PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack or Something Else?

Electric_Worry
12-10-10, 20:00
There's a little detail to this question, so please bear with me.

A couple of months before I had what I consider to be my first panic attack, I was on a diet and exercising regularly in order to drop a few pounds. To begin with, the exercise would consist of riding my bike for around five miles or so, however at a higher tempo than a leisurely cycle. The exercise would usually be from Monday to Friday with the weekends off. I would get up, brush my teeth and what not and then head out (without breakfast) within thirty minutes or so. I hadn't exercised for a while and I will admit to probably pushing myself from the very off, rather than taking it easy. On a few occasions I would be racing through a section of the route for a couple of miles and would then have to slow down and stop for whatever reason, e.g. to join a road. Once I had slowed down and gotten off the bike, my heart beat would race out of control, I felt sick, faint and would turn white as a sheet. It was a horrible feeling and on each occasion I thought I would definitely pass out. I didn't, and after around five minutes I would feel absolutely fine and would continue the remainder of my route without a problem.

However, after the third time it occurred I started to become more and more conscious of it happening again. So much so that I stopped the regular exercise routine out of fear. I didn't stop using the bike, but even when nipping the short distance to the store, I was acutely aware of my breathing and heart rate to the extent that the slightest quickening of my heartbeat made me extremely anxious. I would be cycling gently for a couple of minutes, almost expecting for it to happen again, in some cases forcing me to get off my bike and start over breathing, which also made my heart race again. I also feared having one of the episodes in front of somebody else or at the roadside, for fear out of embarrassing myself more than anything, so that became a factor, too. Whenever I saw someone during my outings, I would tense up and imagine it happening.

This is where I believe the anxiety arrived from. Sure, like most people I've always been anxious to a certain degree, but never on this kind of scale and never did I have an anxiety/panic attack. I eventually stopped the bike riding altogether, however this was because I needed a new part and haven't gotten around to picking it up. Post-cycling I noticed that I had started to become more and more anxious as the weeks progressed. The week before the first attack I believe I also started to become worried about it happening without doing any exercise at all. Again, it was mainly the thought of it happening in front of somebody else, rather than out of the blue when I'm alone. The anxiety built up and built up to the point that I felt constantly on edge. The real panic attack came when I just went outside to lock a car door and heard somebody down the street. It wasn't anybody threatening or acting aggressively, just somebody and their family in their garden. This made me hurry up back inside and then the attack unfolded and lasted for hours. You don't need me to tell you what one is like, but it took me a week and medication before I started to feel calmer. I still have a lot of work to do, but I am a lot better.

So, after that little ramble, do you think the episodes on the bike could be panic/anxiety related or something else, such as not warming up properly, pushing myself too hard, having to stop abruptly etc? I know it could also be something like heart disease, too (such is a rapid drop in blood pressure). Also, does this sound like a possible trigger that lead to what I consider my first panic attack? The fear of having an episode caused the anxiety to build up, which then reached a peak.

I know the members of this site are not doctors or medical practitioners, however an opinion or insight is always welcomed. I think it's interesting to hear what other people consider their anxiety/attacks were born out, too.

If you managed to read the entire post then feel free to treat yourself to a cookie. You've earned it.

lajjj
12-10-10, 21:22
hey sounds like maybe you pushed your self to hard on the bike and with the lack of breakfast its no wander u felt this way anyone would. i learnt from my psychiatrist that not eating and doing alot can cause feelings similar to anxiety.. these feeling have caused the majority of my big attacks.. its only in hindsight i can see what happened. problem is once anxiety sets in its hard to tell the difference ! then obviously you associate the feelings with anxiety and get stuck in the cycle...no pun intended! cookie time!!!! hope u feel better soon good luck xxx

Electric_Worry
12-10-10, 22:10
hey sounds like maybe you pushed your self to hard on the bike and with the lack of breakfast its no wander u felt this way anyone would. i learnt from my psychiatrist that not eating and doing alot can cause feelings similar to anxiety.. these feeling have caused the majority of my big attacks.. its only in hindsight i can see what happened. problem is once anxiety sets in its hard to tell the difference ! then obviously you associate the feelings with anxiety and get stuck in the cycle...no pun intended! cookie time!!!! hope u feel better soon good luck xxx

I know I didn't help myself with the way I went about exercising. I didn't warm up or have anything to eat and drink. I did explain it to a doctor last week, but whether or not I explained it properly I am unsure. She seemed to think it was nothing serious and did explain to me why, however I completely zoned out (which doesn't help). I think I became anxious about having an 'episode', and so the anxiety built up and caused me to have a different kind of attack.

lajjj
13-10-10, 07:28
i think just about every one who suffers with anxiety wants a reason why its happening something which will explain it. so we rack our brains and see doctors ask for tests , go over things which may have caused the horrible symptoms. its so difficult to accept that you can feel so bad just from anxiety because of the physical aches and pain, or the dizzyness or the feelings of impending doom i ask my self every day is this really just anxiety? and i am always lookin for answers always trying to figure out what the trigger was... i think what im trying to say is it does not really matter what the initial trigger was because that has gone now and i am not trivializing any ones reasons for having panic attacks , the reason i started having them was my brothers death..but that was 10 years ago its my mind thats kept the panic going not the reason why they started. acceptence is a major key with this. adrenalin is the chemical which starts off our panic attacks and obviously is what kicks in during sport etc. so its no wonder they some times get confussed! sorry i have waffled on but i am just as frustrated as you!!!!! xxxxx