PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness and lifts?

dodo
17-10-10, 08:57
I am really getting down with this. It had gone away for a few days but is back again with avengance in the last few days.

I hadn't been anxious or anything but suddenly I feel really off balance. My ears feel really full, as does my head and I still have bad ringing in my ears.

I had a headache for the first time in ages last night as well.

I am starting to get really worried about it even though the Dr has dismissed it after looking in my eyes and giving me a check over.

Also does anyone else get this? It seems to be related to when I've been in a lift (which I can't avoid as I have a pushchair so can't take the stair or escalator). Ok for a few moments coming out of the lift but then I get this wierd sensation like someone is pushing down on the top of my head and I feel really wierd all over.

pinkpiglet
17-10-10, 11:05
Hi Hun!

I can definitely relate to you on the dizziness and also the lift experience. Read back on my posts and you will see that I suffer endlessly with dizziness/off balance/light headedness. Its horrendous and I also have a small child (almost four)
I am terrible in lifts, sometimes I am fine until i walk out of it but often it occurs whilst the lift is in motion. I get the force pushing down on my skull and it can force my to go to the floor. This can be rather embarrassing.

dodo
17-10-10, 17:30
Thanks for your reply. Had the Dr said there is nothing wrong? My dizziness has just been dismissed!

sugarplums
17-10-10, 18:04
hi there, ive had the same thing too with lifts, i wont even go in one anymore and when i had a buggy i used to pack up the buggy and would struggle to carry it upstairs in one arm and and the other arm to carry my child and the staff would point out to me there was a lift for me to use then i had to keep explaining in different places that i couldnt use it, because i had 2 experiences where i went into a lift years ago and once the lift stopped and we got out , i found myself with the sensation of still going up in the lift when i got out and then i felt really dizzy. So i never went in a lift after that.
Ive had dreadful dizziness and lightheadedness , most days i feel dizzy or lightheaded , the doctors just dont seem to take dizziness seriously, i would like to see a doctor to manage with constant dizziness... I dont think they have any idea how much it affects day to day life. I have a feeling it could be to do with the inner ear causing the sensation of motion. I have it indoors, outdoors
The doctor gave me prochlorperazine (stemital) to help the dizziness when its at its worse, at the start of it i was told i had anxiety disorder but 2 years ago the doctor said i had a bad ear infection and had viral labyrinthitus .
Hope you all feel better soon xxx

dodo
17-10-10, 18:31
I think I may have been given something similar but haven't taken any because it went away, but the last few days seems to have come back with avengance. It lasts about 10 minutes or so and then goes away again for a while. I know what you mean about Drs not taking it seriously. I don't see why. Perhaps it's not a symptom of anything serious?

That is exactly it with the lifts though, it feels like you're still moving. Urgh it is so horrible.

dodo
17-10-10, 18:32
I was going to add whether you felt nauseous at all when you felt dizzy? It seems to upset my whole digestive system.

sugarplums
17-10-10, 19:01
yes ive felt nauseous with the dizziness sometimes, my dizziness has been on and off over the years but its usually there somewhere in the background mostly.
i have sometimes struggled having conversations with people, even when im sitting down it will take all my energy to focus what someone is saying sometimes because i get the sensation of everything is slightly moving.
sometimes ive been doing the dishes or cooking and it feels like im going up or down in a lift, its really horrible.
im really not sure why there doesnt seem to be a cure for dizziness , as apparently it is one of the main symptoms for someone to visit their doctor about.
the stemil helps me when i get the dizziness badly but E.N.T said not to take it regulary or long term as it suppresses the natural ear balance and should only be used for temporary relief of the dizziness.
its intresting about the stemital because when i read the leaflet that came with it, it is used for other things too but mostly for dizziness/ motion sickness and also anxiety. xxx

dodo
17-10-10, 19:23
Yes if it is the same one I have been prescribed, it said it was for migraines and stuff as well.

pinkpiglet
17-10-10, 21:07
I also get nauseaous but I cant say the two come hand in hand! Like each of my anxiety symptoms they are all seperate things!! The diziness is something I have lived with for many years. It is particularly bad at the minute, whenever I sit, i get dizzy. I have tried a few tablets, stemitil been one of them. The others I cannot remember.
I have had blood tests, brain scans, ECG's, to no avail. My GP always puts it down to anxiety. I know they are right! well...no! Thats a lie, I have health anxiety so obviously I dont always fully believe them but deep deep down I know that anything un toward would have shown up on a test so I have to leave the surgery with my tail between my leg (not literally).
Its difficult dealing with dizziness as it feels so real and can be debilitating and frustrating.

One of my main problems as to why I get diziness is my breathing, I am told (and i know it) that i hold my breath. I inhale long and hold my breath then I exhale quickly. I dont breath from my diaphram (as I find it difficult) and breath from my chest. I am tense and hold my body tight and scrunched. I am aware of this but it is so hard for me to adopt better posture and breathing techniques. Its something I should work at harder at. Have you observed your own breathing and posture at all?? I have noticed my little boy (almost 4) as started to hold his breath too. This worries me. e could be adopting my bad habits and i know it will lead to anxiety if I dont sort it out soon x

dodo
17-10-10, 21:40
Yes I do a lot of those things, but that's not when I get dizzy. If I do it'ss a different type of dizziness, more just lightheaded.

This dizziness is like nothing I've experienced before. I do think it's linked to my sinuses/ears. And the lift thing is something else again.

pinkpiglet
18-10-10, 11:44
I also feel dizzy when i start to relax or it an hit me out of the blue. There is no pattern to any of my anxiety symptoms. Only this morning, I was standing in the kitchen with my son, no worries, no stresses (not immediate ones anyway) and WHAM, i was hit with derealization (another of my old faithfuls). Now I feel dreadful.

I definitley agree that your problem could be with your sinus'. Its something I'v never really pushed with my GP but i think that alot of my problems are literally inside my head. Muginess, dull aches, sharp head and nasal pains.

dodo
18-10-10, 12:11
Hust checked medication and it is prochlorperazine. But for some reason I stupidly read the side effects and stopped myself taking it!

sugarplums
18-10-10, 22:45
yeah i read the leaflet about side effects of prochlorperazine and wasnt keen to take it either but my dizziness was so bad that i couldnt stand or walk due to having vertigo, the room spinning, so i was desperate for the dizziness to stop so i took one tablet and it eased the dizziness away, within a few hours i could walk around pretty much okay. i think in the past year ive probably taken 1 tablet every 3 months so has never caused me any side effects. i think the side effects apply if your sensitive to the type of tablet or take it long term , which e.n.t warned me to not take prochlorperazine frequently, only to take it on the odd occasion for motion sickness /dizziness.
i have to carry the tablets in my bag everywhere i go , because if i do get awful dizziness , i know the feeling will go when i take one and somehow its reassuring to know that its just there if i need it.
i would never take this regulary though.
there are alternative remedies for dizziness herbal and homeopathic which has helped me in the past.
also certain types of food can help with dizziness , you can google search 'food that helps dizziness' and it will give you a list of foods that will ease dizziness, inc ginger, celery, basil leaves etc
also vitamin B is essential for anyone under stress or with dizziness, and magnesuim helps as its a natural tranquilizer.
hope you feel better soon xxx