PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts appreciated

Sheem
14-10-10, 18:20
Hiya - I'm me. Me is a depressive, social-and-general anxiety suffering control freak. I'm not as bad as it may sound, but it certainly makes me quirky.

Suffered with depression when I was 16, after years of self-esteem issues. To quote an Olive Oyl song - "He's large" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUa_E1CugU).

I developed a really cool mechanism for dealing with bullying, that lead to me bullying myself in a wittier way than the bully, and then ridiculing them for a lack of imagination. As a side-effect, it does mean that you become the de-facto expert on what to say to hurt you - it's not as clever a technique as you might originally convince yourself.

Anyways, I digress - so yes, depression - bout a year or two during college, when I went from hard-working square to rebellious smoking heavy metal fan. Good ole Prozac saw me through that. My pride in my work, an almost always constant due to perfectionism, was reduced to zero. On the bright side, I socialized more.

Social anxiety was through various long-standing issues - physical withdrawal and avoidance when touched or hugged, through projection of feelings of disgust onto the person touching me. I felt their perceived disgust, and withdrew for their benefit. Likewise, my history of relationships amounts to close-to-zero for similar reasons, and the genuine obesity issue. (I can be rational about it, but the more extreme thoughts are there). Also, I suffer from psoriasis, so have periods of looking like Freddie Kruger. Both help to account for the self-esteem issue, which I suspect due to duration underline many of my mental health issues.

Likewise, finding it difficult to walk through busy populated areas - all sorts of wonderful illogical reasons, from fear of having soiled myself (IBS - never, ever happened, but the fear's always there - it's shame and anxiety all wrapped into one), and generally not wanting people to engage with me. I used to self-medicate by using my music as a distraction, but CBT has helped with this.

General anxiety as come from this bed-rock of sound mental health combined with various fears of money and debt after University, an over-developed sense of concern for my disabled Mother, whom I once again live with, my social anxieties, and more recently, a feeling of ineptitude in my work.

I've often used my perfectionism and pride in my work to overcome physical and personal self esteem issues, but with my work load piling up, work-mates increasingly annoyed at my inability to clear projects on time, I'm feeling increasingly anxious. I'm looking for new work, on a rational level to cut down on my big public-transport commute, and to increase wages. On an irrational level, I'm creating fictional enemies 'out to get me', and just have a feeling of wanting to run away - something I did when I originally went to University, 'running away' from a previous job.

My Doctor has always been fantastic - I'm currently off with the flu, and yes, I have been very unwell, but the longer I'm off... well, I'm feeling better, but that's just avoidance. When I receive emails from work, the palpitations kick in, the reactive need to do as much as I can, combined with the "sod it, sod them, sod it all" make attention somewhat difficult. Proved by me writing this when I was coding a web application a few minutes ago, but decided to google anxiety.

During my most recent depression, the anxiety came to the fore, as a result of admitting to bulimia (when I'm low I massively comfort eat, and purge to make myself feel better). I was given Prozac again, and CBT. It was interesting, and the CBT dealt with the very specific examples of social anxiety, but I seem unable to adapt the way of thinking to apply to my other issues.

I am not a suicide risk - I'll repeat, am not. However, I'd be lying to say I didn't have long, well-thought out suicidal thoughts about how I'd plan it and execute it to cause the least inconvenience to all involved afterwards. That's me putting other people first, I'm a real sweet-heart like that. Thankfully the impact I believe it would have is what would certainly prevent me from doing so. Although, perhaps that's me being ego-centric; who can say?

Again, I'll repeat - I'm not a suicide risk - but my tendency to want to run away - it's not surprising suicidal fantasies are in there.

Hm... bulimia, self esteem, depression, anxiety - think that's covered it. I'm not sociopathic or psychopathic, but do include sociopathic / psychopathic tendencies in my skill-set. I can be manipulative (not to those close to me, as a rule), I can be a compulsive liar. I know I am neither, but there are elements, as there were / are of an autistic-style disorder. I try and be in control of social situations - the CBT helped, as I used to try and pre-plan important conversations, taking into account the possible responses of other parties and planning accordingly. This example is a great example of how my mind works, and over-works.

