PDA

View Full Version : Hi - 30, Female, Brighton here

Rose x
09-03-06, 22:36
Hi there x

I'm 30 and live in Brighton. Recently 'came out' about my condition, after suffering with severe panic attacks and anxiety that is gradually disabling me [Sigh...] The only thing I worry about is that now this problem is all out in the open I find that I can't try to control it, not that I could anyway, but I find that it makes me think of it more and it gradually seems to be constantly on my mind. Perhaps it's common to get worse before better once help is sought (as in talkiing about it), I don't know.

Great to be here.

x

trac67
09-03-06, 22:45
Hi Rose,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Karlie
09-03-06, 22:59
Hi rose,

Im in a very similar situation to you, recently 'came out' and it does seem like i have even less controll now than i did before, but look at it as though there are now more more people around you than ever before to help you now.

Take care

Love Karlie xx

KM

jill
09-03-06, 23:11
Hi Rose,

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

There are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conquers fear.

sal
09-03-06, 23:25
Hi Rose

Welcome to the site

Thinking of you and we are all here to help you though this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Sue K with 5
09-03-06, 23:32
Hi Rose

I was exactly the same when i "Came out" lol I have to chuckle when I say that. Especially as I live in brighton too.

For a while I think the realisation hits harder because you can at last share this and the anxiety tends to heighten but after a while it does subside.

Well done for finding this site and if you ever want to chat Pm me or email me.

We live in the same town and your not alone anymore

Sue with 5

scknight

Rose x
09-03-06, 23:39
Thanks so much... I felt so alone, especially when not either at work or at home i.e. when in the big wide world. It makes me feel so insecure, lonely with no sense of time, no feelings inside - empty, can't even try to walk to the bus stop which I did every day for so many years. Every step seems like an effort and the adrenaline escalates. It's like I have to be close to the car too, (when I can use the car), as I wonder how I could possibly make those few short steps back to the car.
Have started to ring my mum, now that she knows about it, whenever I feel panicky for reassurance and to help try to calm me down. Find that concentrating on breathing and trying to breathe slowly makes me forget how to breathe and get worse! Also hate the 24 hour anxious/nervous feeling I seem to now live with, let alone the panic attacks.

Anyway, thanks so much for the kind words, just had a quick read of a few posts and makes me feel slightly better already. Hope you are all feeling ok.

andrew england 2
10-03-06, 02:08
hi rose welcome to the forum

u will learn all u need to learn here and u will win

best wishes

andrew

Alexandra
10-03-06, 07:20
Hi Rose

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Robertc160882
10-03-06, 09:08
Hi Rose,

Welcome to the forum I think we are all in the same position it isn’t nice having to tell people because it isn’t easy to explain and most people don’t really know what to do. The way I look at is that I used to think to myself what is happening to me now I think what am I doing to myself stop been so silly. I think you will think about it more because people may talk about more and want to understand.

You did the right thing getting it out in the open and here is hoping you find the right tools and coping mechanisms to get over this for good. It is possible to make a full recovery and lead a normal life just keep telling yourself.

Best of luck.

Robert

Ma Larkin
10-03-06, 10:10
Welcome Rose, don't you find anxiety & panic attacks so under-rated by non-sufferers. Just because it isn't a big wart on the end of our nose that people can see, it seems to get brushed under the carpet a lot. My mum was a total non-believer until something traumatic happened in her life. She was the "pull yourself together" type, but now sympathises with my symptoms, having had a taste of it herself. It is a debilitating disease, which prisons some people. Luckily, I don't suffer from social anxiety, but I so sympathise with people who do, to become a prisoner in your own home because of fear of the unknown must be the hardest thing anyone has to go through. It does help to talk about it, especially with other sufferers. Now you have 'come out' you will find some of your friends & family will understand, but there are going to be people who won't understand. We all go through this, but we're not alone Rose & its nothing to be ashamed of. You'll meet some lovely people on this site & get so much advice on any subject you want to discuss.

Remember we're always here. Take care.

Les

seh1980
10-03-06, 10:21
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

nomorepanic
10-03-06, 11:29
Hi Rose

Just wanted to welcome you aboard and hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

skye338
10-03-06, 11:45
Hi Rose

Welcome to the site...new here myself but it has been such a relief to find people who actually understand what you are talking about.
Jx

Jodieg
10-03-06, 14:24
Hi Rose,

Some people look on anxiety and panic attacks as mental illness or some look on it as not a real illness, not valid. knowing this, I was ashamed to tell people what was going on and ended up making excuses for why I wouldnt go out and do things like I used to be able to.

Please do not let it totally disable you, it will cause you to become agoraphobic and things will be so much harder if you leave it to spiral out of control.

Think about what you can do now and work it from there. Even if you can only go 2 minutes from home... its a start and you can make progress from there. Even if you get a little further and have to come home, thats fine, but please dont get to the stage where you are totally housebound. Ive been there done that and I tell you, it is so much harder to get back on track!

I live in Eastbourne, 45 mins from you, just in case you wanted to know, but make use of what you can find to do in Brighton

Good luck. Take care
Love Jodie xxx

Lozzie
10-03-06, 15:00
Hi Rose xx

Welcome to the site xx

You will find lots of useful information and reassurance from people on this site.

Laura xx

Meg
10-03-06, 15:46
Hi Rose

Welcome to the site. What you are describing is extremely common.

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps: First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

Yes it is usual for once yo have come out about it that it is often a more difficult patch temporarily as it is always on your mind and you can talk about it more freely so those thoughts don't leave as easily. It is good to have shared it and not kept it a secret.

