PDA

View Full Version : gaba

trish1955
17-10-10, 01:27
as any one heard of a med called gaba

Jaco45er
17-10-10, 08:05
Hi Trish

I think it's banned in the UK & the USA. A lot of muscle builders use it for it's fat breakdown, and anxiety wise it promotes sedation and sleep.

I remember seeing it for sale on an online pharmacy spam e-mail a few years back when it was popular.

I would stay away Trish, I would be very sceptical of any medication not prescribed or endorsed by your GP.

TC

Jaco

ginny
26-10-10, 15:34
Hi everyone. Just to let you all know what GABA is -- GABA is gama amino butyric acid, and is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that is essential for the proper function of your brain and the central nervous system, and has the effect of reducing excessive brain activity and promoting a state of calm.

For many people, the rush of daily life, with its problems, worries and external stimuli, can over-stimulate the brain to the extent that it can all seem too much for them. They feel anxious and overwhelmed, and wish that they could just go into a quiet corner to get away from it all. Most people have felt like that at some time, but the demands of life do not allow them that luxury. They just have to bear it and get on with life.

That is where GABA can come in. It can be used to bring your nervous system back to base, and make you feel more relaxed, calmer and more able to meet these challenges that life often throws at you. When you feel that you just can't relax or concentrate on what you are doing, GABA can help you. If you look around you and everybody else seems OK, without apparently feeling the stress and irritability that you feel, and then perhaps your problem is due to a GABA deficiency. GABA is the principal inhibitory neurotransmitter in your brain.

As your brain becomes excited, it can run out of control and needs some form of modification or inhibition to keep it acting as normal. Without this you would become increasingly more restless and irritable, and ultimately have seizures. GABA is not only the main inhibitor in your brain, but also helps in the production of endorphins that provide you with a sense of well being. That sense of calm you feel when endorphins are produced, for example during exercise is commonly referred to as the 'endorphin effect'.

GABA is at its highest concentration in specific areas of the brain, including the hypothalamus, the hippocampus and the central brain area, and is present in up to 40% of all synapses, the small gaps between neurons across which brain cells can communicate with each other.

The thing to do is to look for a plant supplement that naturally contains GABA such as Filisa. I started a thread about this as I've taken it with great results.

Lotsoflavender
04-12-11, 09:33
Thank you Ginny for your informative post. I've just ordered some capsules from a registered compounding chemist here in Oz that contains
100mg GABA, 50mg 5-hydroxytryptophan, 250mg taurine, 250mg glycine and 100mg licorice.
I'm hoping that this will do as your post explained, calm the brain down!
Don't want to hit the SSRI's again.
Wendy

PanchoGoz
04-12-11, 11:07
I heard L-theanine helps your GABA levels...

shropshire_lad
11-12-11, 19:30
In my experience supplemental GABA is useless, this includes the highly touted PharmaGABA. I have never seen evidence it can cross the blood brain barrier.

Tried it at all sorts of dosages and never noticed anything.....at all. Save your money!

PanchoGoz
11-12-11, 20:07
In my experience supplemental GABA is useless, this includes the highly touted PharmaGABA. I have never seen evidence it can cross the blood brain barrier.

Tried it at all sorts of dosages and never noticed anything.....at all. Save your money!

I expect different things work for different people...