PDA

View Full Version : Pls reply if you have had these symptoms...

erica aaa
09-03-06, 17:48
I am feeling very scared that the anxiety I am feeling is out of control and not felt in the same way by other people: Three days ago my relationship seemed to have finally broken down after a few months of feeling under a huge amount of pressure from my partner to create the 'perfect home'. I have come home to my mothers for some tlc, but from about 3am each morning I wake up with the same feeling you get when you jolt awake thinking you have heard a noise/burgular: like huge rushes of adrenaline. These adrenaline rushes go on for a few hours together with shakes and cold sweats and a dry mouth. It gets a bit better buring the day but the jittery feeling and shaking still remains to a lesser extent and I just feel out of control. The doctor has prescribed diazepam for short term relief, but I guess I just want to know this is in some way normal and that it will eventually go away. I have never been someone that reacts badly to stress and it's just really scary. I don't feel well enough to walk around and feel constantly sick.

gonecrazy
09-03-06, 17:57
Yes, I've had that... just last night in fact. Woke up like a shock and just had a hard time getting to sleep. I am panicky today and my left arm feels weak and shakey.

erica aaa
09-03-06, 18:10
Thanks for your reply. It just won't seem to go away - it's been like this for three days - nightime is the worst as I just toss and turn shaking, and during the day I suddenly feel it building up and it know it won't go away until I take the diazapam. I've recently lost weight and am now in the severely underweight category. I haven't been to work since, and don't think I can face it - I don't feel like I could even go to the shop. Did you find it came on this suddenly?

gonecrazy
09-03-06, 18:27
Yes, and that seems to be the worst of it.. It just comes on out of nowhere with no warning... and I think that is why it's so scary.

vernon
09-03-06, 18:59
Hi Erica, sorry you are feeling so bad but yes, this is pretty comon with anxietyand it will go in time, I had a real terrible time for a while waking early hors sweating and bad palps and unbeleivable fear. I still sweat lots in my sleep and still wake a little nervouse even now but the bad patch you are talking about will go. Take care. Vernon

wendy
09-03-06, 19:48
Hi
I went through a very bad anxiety patch a few weeks ago and found in the night I would sit up bolt upright in a state of panic
Im sure this will go away once you feel better in yourself
I am still getting this occasionally but it does get better and sure will eventually go away
Take Care
Wendy x

erica aaa
09-03-06, 19:50
Thanks guys - I can't believe there is a site where so many people are trying to help eachother. It is going to be such a relief to wake up one morning to find it's not as bad and that there may be an end to it. It feels like a constant caffeine overdose, but wish I knew that you only had to wait for it to pass.

I hope you all have a good sleep tonight.

erica

Meg
09-03-06, 20:31
Erica

Everything you are describing are common anxiety and fear symptoms.
Night panics happen when you have lots for your brain to sift through and process overnight

Nothing like a panic attack at 3:30 am (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2701)
Sudden nighttime attacks (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24)
Waking Up With A Panic Attack In The Night (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5211)
Bad Morning !!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5692)
Panic attacks during sleep. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5796)
It's Back! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5769)
Waking Startled at Night (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5951)
Panic Attacks....During Sleep (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6385)
panic attack in sleep (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7118)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
09-03-06, 21:40
Totally common, I most certainly have experienced this, usually in patches.

I find by trying to make bed time as low key and relaxing as I can tends to help. I sometimes give myself 10 mins of breathing slowly and calmly when I first get into bed helps too.

Don't let it bother you because it will pass eventually.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Paddington
09-03-06, 21:58
hello there.Yes i too have had [and still havesometimes]the exact same symptoms.I know how terrifying it can be.i also use valium.But i find lavender oil[a good one]really helpsit proven to be a lovely gentle relaxent.Do try it out,have look on the remadies forum 4 other ideas to help u.Piglet is sooo right .i used to dread bed time and sit up till the early hours to avoid sleep.but this just made matters worse.after joining this forum i can go to bed with good thought s in my head,and i drift off,yep sure there are times when i jump and assume i'm gasping my last,so i get up and log on!Works every time.hope you feel better soon.it will pass.Love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