I had a dysfunctional relationship with my now-departed Father, who was unwell most of my teenage years, but gave up the fight, bless him. Also, I have a dysfunctional relationship with my best friend, whom I love dearly in a romantic sense. To become an object of romantic interest I have to become friends with people first, thus setting myself up for a perfect dysfunctional relationship.

There's no real question; this is kind of stream of conciousness. Perhaps an "How to deal with my work suffering?" I'm fearful of coming across as seeking attention, yet simultaneously aware I could and have done so. Again, over-thinking. Interestingly this all kicked off 13 months ago; I wonder if SAD is involved.

Final thought; I think this is a therapy in itself in writing it out. I've written it all out before, but the latest episode of anxiety is annoying; keep getting palpitations when I receive emails from work. Might see my GP, but I hate putting them under stress trying to put the above across in a 10 min appointment, and it takes weeks to see my specific GP; and due to the above content, I don't really want to tell a locum.

tl;dr

Also, I'm Taurian; so that's cool too. Hiya. :smile:

Vixxy
14-10-10, 18:58
Hi Sheem. My husband is a coder and is always under so much pressure at work to get his work done now-now-now. He like you doesn't want to do a bad job, so always takes longer than necessary to get it perfect. So you're not alone there :)
To be honest when I looked back at all the crazy shit I did whilst I was anxious, it all came back to control. The need to control conversations, control your food intake, control situations just builds up the anxiety. As soon as I realised that I have control over very little in my life, I noticed I wasn't as pre-occupied with my anxiety any more.
Maybe I can help you to move your CBT training onto the other aspects of your life. I'm by no means a therapist, but I have just come out of CBT with a pretty solid basis for using it to help others out.

Sheem
14-10-10, 19:18
That's a really kind offer, thank you.

I agree fully, it does all come back to control. If life was a computer program... :)

In many ways, that's where the CBT with the social anxiety took me; ok, so if you're anxious that people will have a problem with you or seek to embarrass you in public:

1: How likely is it? When you're out and about, are you looking at and judging people, or are you more preoccupied completing your task and getting from A to B?

2: So what if they do, how likely are you to see them again?

It did help de-construct the issue in my head.

I think the problem is, since my last bout (say last September - March this year), I've not taken all the right bits from the recovery process. I have a problem with extremes; I worked too hard, I'd pull 9am to 9pm, go home and work. Now, I'm very much in a state of "meh", that I really need to shake off. I feel like I'm living on borrowed time before my Boss, who I get on with really well, is going to be brought in to the equation. I'm a lone-coder, who also does other IT tasks in the place; sort of an IT odd-job man - so the role is a bit lonely, which is both good and bad for me. I find coding to be something really hard to dip in and out of, and when I get distracted, I find it hard to get back into it - like reading a good book. The fact my attention span's worse than normal compounds the problem, with various bits being tossed my way in between. At the basic level, I used to enjoy my work, and still do love most of those I work with, but the place I'm at now... I don't know. I just want out. Or to be away.

Part of the problem is that my current project is for someone I've experienced issues with before. They're extremely forceful and demanding - they've been cited for issues of near-bullying before, though since the accusation they are much improved. The project I'm doing for them has been going on forever - literally forever. We all hoped for it to roll out in September, but between other work tasks, my current situation, and... I'll admit, some degree of harbouring annoyance at their previous behaviour (might well be an excuse) - I just feel a touch hopeless and reactive. I got an email about the old system blowing up - as I say, I'm on sick leave. I immediately downloaded the project and started work on it, again. Then I noticed the palpitations, got resentful and annoyed at the anxiety kicking in, and started googling anxiety; thus my distraction was complete.

Vixxy
14-10-10, 19:23
Another way to look at the social anxiety is to put yourself in their shoes. If you saw someone poop themselves, would you laugh or go over and try and help them hide it from people? I know I would help them :) Of course there are some horrid people out there that might laugh, but who gives a rats ass about them? They're pond scum anyway!
In regards to your work. Hmm well if you look at it from a "normal" persons perspective. Would a normal person stay in a job that they're not enjoying? Probably not. They also wouldn't feel bad for leaving it and finding something else they might enjoy more.
Maybe if you get that one project out of the way, the job won't seem so bad any more?