PDA

View Full Version : mirtazapine is my problem!

MadJam
17-10-10, 15:44
Hi all - I bet your all sick of me going on about how bad mirtazapine makes me feel!! The past few days have been hell for me - still living in it. All the symtoms I have at present are all worse than those before starting. Over the past week I have developed - shallow breathing, insomnia, muscle twitching, heart palpitations, nausea, confusion and serious mood swings. I am so worried - this morning I had to have a diazapam (never had one before), and really don't want to go down that road. I'm scared what my doctor will say or do.......I can't go on like this!! What do I do?

Carly Lou
17-10-10, 15:47
hey xxx i have had the same problem with sertraline.... muscle twitching my my hands.. palps, panic attacks, sweating feeling sick... i so know how you feel im of the sert now i was only on it for 3 days.. and im taking half a diaz am and pm to try and calm me down... as the symptoms are still present... i feel worse than what i did before i even started taking any meds.... xxxxx so you arnt alone... its really scary isnt it xxxx
are you still taking mirt ??? xxx

MadJam
17-10-10, 16:13
Hi Carly! Yes i've been taking it for about 8-9 months!!!!! So I can't just stop!! Feels like I'm going through withdrawel which I know is possible - which is why some people have to keep upping the dose. I had a really bad reaction on cit. before the mirt - 1 week of hell!! I feel like i'm going through the same. Are you going to try anything else?x

ems43
17-10-10, 17:11
Hi madjam, did you get these symptoms as soon as you started mitrazapine? I know i had an awful reaction to escitlopram but it came on pretty quickly, within about two weeks. Just wondering if it may be more that this med, or this med at this dose, is not helping you, therefore you are becoming more and more exhausted with having to fight it every day. I guess I;m wondering if it is the mitrazpine that is making you feel so bad or just its not actually helping the anxiety at all? are you going to see your GP this week? Have you tried pregablin before... my pdoc suggested it last time and from reading posts on here I may give it a go as seems pretty good for anxiety x

JT69
17-10-10, 17:27
Hi,

Just wanted to say that prebalin has helped me enormously with my general anxiety...so if your GP will prescribe it (some say it is too expensive) then I would so reccommend trying it. I am also on mirtazipine at the moment but have reduced to 15mg in the hope to come off soon.

Jo.xx

MadJam
17-10-10, 17:27
Hi ems! Thanks for you reply! Yes felt like this when starting it - apart from the insomnia, it used to knock me out - why isn't it now? Yes going to doctors tomorrow and will ask about pregablin. Just need some sleep! How are you now?x

ElizabethJane
17-10-10, 20:35
Hi Carly! Yes i've been taking it for about 8-9 months!!!!! So I can't just stop!! Feels like I'm going through withdrawel which I know is possible - which is why some people have to keep upping the dose. I had a really bad reaction on cit. before the mirt - 1 week of hell!! I feel like i'm going through the same. Are you going to try anything else?x
I'm sorry but I can'y believe that statement to be true. Are you afraid that your GP will just want to up the dose? If you have been on mirtazapine for nine months and are still experiencing side effects then maybe it is time to try soomething else? You GP could augment another anti d in addition to the mirt to see how you are getting on. Are the side effects reallly side effects of the mirt or the depressive illness surfacing itself? These are questions that maybe you and your GP need to look at. Take care. I hope you find some answers soon. With me I increased the mirt because my psychiatrist thought that I might benefit from a higher dose 45mg. I experienced withdrawals when coming off the drug so bad that I had to go back on it. I came off it again and went back on it because my original illness had returned. EJ

MadJam
17-10-10, 21:06
Hi! Thank you so much for you comments.
JT - I will speak to the doc. about pregablin. Does it help with sleep?
EJ - Thank you for your kind words. I have heard that an increase in the mirt can cause more anxiety - was this the case for you?

randomworry
18-10-10, 15:02
if you have problems with meds stop them gradually and never use them again....i really do believe this

ElizabethJane
18-10-10, 17:16
if you have problems with meds stop them gradually and never use them again....i really do believe this
I really don't think this is sensible advice at all. It may be your opinion but I do not think that rejecting all anti ds is very helpful. I have been well for over a year now and that is partly due to a combination of mirtazapine and lithium. Just because one anti d might not be suitable for a particular person another might be really effective and be useful in alleviating symptoms. I have experienced mirtazapine withdrawal and that was unpleasant but experiencing suicidal depression is worse. I also think that when it is time to come off mirtazapine that a phased reduction in dose is best. That is what worked for me although it was done over a relatively short period of time. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with mirtazapine but for some of us it has been a lifesaver. EJ.

ems43
18-10-10, 19:57
how are you today madjam? did you go and see you GP? x

MadJam
19-10-10, 09:00
Hi! Yes went to GP and he wouldn't give me anything as he wants to leave it to my p.doc to sort it out. Phoned p.doc yesterday and managed to get appointment for tomorrow - thank god. Had a nytol last night and managed to sleep quite well. I have also been doing some tapping - I dont know if you have heard of this but it's helping. Look it up on the internet and give it a go. Woke up this morning, got up and felt ill again - body tingling and high anxiety. How are you doing on your increase?

JT69
21-10-10, 09:34
Hi Madjam,

How did you get on with the p.doc?? I take pregabalin 100mg at night and 100mg in the morning along with my 15mg of mirtazipine at night. My Gp told me that pregabalin can make you feel sleepy but it is difficult to judge as I take the mirtazipine also...having said that I feel o.k in the mornings when taken it so perhaps it doesnt help with the sleep.

Anyhow I hope you have had some good advice and feel better.

Jo.xx