henri
09-03-06, 23:33
hi there,
the jolting awake in the middle of the night thing used to happen to me a lot. since i quit my job (which was majorly triggering my panic), it has all but stopped.
took a while for the whole thing to subside but it did eventually.
just keep telling yourself that there is nothing seriously wrong with you and that it will pass. i promise it will get better,
henri x

ashley
10-03-06, 00:14
I used to get that bolt uprite panic thing at night, and once got myselfin such a state about it all. i never slept solid for a week because i was too scared to sleep, that one was ages ago... and im still here living... for a while anyway ..properley gonna peg it because of eptopic beats but there,we wont go there on that one this time round.

Its panic love , it does that to you ... i would wake up with my heart racing like a mad man, real nasty .i would open the window and put my head out the window and let the cold air bring me to my senses.. thats a nasty feeling-- thats what i call 100% pure adrenline... cant beat it and for free cant be bad... (just one of my sick jokes) truth is love i really feel for you.... i feel for everyone on this site because some of us have different symtoms, some the same ,but when it all comes down to it , we are either sad or are in fear...or worse like most with both...it works together... we all feel the same feeling Fear, and that makes me cry , so im sure it does you guys too...i wouldnt wish this s**t on my worst enemy...its the not knowing that makes things worse too...not knowing if its anxiety or not... i mean thats what we think dont we... we are either convinced we are terminally ill, or we are not sure..but when we except that it is anxiety boy what a relif...

oppps waffle alert... sorry

ash x

Ma Larkin
10-03-06, 09:47
Hi Erica, I developed anxiety with panic attacks exactly a year ago after a breakdown in a relationship. Unfortunately, I still have them now. I've managed to control the panic attacks somewhat & like you I take diazepam (2mg as & when needed). I don't know why they started, I was very upset over the split, but I'm completely over it now I guess, yet I still suffer from anxiety. I wake up constantly with exactly the same feelings as you, feel really lonely most of the time. We're staying with my mum (got 3 kids as well) for a while & to be honest I'm dreading going home & coping alone with the kids, but I have to get a grip & do it soon because my middle daughter is really homesick & missing her friends. If I could just get over the jitters & heart symptoms (palpitations, missed beats, shortness of breath) then I'd be more than happy. I don't know how long this thing takes to go away, if it ever will I just don't know, but it is really common Erica. Your doctor can also prescribe you something for nausea, I lost 3 stone in a matter of weeks, I couldn't eat anything at all, not even build-up drinks would stay down. It is scary Erica, & I really hope that yours is just temporary probably because of the split. You'll feel a lot more reassured coming on this site. There are some great people & we're all going through the same thing. Just take each day at a time.

Les

erica aaa
10-03-06, 10:21
Thanks so much for your replies...

How do you manage to go back to work or your usual day-to-day stuff? It has only been four days since this started and although seems to be getting a bit better, the adrenaline rushes and shaking start coming back once the valium starts to wear off. Did you have to take time off work? Everybody is telling me to put all thought to the back of my mind, but it's a physical feeling inside that's controlling my body no matter what I think about. It just nver seems to stop, but I have to say that taking to my friends helps put things into perspective and make me feel 'normal' for a short time.

e.x

Ma Larkin
10-03-06, 10:39
I work full-time Erica. I feel really anxious right now but I get through the day. I figured if I had to take time off work because of this then it would be too easy a way out. I want to live as normal a life as possible & seeing as I have to put up with this daily I just try to carry on as best I can. I have days where my anxiety is really, really bad, but I've never had a day off work yet. I've had panic attacks in work, but I have an escape because the Occupational Health Unit is right next door, they are aware of my disorder & if I have a panic attack I go to Occy Health to calm down. The nurse usually checks my BP & pulse & talks to me, then I just go back to the office once I've sorted myself out. It is a scary feeling Erica, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy but it does get easier, you learn to cope & for lots of people it is only temporary due to circumstances.

