PDA

View Full Version : Summertime Anticipatory anxiety or plain madness

Laurie28
04-03-04, 12:35
Okay,

Now that we are in march and the summer is justy round the corner I'm getting anxious.

WASPS AND BEES I HATE THEM!!!

In the summertime I don't wear hair wax, hairspray or perfume (still wear deodorant for hygiene reasons) as i am PETRIFIED i will get stung!. You see I have never ever been stung and am scared I will get an allergic reaction (not a new anxiety).

In the summer my house is roasting as I never ever open windows in case the blighters come in (oh apart from when I was scared we were all getting carbon monoxide poisoning and jkept the windows open day and night for about a month)

I've had to phone my mother in law to come and get rid of wasps in my house and wake my boyfriend up to get them out as i can't be in the same room as one!! I even run away from my babies pram when he was little because there was a bee near it (i'm soo ashamed!).

When i was getting CBT the therapist told me the best thing would be for me to get stung - yes i agree but I'm not going out of my way to do so!!!!!!!

Anyway does anyone else have this fear (it probably has a name)

Lucky

Lottie32
04-03-04, 13:25
I dislike them intently, but I'm not phobic about them. Having been stung on the boob by that wasp last year though (and it swelled - Jordan to the left - Kate Moss to the right if you get my drift), it's not an experience I want to repeat.

Have you thought about getting some of those gauze window covers for the summer.

That way, you can have the windows open, but the blighters can't get in.

It's about the only reason for not stopping smoking I can think of, as smoking actually seems to keep wasps away when in a pub beer garden.

I agree - don't think going out your way to get stung is something I'd want to do either!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Laurie28
04-03-04, 14:19
Charlie,

I'll certainly investigate the window covers!!

Last year I was driving along in my car and my son shouted mum theres a bee in here. Well I had to do an emergency stop and jump out screaming for my son to do the same ~(talk about learned anxiety!). the thing was I had had no windows open so the poor thing had being in there baking for hours probably. I had to get a man passing to get rid of it!!!

Cigarettes are a great deterent to wasps aren't they!!!

I remember a few years ago walking along with my mum and a wasp was divebombing her hair as she was wearing hairspary and her screaming at me to give me my ciggy!!

lucky

sarah
04-03-04, 14:20
Hey Charlie

Your post brang back some funny memories for me. I think wasps must have a thing for boobs, I was eating an ice cream in the garden and one flew straight for it, missed and went down my bikini top and stung me right where it hurts. I flung my top off and ran round the garden squealing, not concerned in the slightest about my state of undress and im not exactly small up top...lol
And the amount of times ive been seen waving a ciggie round in the air above my head to fend off a bee or wasp...lol

No wonder im a head case???

love Sarah
xx

Lottie32
04-03-04, 14:35
Sarah

Yes - but it's not funny at the time!

I had to get first aid on mine - it was killing.

Then the next day I went on a first aid course and half the examiners and some of the candidates had all seen my b**bs.

There was much "tittering" amongst those in the know - and many enquiries from those on the course who hadn't got a clue what they were laughing at, and what I was going red about!

Eventually, I let it slip, and basically had to suffer two days of p*ss taking!

Good job I have the skin of a rhino!

Love Charlie x

p.s I am never prejudiced. I'm sure that as I know some nice kind hells angels, there must be some good estate agents out there! Other than your hubby of course

Charlie

kate
04-03-04, 16:50
I'm not worried at all by wasps and bees.

But spiders, now thats a different story............

Kate x

nomorepanic
04-03-04, 22:16
You can also get insect repellant things with a slow release - they hate the smell so they won't go in the room. I have one in my bedroom - keeps the insects away.

I got bitten again (cat flea I assume) on Tuesday and I react badly to bites - you may remember the one I had on my face - well this is hurting a lot and all hard and swollen. Nothing will cure it or relieve it so I just suffer feeling grotty and in pain - lol

Nicola

twister
05-03-04, 00:02
I did a handstand on a bee when I was younger....

Emily

sarah
05-03-04, 00:06
oohh ouch!!!!!!

Meg
08-03-04, 17:59
Lavender and tea tree oil Nic.

