PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and Anxiety

heavenly
17-10-10, 17:03
Hi guys, just need to pick your brains.

Its been a couple of months since I started experiencing anxiety episodes. I am seeing a counsellor, which is going well, CBT as well as general talking. My GP has put me on Olanzapine for a while. I am doing yoga at home, gave up smoking, taking vitamins and I am now a caffeine free zone.

I rejoined David Lloyds gym yesterday. Went up there this morning with my partner. I started off walking on the treadmill, and when my heart rate started to rise, it reminded me of having an anxiety episode so I kept the walk very light, it freaked me out a bit! So I then did some light weights, then we had a jacuzzi. Very relaxing but not the fat burner that I first intended!

So just want to ask, how many of you do cardio exercise? I can't get my head around doing something that brisk, I want my heart rate as calm as poss! Is it best to keep my exercise low impact for a while?

Groundhog
17-10-10, 17:32
Hi
I do a cardio workout three times a week and have done for about fifteen years now – long before this anxiety thing raised its ugly head. I know exercise is supposed to be good for you as your brain tells your body to release good chemicals and for sure I always feel really good afterwards.

What I don’t do is over exert. OK I’m turned fifty so I can’t keep up with the young uns anyway but it’s important to keep your exercising within a certain heart rate for your age. The gym I use is just that- a gym, and the trainers are really good at monitoring what you are doing and tailoring your workouts to any medical issues you may have. I’m a little sceptical of gyms that just let you go in and do what you want. The loose rule is to work at a rate that leaves you slightly out of breath. Don’t get led by the ‘jack-the-lads’ who go at an alarming pace just to show off, its not what it’s about, just go at a pace that is comfortable for you. For instance while everyone is going hell for leather on the tread mills I’m just briskly walking.

European
17-10-10, 17:39
I think it is important to build a routine up over time - the golden rule of exercise is to do it moderately, but regularly.
And in this respect it is very dangerous to set the bar too high and build up expectations so high, they become impossible to live up to. Besides, where is the fun in that?

I think it's important to listen to yourself in this respect and find the balance between pushing yourself whilst remaining reasonably comfortable at the same time. There is no point in any exercise if it isn't enjoyable, and no matter what other people are doing, forget them - you can only be your own benchmark in this and would be well advised to listen mainly to yourself and how you are feeling.

I started jogging more than ten years ago at the height of my panic attacks, and I have to say, it was the best thing I could have done.
I've kept it up consistently at least three times a week all these years, and it made a massive difference in view of my anxiety situation. No matter what mood I'm in before running, I know for certain that I will be coming home in a good mood, which feels wonderful!

Also, I used to have a tendency to emotional reasoning, i.e. telling myself: "I am feeling physically tired and low today, therefore I must be physically tired and low and there must be something wrong with me" - and yet if I push myself to go running I am surprising myself by being physically as fit as a fiddle, despite my misgivings, which always amazes me, as it makes it very obvious that my initial negative state of mind was merely that: in my mind. I find this experience very reassuring and empowering!

By the sounds of it you've made all kinds of steps in the right direction, and I'm sure you will find your own routine regarding the exercise as well. Well done you - and have fun! :)

heavenly
17-10-10, 18:25
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

This was the first time, since my anxiety episodes have started, that I have done something slightly cardio. I just freaked out a bit when my heart rate rose whilst on the treadmill. I think I need to start off gently and see how I go from there. Baby steps!