Les.

erica aaa
10-03-06, 10:42
Les/Ma Larkin,

Just wanted to say how sorry I feel for you - not only having to worry about how you feel yourself but having to take care of your children also. For me I think it's the unknown as to how everything is going to resolve itself and not knowing what my partner is thinking (we're having 'space'), but really let down and disappointed when we speak that there is so little support and care. I hope you can find small ways to take your life forward and gradually feel the rewards.

e.x

Ma Larkin
10-03-06, 10:50
Thanks Erica, that really means a lot to me. I struggle to cope, but I have my good days & bad days, but at the end of the day I am here for my kids & that's all that matters, & they are all the rewards I need. I hope you can sort things out with your partner & try not to worry too much, it just makes it worse. I know its easier said than done, but we're all survivors & we will all get through this some day.

Good luck & take care.

Les

Jason37
10-03-06, 11:09
Hi Erica,
What you're experiencing is to be expected, I'm afraid. Your brain is processing some ultra-scary stuff while you sleep, and isn't coping well such a short time after the shock. And it is a shock, like a physical one.
Just before last Christmas I had the news broken to me by my wife that our marriage was over. We have a son and daughter. So I understand your shock, and your terrible fears. Two and a half months later, I have only just started to sleep a little better. I can get to sleep, but was waking up in the hours before dawn, terribly anxious, and unable to get back to sleep. No sleeping tablets would help, although I steered clear of Valium as my sister who has taken it persuaded me not to.
Now I take Valerina, a herbal valerian supplement you can buy in Boots. Initially it didn't stop me waking up, but I felt it made me less anxious when I did wake. In the last few days I think it has helped me get back to sleep.
I also have a CD player by the bed with a calming relaxation music CD in it. When I wake up I press play and that seems to relax me too.
The other things I have tried include deep breathing (breathing 'properly' from your diaphragm muscles) and rubbing your tummy clockwise... quite comforting even if not exactly a powerful cure!
Also if you are not eating enough or drinking enough water, or if you have vitamin deficiencies, these things can help to disrupt your sleeping patterns too. So don't let those things happen to you - eat sensibly, drink water, don't go to bed on an empty tummy, have warm milky drinks (if you like them) before bed, cut out caffeine and those sorts of sensible things. They will start to help.
You don't half end up tired all the time when you wake up in the night like that, I was exhausted, I don't know how I carried on going. But I did. And you will too.
Keep in touch with this website, and explore it. There are lots of handy tips to be found if you look.
I really wish you well, and hope you feel better soon.
Send me a PM message any time. We are all in this together, I promise you. I have had help from a few wonderful people.
Take care of yourself,
Jason
xx

erica aaa
10-03-06, 12:01
Thanks Jason - you're right - I'm taking the next two weeks off work to try to put back on some of the weight I've lost because feeling weak and faint certainly isn't helping. I'm sorry to hear about your wife - you have all these dreams and plans that mean the future is all going to be the life everone strives to have and then gradually the person you had trusted needed you as much as they let you need them decide they have different priorities.
i don't know that my relationship is definitely over and I don't think that's helping: I feel stupid that I'm weak enough to just wait for my partner to decide what he wants for us - I should be stronger and tell him he's bl@@dy lucky to have me in the first place, but it all just seems to be such a mess and time seems like the only option right now.

Anyway, after that little outburst, just wanted to say how much just hearing from you all has helped as only yesterday I thought the doctor didn't know what to do with me there was no-one else that felt this way.

e.x

jackie
10-03-06, 13:16
yes i have those feelings especially on and off throughout the month

you are not alone
jackie

Jason37
10-03-06, 15:19
Erica, I sent you a PM. Don't know if you've worked out how to access them yet - I only say that because it took me a while to realise!!
Go well.
Jason
xx

Meg
10-03-06, 16:11
Some of my symptoms and explinations. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4495)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

erica aaa
10-03-06, 18:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Erica, I sent you a PM. Don't know if you've worked out how to access them yet - I only say that because it took me a while to realise!!
Go well.
Jason
xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Jason37 - 10 March 2006 : 15:19:50</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I don't know how to access PM? Pls could someone tell me what to do?

Thanks

e

nomorepanic
10-03-06, 18:16
You need to go to your PM inbox - top left hand side - about 4 lines down.

Nicola