PDA

View Full Version : coming off valium

Poppy12
13-10-10, 07:24
Hi all,

I'm coming off valium (diazepam) and it's horrific. Getting loads of panic attacks and feelings of being unreal/like the world is unreal, pressure in my head, burning limbs, shaking, mega tinnitus. I regret ever taking one of those tablets the withdrawal symptoms are so horrendous. Just went to the corner shop - a major deal for me. I was shaking and anxious and everything looked so unreal. I hate these panic attacks. I'm currently agorophobic and just in a mess - can't leave the house for more than ten minutes to visit the shop and even then I have panics. I live alone and am so isolated.

So any and all replies really welcomed...

How does everyone else deal with the panics?

Baggs
13-10-10, 09:23
Hi Poppy,

I have been addicted to various thing, including diazepam. I know what you are going through and I feel for you. My old doctor used to prescribe anything I asked for but then he retired and my new doc is much stricter. So now I am clean, except for anti-depressants.
There is no easy way to come off diazepam, but if you can find distractions to help the time pass, this may ease the torment. There are various games on this site and also the chatroom.
I wish you all the best. Baggs.

Poppy12
13-10-10, 09:37
Hi Baggs,

Thankyou so much for the reply. Sorry to hear you were hooked on the vals too. How long did the worst of the withdrawals last for you? It's been 3 weeks and 6 days for me but I feel worse than ever. It sure is torment indeed. Did you taper off? If so, how much did you get down to? Sorry to ask so many questions but I've never met anyone in this situation before...

Thanks again for the reply.

Poppy.

Baggs
13-10-10, 09:59
Hey Poppy,

No worries. I honestly cannot remember how long the worst of the withdrawals lasted as much of my past is rather a blur. I probably went cold turkey, when I ran out of them. All I can say is, that after almost 4 weeks, you should be just about there - things should start to ease very soon. Just hang on, get through each day as best you can, and the anguish should lift very soon.

All the best. Baggs.

cornwall dan
13-10-10, 10:38
Hi poppy,

I feel for ya,thats something im scared of getting hooked on meds,I still take a val when i need it so ive got a supply but you must be stronger than me and more than you thought coz i cant imagine not having one when i have a bad panic attack so im sure you will feel better in time.

Keep us posted or private message if ya need to talk. Cornwall Dan

joannap
13-10-10, 11:57
look up the daily mail online - there was an article yesterday about a man who spent 10 yrs on valium and all kinds of other drugs and how he withdrew x

jothenurse
13-10-10, 21:12
How much were you taking and for how long?
I've been on Ativan for about 6 months ( a low dose.) I did taper off of them once and then my doctor wanted me to go back on them until I gained my weight back. I'm scared now when I have to taper off of them, because even just psychologically, you feel you may need them.

Poppy12
14-10-10, 04:51
Thanks for all your replies guys.

For some reason I can't PM yet - is it because I don't have enough posts?

I was taking insane amounts of valium for 2 years. They were originally prescribed by my doctor but when a tolerance developed I started buying them and my intake skyrocketed. At my worst I was taking 60mg a day but in the last year tapered down - but not far enough evidently.

If you're on a small dose and taper off very gradually I wouldn't worry too much. The psychological addiction can be bad though I know. I really miss my crutch now it's gone...But to be honest I wish I'd never taken even one. They don't teach you how to cope with panic and you have to come off them sometime...though they can be very helpful if used sparingly and in low doses overseen by a good GP.

BoeingBonkers
17-10-10, 15:13
I took diazepam for 2 years at very high doses. I was not prescribed them, I used to buy them. I had to taper off them VERY slowly after my source ran out, with the help og my GP. I never had a full blown panic attack whilst comming off them but I did have symptoms of anxiety. I was down to 0.5 of a miligram almost when I finally came of them!

Inspires
17-10-10, 21:26
Sweetie,

I've had experience of coming off Lorazepam, 'cold turkey' and it was indescribable.

I had been taking these prescribed drugs, for 25years, so you can safely say that I was well and truly addicted! :weep:

Although 'clean' after 12months I still suffer from terrible side effects.

You definitely need to taper off Valium very slowly, and ensure you have back up of psychiatrist or GP.

If you need a chat, I'm always here...

Take care,

Sue x :flowers: