me. GOOD LUCK. LYNN

Trev
09-03-06, 15:27
Hi Karlie,

firstly, welcome to the site and sorry to hear you are suffering.

Secondly, you can overcome them and banish them to the past. Educate yourself as much as you can about them and the mechanism of how they work. You can do that via this site. There are many good books. Personally, i love anything by Claire Weekes. I found her audio tape very useful. You can get it via Amazon on Thorsons Audio for about 8 quid I think.

You are in a good position because you have not had them very long. They essentially rely on fearful thoughts to provoke bodily reactions. Your fear of fainting would be a classic for this.
Thoughts lead to bodily reactions and feelings which in turn lead to behaviour modification (ie you don't go to the pub etc).

When in an attack try slow, deep breathing from your diaphragm. (Hold your hand on your lower stomach and this should rise and fall as you breathe). Controlled and slow breathing will start to send messsages to the body to relax and to stop producing the chemicals that lead to panic.

All the best,
Trev :D

Meg
09-03-06, 15:53
**I suffer from postural hypretention (excuse the spelling!) which can cause me to feel faint and faint. Im not sure if now i am worrying so much about fainting that it is mabye making me feel anxious,**

Yes this is very possible. You can control ypour postural hypertension by moving about slowly and not making any sudden bends or standing up too fast etc

You can also make an appt to see your doctor to discuss your condition with him so you understand it better and therefore can manage it better.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Lindalou64
09-03-06, 17:48
Hi I found the links on this website is very helpful ,and just from my point of view since this just started I think they will do you lots of good...for all of us..take care and good luck...Linda

Jodieg
10-03-06, 17:28
Hi Karlie,

welcome to the site, I hope you find it very helpful

I have practically the same as you, I get panicky even at the thought of going out, but believe me it does get better.

please please think about what you can do and build on that. Even if it is just to walk down your front path, that is a step which is very important. I made the mistake of letting the fear totally cut me off from the world, and as a result, became Agoraphobic. It then becomes ten times worse so i urge you to do all you can to keep at it ang get out as much as poss.

I know it is really hard, and getting others to understand seems even harder, but it will get better. It may take some time but I guarantee that it will get better. It is your fear of having a panic attack that is causing you to have a panic attack and it is a viscous circle! Please be aware though that panic attacks are not at all dangerous, however it feels at the time, and they cannot hurt you. It is generally your fear that feeds them though!

Have you learnt any breathing techniques? I find breathing in and out through the nose really helps as it keeps the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels how they should be! I also find keeping a paper bag in my bag/pocket is useful as you can control your breathing through it and therefore stop hyperventilation!

I was reading also what LYNN said to you about the NOPANIC website
www.nopanic.org.uk. They have a helpline no which is freephone 0808 808 0545. Its open from 10am to 10pm.
I too got a lot of helpful advice and information sent to me. The people you talk to are previous sufferers and are really understanding and helpful. You also get the chance to join a teleconference and meet new people via mail, and it really helps you to understand that you are not alone. They also have a Night time crisis line from 10pm til 10am if you start to panic during the night!

Well I hope that I have helped? I dont know if I have or not
Good luck with all you do Karlie, feel free to pm me at any time
Love Jodie xx