Or some hydrocortizone 0.5 mg cream

Meg

nomorepanic
08-03-04, 20:54
Meg

I have tried them all and nothing helps. I have loads of lavender and tea tree oil rub-on stick things. The cream stops the itching but it hurts more than itches. It has gone down a lot now so not hurting.

Nicola

stimpy
09-03-04, 10:33
Creepy crawlies I can live with. But the thought of heatstroke now that is scaring me to death. Good old Raid wasp killer - you can't beat it.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Laurie28
09-03-04, 10:46
Liz,

Does it smell like fly spray though - as if there is 1 smell I really can't handle it's fly spray!!!

Lucky

red
09-03-04, 10:49
Hiya
I have been stung a few times - wasps and and one bee. To me, it is always sounds a lot worse than it is, being stung. Not the nicest of experiences but not as bad as our heads would have us believe! Like Nic, I react really badly to any bite or sting and come up in large lumps - but that is just your body doing it's job, isn't it. I find that Hydrocortisone works really well for me - with a couple of paracetamol if it is really painful.

Stimpy raises a good point for me - the heat in the summer makes me feel a lot worse because of the 'attention' it gives to my body and the associated feelings. Anyone any tips on that? How to keep cool - in more ways than one?

Red
x

nomorepanic
09-03-04, 21:21
Red

Keeping cool - well I have a fan on my desk at work, an air-conditioning unit in the bedroom at home and air-con in the car too!

I have been known to go and sit in the car with the air-con on just to cool down!

I am not looking forward to it either

Nicola

Meg
09-03-04, 21:52
I think this is a great opportunity ahead of time to share some tips , change some thought patterns here and try to be well prepared for summer this year so it's not a problem. With climate changes , it may start to be getting steadily warmer so lets try to start to overcome the issues one by one.

Red - there must be an NLP exercise we could start to use.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

red
10-03-04, 11:34
Hi Meg!

I'm working on it as we speak!!

Red
x

Laurie28
10-03-04, 15:46
Red,

Excuse my ignorance but what is NLP#?

Lucky

Meg
10-03-04, 17:25
Lucky,

Can I direct you to the home page please as its a long one- under therapies.

We write all these articles, Nic goes to all the trouble of upgrading the site and noone looks at it ! lol !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

red
10-03-04, 17:32
Hi Lucky - did you read the stuff on the therapies page about NLP as Meg suggested? It is a bit long winded but the top and bottom of it is that NLP has a set of coping strategies for almost anything in life - including - thank the lord - Anxiety states and phobias. They are operated better through a therapist but some can be easily described verbally or in writing. I am looking for something that will work from written instruction - I will let you know when I found something - give me a day or so. thank you for asking!

Cheers

Red
x

nomorepanic
10-03-04, 22:53
Lucky

Take a look at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/therapy.htm.

Red wrote it for the site for me.

Nicola

Laurie28
11-03-04, 10:38
I will look at it when I have the chance!!

Nic - I DO look at your hompage as i have mentioned to u in the past - but natural remedies is not something I have 'delved ' into!!!!

Lucky

Lottie32
11-03-04, 13:27
I like the summer when it's really warm.

Should I be anxious that I don't get anxious when it's hot?

Charlie

Laurie28
11-03-04, 15:06
LOL Charlie!!!

Heat doesn't bother me either just bees & wasps

aggg

lucky

nomorepanic
12-03-04, 22:41
Lucky

The Therapy page is new so let me know what you think.

I know you do look and that is good cos I wrote all the stuff so I like to think that people read it and it helps.

Nicola

Laurie28
15-03-04, 12:59
Nic,

People def. look. it was your webpage that directed me towards this forum after all!!!

i remember when i first found it i printed everything off and took them hoke to my boyfriend and gave him them to read and said 'THAT'S ME' Incredible relief!!!

Love
lucky

Red,

I had a look at NLP I had never even heard of it!! - Really interesting and good luck with the Masters!!

nomorepanic
15-03-04, 17:18
Lucky

That is great news that it helped you so much. I am always adding to things so watch out for the "what's new" notes.

Nicola