PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Self-Help

Robertc160882
09-03-06, 09:23
I hope this can help some people

Anxiety is the body's physical response to a situation which demands a response such as fight or flight. Anxiety can be a very useful response - when in the jungle and faced with a roaring lion, you have two choices, kill the lion or run away - fight or flight. The situations which may cause us anxiety today may not require those responses, but our body prepares itself anyway, by releasing adrenaline into our bloodstream. The physical symptoms that we experience as a result, can also be disturbing. We begin to sweat, our heart beats faster and we may experience palpitations, we may have pain, and our breathing rate increases. Some people experience "butterflies in the stomach", the urge to go to the toilet, feel light-headed, dizzy or experience nausea, numbness, tingling or tremors. If these symptoms are severe, then they are described as a panic attack and can resemble a heart attack - that fear of illness or death or of going crazy will only worsen the symptoms. See section below for first aid treatment for a panic attack. If we learn to slow down our breathing, breathe deeply and slowly, then we can minimise the symptoms and feel calmer.

There are many triggers to stress and anxiety:

They may include: relationship problems, loss of someone close, loss of a job, financial problems, lack of sleep, work-related worries, abuse or physical illness.

It is important that everyone learns to control stress or anxiety to a manageable level. Please read the Relaxation page for various relaxation methods - particularly the breathing techniques which will be referred to here. There are several methods of anxiety management which can be practised at home, and I will briefly discuss them here.

Identify the situations or thoughts that cause anxiety. It is only by identifying them that you will learn to control the anxiety. Consider the following:

When do I feel anxious - where am I? Who am I with? etc

How do other people cope in this situation?

Is there anything I can do differently?

Am I allowing myself enough time?

Is there anyone I can talk to or telephone?

Is there a self-help group that could help?

Positive Self-Talk

Use positive self-talk and affirmations - tell yourself "I can ..." or "I will ..." and avoid the negative self-talk that you may be more used to. See Self-Esteem page for more information.

Visualisation

Before you go into a situation that you know causes anxiety, visualise the situation one step at a time. Visualise yourself succeeding and coping. You may become aware of the anxiety, but imagine yourself using your breathing techniques and controlling that anxiety. Use your positive self-talk, and see a good outcome.

Exposure

If you identify that there is one or more certain situations in which you become anxious, then you can learn to use a technique called exposure. You should initially learn your breathing technique as described on the Relaxation page. You may choose to prepare yourself for facing your anxiety by using the visualisation and self-talk methods beforehand. I will use the example of a person who becomes anxious when shopping in a supermarket. Make a plan which is appropriate to your own situation and level of anxiety. You may need to start by just being in the car park, or the doorway. As your anxiety symptoms kick in, then use your breathing techniques until your breathing returns to normal. You can gradually increase the time you spend doing that each time, before you progress to entering the store itself. Every time you go, spend a little more time, going a little further in. It is important that your breathing return to normal, and you feel comfortable with the situation before you leave. Practice regularly, and don't be put off by set backs.

It may help to keep a diary of your progress - how you felt, what you did, how long it took etc, to let you know how well you're doing.

Time Management

Plan your day - list the chores or activities that nee