PDA

View Full Version : In need of some reassurance

ama
13-10-10, 14:18
Hi Guys,

I'm having a bit of a difficult time at the moment. I've just recently started having driving lessons, about 3 weeks ago, after years and years of putting it off. A lot of people tell me that being able to drive will help my anxiety, the sense of freedom, that I can go anywhere I want without having to rely on someone else. I've got my theory booked and the lessons are going well but I'm so anxious, all the time. I can't concentrate at work and I just feel this immense pressure.

I'm trying to not let the negative thoughts get the better of me but I'm so anxious, especially about my theory test. And I guess that deep down I'm worried that even after my theory test, I'm still going to feel this immense stress, pressure and anxiety and it's really bothering me. I don't know what to do. Pushing through the thoughts everyday can be some what tiring. It's nice to get it off my chest though.

Thanks for listening.

sharon35
13-10-10, 14:28
Weldone you for starting your lesons, im the same as you but i havent had the courage to start mine, ive wanted to for years and years.
I hope you can get some breathing space after your theory to contiune with your lessons.

GOOD LUCK !! :D

paula lynne
13-10-10, 15:39
Well done, keep going!

Driving lessons stress out the most chilled person...everyone feels the anx....

You are doing so well...keep it up...you'll pass one day and be so glad you stuck at it hun x:yesyes:

pauline
13-10-10, 16:31
Hi you are doing so well its the best thing that you can do learning to drive it really does give you the freedom. Its such a bit confidence booter when you pass as i'm sure you will.

I passed my test 3 years ago at the age of 46 its the best thing i did, even now i think of that day and it fills me with pride, honestly if i can do it you can.

The anxiety will not go away, but keep telling yourself that you can do it. i took 3 kalms before and sucked on a mint or get the bach sweets. take a small water with you.

YOU CAN DO IT. Believe me if you knew me and how bad i was with panic/anxiety and i did it SO CAN YOU.

let us know how it goes.

ama
13-10-10, 18:47
Thanks everyone for you kind and reassuring words! It's funny, how words from others can really help and make you feel better.

I've just got back from a driving lesson, which I was dreading, and it went so well! The boast it's given me is really great! Wish I felt like this all the time.

Will let you know how I get on with my theory next week. Thanks again, your words really mean a lot. I'm feeling really positive. :)

ama
17-10-10, 23:11
Well, the positive thoughts didn't last very long. I'm so nervous about my theory test this week. I really hope I don't fail. I don't know why, I know I can just do it again. I think that failing it will mean I'm stupid. I don't know many people that have failed it to be honest and everyone keeps saying, 'It's really easy' and 'Your sail through it'. Wish I hadn't told anyone now, so then if I did fail it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I've been feeling so worried about it today I decided to clean the whole house. Which was great, kept my mind off of it and kept me busy. Thing is, I've had this constant pain in the side of my chest. It feel like my heart, but it's kind of at the side of my left boob, but in the side, where the bone is. It's like a sharp pain. I'm just wondering if this may have been bought on by feeling worried and anxious? What do you guys think?

paula lynne
17-10-10, 23:15
my aunty failed her test 19 times!! youll do fie, read up a little everyday x
Your pain is probably intercostal muscles from hyperventilating, (although you dont realise it at the time)
Try to relax, and turn the panic into...excitement!
Think of the car youll have................................x:D

heavenly
18-10-10, 09:02
Good luck with your theory and don't be so hard on yourself, driving lessons can be nervewracking without being an anxious person. Well done for doing something positive! xx

ama
21-10-10, 20:36
So, good news, I past! I'm so so chuffed! I was having a mental panic attack on the way to do the test, but once I was there I was fine. The staff there I think could see I was quite anxious and they were really nice.

So, one down, practical to go! Got it booked for early December. I'm so so nervous, mainly because, if I have a proper attack like I did on the day of my theory which is quite likely, I will get the shakes badly and am worried I won't be able to drive properly and maybe not be able to concentrate. I mean, getting nervous before an exam is scary but the fact that I have to drive a car after.... it's really scary!

I've asked my instructor to talk me through what I should expect on the day, that way I'm a bit more prepared and it's reassuring if you know what to expect. Has anyone else got any other tips on trying to stay clam on the day?

Also, the test centre is 40 minutes away and my instructor will be picking me up and taking me there. I'm worried because I don't like panicking in front of people, strangers... and I know, 40 minutes in the car, I'm going to be so panicky on the way there. I'm really tempted to see if my partner can drive me there and I just meet my instructor there. What do you guys think? Would love to hear about others experiences when learning to drive.

Thanks in advance guys :)

ama
17-01-11, 18:22
Hi Guys,

Not been on here in a while. Just wanted to update you with how the practical side of the driving lesson went. I past first time and in fact, apart from being a little anxious on the day it was absolutely fine.

I got myself a small amount of 'Beta Blockers' (I believe they are called), from my Doctor because I was concerned about heart palpitations and my shaking hands causing me a problem driving.

All in all it was a great day.

heavenly
18-01-11, 09:50
Well done, you should be really proud of yourself!! xx

paulst
18-01-11, 13:34
Well done I hope you feel proud of yourself:yesyes:.

donnaanderson
18-01-11, 13:39
congratulations only joined 6 days ago and some days avoid my car altogether unless im with a friend but keep pushing myself :):)

mr badger
18-01-11, 17:08
Well done Ama. Driving is a great freedom and privilege. Enjoy it.

Now, can we lure you to the dark side of two-wheeled transport?

pauline
22-01-11, 14:15
Ama Thats great news you must be so proud and i am really pleased for you. Have you booked your driveing test yet?