PDA

View Full Version : anxiety in public spaces.....

ruthd
03-03-04, 22:37
Hello all,

I am a new member in this forum and a have spoken to nicola about posting this message.

I am a PhD student at the Royal College of Art in London, and am researching how to design for feelings of anxiety and discomfort in public urban spaces.

I am really interested in hearing experiences of elements in public spaces which make people feel uncomfortable and also in finding out things which might help coping with the space. Although obviously I am interested in views from agoraphobics, I am also looking for people to tell me experiences from a more general anxiety and panic perspective. A feeling I also have some experience of.

I have developed a photo questionnaire of two london shopping spaces ( you don't need to have been to them ) which I am looking for people to fill in. If you are ineterested in this please email me directly at ruthvdillon@aol.com. and i can send you a copy.

Or if you would just like to share some info on spaces or things in space which make you feel uncomfortable please post a message here.

Thankyou in advance for your help and stories.

Ruth

red
03-03-04, 22:57
Hi Ruth
Always glad to help anyone who can help us sufferers! What a good thing to know that someone is thinking about the design of 'places' for us too. It seems that most other dibilitating conditions are catered for like wheelchair users and people who have difficulty with any kind of mobility. The problem that a lot of us have with mobility is that we are 'mentally' unable to walk around!

My main anxiety trigger in public spaces seems to be the lighting - this is also the case in gyms, meeting rooms of any kind, shoping centres, supermarkets etc

Hope this helps - and good luck!

Red

twister
05-03-04, 00:24
I mainly get agorophobic in closed spaces (apparently this is not claustrophobia though!).

I agree though that bright lights are evil for freaking panickers out!

Emily

stimpy
09-03-04, 10:42
I always said shops should shut their doors to ordinary customers for an hour a day to allow people with panic disorder to shop in peace, while they play us whale music and dim the lights or give us a personal shopper who will go with us while we shop.

For me personally, bright lights, too much noise, trolleys heading towards me, too many people and being stuck in a long queue.
We always joked there should be an express line, baskets and panic related disorders only.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

ruthd
11-03-04, 10:41
its really interesting that you all mention lighting. Does this count outside as well as in. ie, night time street lighting?

stimpy
11-03-04, 10:51
You know I've never had a problem with street lighting.
But tube lighting, and indoor lamp lighting, computer monitors and the tv screen do have moments when they feel way to bright.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

kate
11-03-04, 10:58
Hiya All,

I find shop lighting terrifying, always guaranteed to make me feel panicky.

I think if the lighting was less bright, my fear of supermarket panic would be reduced considerably.

Kate x

ruthd
11-03-04, 11:43
i was also wondering if anyone could think of anything which might help, or trigger in outside spaces

red
11-03-04, 11:56
Hi Ruth - will try to the questionnaire this afternoon - I am going off for a long week-end tomorrow morning and am getting loads of stuff done at work before I do that!

The trigger for me is the feeling of 'unrealness' you get whether a sufferer or not - however, with a sufferer, this can happen with or without lighting - the lighting just brings it on as it simulates what we would feel anyway ad therefore exacerbates it.

Artificial lighting os any sort does it for me! Street lights - especially orange ones, supermarket, railway stations, airports etc.

Hope this helps

Red

ruthd
11-03-04, 12:14
Thanks Red.
Its really interesting to look at why , as well as what.
That kind of explains the lighting. I think everyone gets a horrible feeling around too many flourescent lights.
No rush on the questionnaire by the way , was just checking you could open it!

What also interests me is what elements I could look at designing which woudn't necessarily stop the anxiety ( although that would be nice!) but things which could be designed in to helpcoping in case of a PA.
To use your analogy red, there are ramps out there for use by wheelchair users, but nothing dealing with less 'physical' issues.
stimpy- I like the idea of an express queue in the supermarket...

nomorepanic
12-03-04, 22:49
ruthd

Hiya - read my post about loo lighting or is that not relevant to this?

Blue lights in loos!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=450)

Nicola

KW
18-02-05, 14:59
Hi

It's so reassuring to read that other people experience what i do. I find bright lighting a real pain. The office I work in has got bright lights and to add to matters i look at a computer screen all day. I find it difficult to make eye contact with people and focus sometimes when i look away from the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

KW

bluebottle
18-02-05, 15:11
Hi Ruth,

What about a "panic" room where people who feel panicky or frightened could go and get a bit of peace and quiet, and regain their composure?

At Christmas I was at a NHS walk-in centre and felt faint and luckily a paramedic was there and let me sit in the ambulance for 5 minutes which stopped me feeling faint and immediately took away my anxiety.

I would love to think that mental illness is given as much consideration as physical illness where disability is concerned, and the environment in which we have to live and work.

Regards,

Blue
--
Take little steps and remember it is OK if your recovery is not a smooth one.

KW
18-02-05, 15:17
Hi Ruth

Personally bright lighting doesn't help my anxiety

KW

FAN
18-02-05, 16:25
hi kw do you use one of those clip on covers that go on the monitor to cut out the flicker they are quite helpful and dont make the eyes as tired either

fan x

bubbles
18-02-05, 21:29
Ruth,

My main problem when out "in public" in places like supermarkets has always been the lights, similar to many people in these posts.
Also, strange feelings of 'not quite being there', all a bit unreal, which can make one feel quite nauseous

Will email you for the questionnaire.

Linda.

bubbles
18-02-05, 21:35
Ruth,
Have just tried to send email to address given in your opening post, doesn't recognise email address---.

Linda.

nomorepanic
18-02-05, 22:55
I am getting returned emails too.

Ruth - is your email address right?

Nicola

FAN
19-02-05, 13:50
think this posting is too out of date ruth last posted in march last year so maybe the email no longer exists

fan x

gingerone
19-02-05, 14:48
Hi there i used to suffer from this problem for a while but then i learned to cope with it by telling my self thing like i am fine and ask my self simple questions like is it true for example i alway thought i was going to die so id say is it true> then think no then ask my self again is it 100% true no turn it around as in how would i feel without it? great so it may not help but maybe this will when people are down scared worried just think of a really good time you had.
xxx

c j giff

jo-jo
19-02-05, 15:14
Tee hee Liz, totally love your idea of an 'anxiety shopping hour' with dimmed lighting, whale music and a personal shopper!!! If only :D

Ruth, sorry I don't think I can add anything much to your reserach as most of my anxiety/panic triggers have been indoor events, however I sometimes get a little uncomfortable where there are lots of people, especially when I can't get through a crowd of people.

Wishing you all the very best with your PdD you brave, dedicated person!

Best wishes
Jo

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

nomorepanic
19-02-05, 18:45
Fan - thanks - I never noticed that. I have unsubscribed her from the topics she was watching as well.

Nicola