Try to channel the talk into progressive and positive messages for progress.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

hemin
10-03-06, 18:35
hi rose

in new to this site aswell and it is so reasuring to know that we are not alone......before finding this site i would always think to myself "am i the only one in the world who feels like this" now i know im not and we can now all help each other

nic x

Karen
10-03-06, 20:48
Hi Rose

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

sal
10-03-06, 23:58
Hi Rose so pleased you have realised you are not alone and we are all here to help and support you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Alexandra
12-03-06, 10:45
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi rose

in new to this site aswell and it is so reasuring to know that we are not alone......before finding this site i would always think to myself "am i the only one in the world who feels like this" now i know im not and we can now all help each other

nic x

<div align="right">Originally posted by hemin - 10 March 2006 : 18:35:27</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote"> Hi Hemin

Welcome to the forum as well.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Piglet
12-03-06, 11:59
Welcome to the site :D

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Rose x
14-03-06, 09:49
Thanks, you're all very kind and welcoming.

Paddington
14-03-06, 11:00
hi Rose,welcome aboard.Bravo for being brve enough to 'come out'!I have never thought of being so forthright.I simply accept that peole see me as ,and i quote..oversensative,dramatic,chatterbox,funny,moo dy you with me?I have tried once with my best friend and boy ,i didn't see her backside 4 dust,ha ha ha ha!!i hope you get the support you deserve.We are al here too.Well done,love mary-rose[froma rose to a rose!!]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Rose x
15-03-06, 16:07
Thanks Mary.

I have had a bad couple of days, like I said with it all getting worse each day so quickly at the moment.. Even a few days ago seem like such a long time ago and I can't imagine doing what I did then.

Had a really bad panic attack at a friend house on my own yesterday and had to get people to come to collect me, I couldn't drive, phoned NHS direct!, friends etc but couldn';t calm down. Was so hot and yet sooo cold and shivering, pacing up and down, heart hammering, couldn't breathe. The attack just kept coming and coming. Went home and phoned the doctor, he kindly phoned back and told me to take 'Calms' over night and then see him in the morning. I saw him this morning, surprisingly calm, and now have to contemplate pro-panalol the beta bloker things. THought I was ok after that as he was so kind and caring and encouraging, even with a waiting list full of people and running so late! I had always seen the other doctors at the surgery who all seemed quite hard. i was so please with myself for making it there and remaining so calm there. Then later on today I went to a local shop in the car with my dad, i was fine. Then for a drive in the countryside with parents and had to come home. It's like nervously sitting on a ticking time bomb every second of the day, isn't it. Just had to get home. Tried to have a sleep but couldnt relax and if I did I would have nasty images running around my mind like a nightmare.

On Monday I chased the doctors about an anxiety management course i was supposed to go on in october but had heard nothing! Also about counselling. They will re-referr.

And a friend gave me the details for a private counsellor who lives close to me, I will be seeing him tomorrow night if all goes well. This will be my first experience of a counsellor- really hope it works!

Took the day off work today as the doc said to. Am now worried about going back tomorrow. So worried as I never wanted this to affect my work. I always felt safe at home and work. Will have to see what happens.

These feelings of worry have come upon me 24/7 for the last few days... gradually getting to this point, worse and worse. Before it would pass.

Also cannot stop crying all the time - non-stop almost. And no sign of my period this month, was supposed to start this week. I thought this was the PMT but obviously not as it's turned out so bad.

Sorry about that just letting it out a bit here!

nomorepanic
15-03-06, 18:19
Rose

It sounds like you are having a really bad time with things at the moment so sorry to hear that.

I hope you managed to get to see the counsellor tonight - how did it go if you did?

Try to get some time to lay quietly and get yourself a good relaxation CD to listen to and learn how to do abdominal breathing as this will really help with the panic attacks.

Make sure you are eating regularly and healthily and take some Vitmain B complex to support your nervous system.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Nicola

Paddington
16-03-06, 00:16
oh rose,i am sorry you had astinker of a day,it as you say like sitin on a bomb,but it will pass i am sure ,you seem to have found a better dr[stick with him,they are hard to find]and the counselor too,let me know how it goes.i've had a smelly day too!Cryin shakin etc,it too will pass tho,good to talk to others isn't it.love mary-rosexxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

jojo
16-03-06, 12:20
hi rose,
im jo and i also live in brighton,welcome to the site,and if you fancy a chat then pm me
jojo

j.benson

Karen
16-03-06, 18:12
Hi Rose

Sorry you've been having a bad time.

How did the counselling go?

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

solota
17-03-06, 11:00
Hi, I live down the road from you in Sompting. I also feel that I'm not going to get better if I keep thinking about it but the way I look at it is if you don't do something and get support how are you ever going to begin to control it. So, don't worry from reading around the site it seems that it is so much more common than I thought. Perhaps one day we'll try to meet up for a coffee and a chat.

plazz34
02-09-07, 17:41
Hello, i've just found this website today and i am touched by the posts on here.
I live just along the coast from Brighton and my name is Pete.
I've just split up from my longterm partner and right now feeling so alone.
She totally accepted the fact that i could not do all the things most people take for granted.....
I can get out and about, but never far from the car.........
This feels like the most difficult message i have ever written.......
I need to talk to somebody that understands......maybe now is the time.....
My life needs to change........i need to face the future whatever it may be.....
All of a sudden i have no real plans......but i want to face this....I've let it beat me for way to long now......

Pete...

Pink Princess
03-09-07, 13:21
http://www.zwani.com/graphics/hello/images/hellopurplebutterfly.gif

love minnie xxxxxxxxxxx

betsy
06-02-10, 14:54
Hi rose, i can say the same too , coped better when it was a big deep dark secret. but we all need help and i am here for you too. keep in touch we can learn to cope together.

Betsy xx