PDA

View Full Version : Phobia of anaphylactic shock

sallyok
18-10-10, 03:55
I hope i spelt it right!

Hi I'm 17 and since i was 13 i've had this horrible phobia of having an anaphylactic shock. I remember it started when I was on holiday and I had had a bit of a traumatic day and had my first panic attack when i lost my family in this strange foreign town. But in the evening my mum and aunt were talking about discussing how a boy my aunt teaches had a cough sweet and died of anaphylactic shock.
i dont remember it making an impression on me at the time but it must have.

Four years later and I get scared about every food I eat, every product I use, every medicine I take.

I had it under control for about two years (or so i thought) as I was just avoiding every non 'safe' food so I wouldnt try anything different and I was kind of happy with that, it meant I didnt panic. But really i was just hiding the problem and in the last year its got miles worse. I just associate food with panic now, i swear I'm equally scared of having a major panic attack as i am of having an anaphylactic shock.

I've developed a complete fear of getting stung so I'm even edgy when I'm out and i cant even go to restaurants anymore and so many things that were on my 'safe' list of foods have been crossed off.

When i was younger I used to have lots of skin allergic reactions like hives and random rashes but i never found out what they were from and that always worries me but I've never had a major food allergy.

I just feel so depressed at the moment it's taking over my life, I can never let my guard down. I told my mum and I'm booked to have some sessions with a counsiller but will they honestly be able to help? And its only 6 sessions because its on the NHS.

Has anyone got anything similar so we can drown our sorrows together? :(

allergyphobia
18-10-10, 15:38
Hi Sally

If you read my posts you will see i have this same phobia.....

have you had any CBT? do you do anything to try and tackle your phobia?

Are you on meds?

There are a few of us on here with the same phobia.....

Do you actually have any allergies?

Take care and chat soon x

jillyb
18-10-10, 20:39
Hi Sally .... I understand just where you are coming from! I am just into some counselling for the same problem (amongst other panicky things!!!!). I too have a safe list! If you need more counselling they will let you have it - my therapist (also NHS) said they start with 6 sessions but you can have more if you need it, so don't worry about that. I have a sneaky feeling that I may have to eat nuts tomorrow (hope the therapist has got the epipen ready!) so I feel somewhat anxious, but I am determined to beat it because, like you, going to a restaurant has become a real worry. And checking food labels is a real pain!

I am the same as you with regards meds and other products - same 'safe' shampoo, tootpaste etc etc.

I am really hopeful that I am going to be able to beat this nonsense then, hopefully, I can tackle the medical phobias too!!!! Phew, it's exhausting!!! Stick with it Sally cos you are still young and you don't want it to rule your life. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Take care x