PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia turning into Eating Disorder?

HelenLouise
14-10-10, 21:16
Please Help!

I think my emetophobia is turning into an eating disorder.
Lately i've been so scared to eat incase i feel sick or throw up from food.
I know this is really irrational and i don't get why it has suddenly got this bad.

I am so hungry but eating makes me feel sick. I think its all psychological as i have no other symptoms and its like my tummy wants me to eat but my mind is saying "no" and making me think food is disgusting.

I don't know what to do! i really want to eat and i don't want to lose weight :(!

This is worrying me :( xxx

JaneC
14-10-10, 21:26
Hi HelenLouise, I looked at your profile and see you are a student. Is there a counsellor you could talk to about this or could you speak to a doc?

HelenLouise
14-10-10, 21:43
Hey!

Yeah I am on the waiting list for Cognitive behavioural therapy but it looks like i'm going to have to go back to my gp about this :(.

I have been waiting ages for this therapy :(

Not sure if my university has a counselling service but will have to check. xxx

JaneC
14-10-10, 21:51
Sorry you're having to wait so long for CBT but I'm glad to hear you're thinking of speaking to someone meantime.

I'm not trying to scare you but I just watched a prog on TV about eating disorders and it really upset me even though having anorexia is something that's in the distant past for me.

I just think no-one can afford to let these kind of thoughts get any sort of grip on them xx

Helen Noelle
14-10-10, 22:34
Please Help!

I think my emetophobia is turning into an eating disorder.
Lately i've been so scared to eat incase i feel sick or throw up from food.
I know this is really irrational and i don't get why it has suddenly got this bad.

I am so hungry but eating makes me feel sick. I think its all psychological as i have no other symptoms and its like my tummy wants me to eat but my mind is saying "no" and making me think food is disgusting.

I don't know what to do! i really want to eat and i don't want to lose weight :(!

This is worrying me :( xxx

Hi Helen,

I'm also 33 years of age and have been suffering with emetophobia since i was 13. I feel exactly the same as you about eating, some days are just either better or worse than others. I am of thin build so when i get my bad days its so much worse as i find it very hard to eat because i'm convinced i have caught something. I have never spoken to anyone who suffers with emetophobia before so talking to you is just great

Steff
14-10-10, 23:29
Hey Helen Louise,

I had this problem before I even knew what my Emetophobia was. I started on my safe foods, such as crackers and dry things. I eventually added spreads to my toast and then progressed onto eating spur of the moment when feeling brave. I lost alot of weight and was very ill. You honestly just have to believe in yourself, that you can eat things and it won't upset your tummy or anything! Then you learn to trust the foods you have managed with and build up your diet again :)

CBT is a great help, please have a look at this website

http://www.emetophobia.bravehost.com/index.html

I use it with my CBT and therapy, it's been a great help

Hope this ifo is of some help, even though you might feel helpless

:hugs:Steff xx