PDA

View Full Version : Panic Back Again

Mugshot
13-10-10, 15:31
Hi,

Im new to this forum but have a history of panic attacks/anxiety dating back to 2007.

My first panic attack happened in June 2007, I was at work and hadnt eaten well that day when about 20 minutes before my shift finished I started feeling dizzy and confused and then started panicing. I got taken to hospital and they advised it was a panic attack, I then suffered badly with anxiety with anything related to leaving my home for about a month and ended up having four periods of absence from work because as soon as I tried going I would manage about 2 hours then I would get another episode.

Since this time I have been able to manage my symptoms and even had times where I could go 6 months or more without a panic attack, when I do have one I take myself away from everyone (preferably outside) and let it pass before carrying.

My issue is that on Wed, Thur last week I had to mild attacks but on Sat I had a major one where I started slurring my speech etc. Since then I have been suffering with all signs of anxiety and have been off work (Ive got the usual chills, sweaty clammy hands, feeling weak and faint oh and worst of all waking up startled just as I drift off).

Im going back work tomorrow (well will try) as I dont feel anxious about anything but am still getting the symptoms. I went to the Dr and they are taking my bloods on Monday to make sure everything is okay...my issue is I dont know why its come back when everything has been going great.

I feel alone with this at the moment, my wife is amazing but doesnt understand this condition, I tend to suffer alone but this time its driving me nuts!!!

paula lynne
13-10-10, 15:46
Hi do you take any meds?

A nasty as I callthem, can really knock your confidence, we completely understand here.

Hi do you take any medication?

I hate those "nasty" panics, but you know what it is, and have got through it, thats a positive.:yesyes:

Just go to work...pretending youve NEVER had a panic attack....not caring about them and giving them attention seems to reduce their grip......

Take a paper bag with you, and re-breathe to address the oxygen/carbon dioxide if you need to.

Bach rescue remedy lozenges are discreet, you could try them, they are for sale in the online shop here, or holland and barrats etc.

I hope you feel better soon x:)

Mugshot
13-10-10, 15:52
Back in 2007 the Dr put me on Diazepam but they didnt work and I dont like taking pills so I havent took any meds ever...Im basically trying to put a brave face on it and not let it beat me!

Im going to go for a jog tonight and hopefully this will take the edge off it abit.

I always find that keeping myself busy so I cant think about it helps...sitting here writing is actually helping me abit right now.

Your right about not thinking about it, the more you think about it the more they happen and I think that is why over time they have subsided but for some reason this latest bout has gripped me.

Thank you for your kind words.

paula lynne
13-10-10, 16:49
Hi I dont take meds for my panic and anxiety either...and were still here!!
Good idea going for a jog, burn off the andrenaline and get the endorphins going....keep it up x:)

lyndieloo1980
14-10-10, 18:06
Hi

Your situation sounds the same as mine...my first attack was at work, completley out of the blue...they took me to a&e and i was told it was panic attack. Since 2007 i have suffered on and off and took 2 spells off work 6 months at a time.

I was on citalopram to try and help the panic feelings. I am not on them now and haven't been for over 12 months but just last week I went to doctors and discussed how i felt panic coming back and she prescribed propranalol 10mg which i have felt does help when i feel over panicked.

Anxiety and Panic and both terrible illnesses and i go months and months without feeling anything and then suddenly the anxiety and panic is back.

Just going through a bad stage right now with mine but hopefully it will subside....i just hate feeling o ff balance, lightheaded and legs go weak!!:blush: