PDA

View Full Version : First CBT session

blueangel
18-10-10, 16:00
Not sure how useful/interesting this will be for people, and I guess that i just want to verbalise some of what happened earlier, as I think I need to see it written down. Therefore if you're not interested in CBT, pass this by!

This was a very interesting experience, I have to say. I went for an hour and a half initial assessment session at lunchtime today.

I'd had to send in a questionnaire prior to visiting, whereby I had to state what I thought were my major problems at the moment, past traumatic/bad experiences and what other help I've had etc etc.

The session looked at what I felt were the triggers for feeling the way I do at the moment (the way I feel at the moment = terrible, unfortunately), how past experiences have contributed to it, and looked at some of the patterns that can lead us to think the way we do.

I've done bits of this work before, so have come across the concepts of thoughts and feelings influencing behaviours and moods.

However, what did come as a surprise was how much effect my upbringing (which was very odd, whichever way you look at it) and being bullied constantly at school have contributed to where I am now. OK, I'd always known it had an effect, but it's only today that I've found out that a large number of my intrusive thoughts are actually flashbacks, as they're about the past and not about imagined incidents in the future.

It looks as though there has been enough damage done to mean that when I'm exposed to trauma, I automatically develop a response to it which is similar to PTSD. It's not the full-blown version (thank God, or I really would be a basket case), but it seems that my brain has learned to make sure I can't lose traumatic events by causing the classic PTSD reaction of flashbacks. It's almost like a sort of punishment mechanism, which links in very strongly to the fact that I was bought up to feel guilty for everything and that everything had to be my fault.

What an eye-opener; I'm going to have to think about this. I actually had no idea I was so "damaged"; as far as Joe Public is concerned, I function quite well; I have quite a responsible job and have only ever once taken time off sick with stress. It does make sense though. If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how I get on......

Jaco45er
18-10-10, 16:12
Hi Blue

I read about CBT and wanted it, but at the time I needed it, the waiting list was just ridiculous.

I have read that if you are willing to do the homework, CBT is about the most effective treatment for many forms of anxiety.

I think a lot of people will be interested in your progress :)

blueangel
18-10-10, 16:17
I'll keep you posted. I've opted to go for this privately, as the waiting lists are ridiculous, and anyway, if I'm paying for it, it adds to the incentive of doing the homework! :)

Jaco45er
18-10-10, 16:19
Out of interest, and I understand if you don't want to divulge, but how much is each session, and how many sessions do they say you will need on average ?

blueangel
18-10-10, 16:23
Hi again Jaco

No probs - the initial session was £58 and lasted for an hour and a half. The counsellor I'm seeing normally does 50-minute sessions, and charges £38 each for these. I think they might do some price reductions for people in dire financial circumstances.

I'm in the South West, and from what I looked up, this seems to be a fairly reasonable price for this part of the country.

I'm not entirely sure how many sessions I'm going to need in all, but this is going to be reviewed after 6 sessions, as evidently the idea behind CBT is for it to be time-limited.

I think they aim to sort people out in 2-3 months when they can, but obviously people with complex problems might take longer. It does seem interesting though, and was the treatment that sounded the most promising to me. The last time I tried counselling, it was all reflective and I just didn't feel that it helped much.

Jaco45er
18-10-10, 16:31
Thank you Blue

That's not too bad cost-wise, infact if it works, it's a bargain.

I have had EMDR therapy (I don't have PTSD, but there was a place going spare so I thought what the hell, I tried it) and some other strange therapy that concentrated on the 3 states of man. I know, sounds like an album from a 70's prog rock band, but is based on us being in either a child, parent or adult state. It was ok, but not a terrific help to me if I am honest.

I have promised myself, if I am ever bad again for any period of time, I will seek out CBT therapy (private, I can't wait 18 months, I go into one waiting for stuff to arrive from ebay), so I will be interest in your progress.

Good luck :)

Jaco

elainey70
18-10-10, 18:43
Hi found your post very interesting i am going for my fist CBT session on Wednesday and was not sure if this was the right thing to be doing or not, i suffer from General anxiety and am currrently taking seroxat. I managed to go out on my own today for the fist time which is a major achievment, so it has me thinking do i need the CBT or am i on the road to recovery. I am also going private and it's £50.00 a session.

jada
18-10-10, 19:43
I am on a waiting list to have CBT but in the meantime, my CPN has given me an information sheet which lists useful websites. He suggested that I begin by looking at a free online CBT course that is available on livinglifetothefull.com. This has been recommended by Birmingham Primary Mental Care Health.

jada
18-10-10, 22:13
Silly me! :)

I just noticed the NPM has a direct link in a 'Sticky' at the top of the sub forum 'CBT' thread....

www.livinglifetothefull.com (http://www.livinglifetothefull.com)

blueangel
18-10-10, 23:57
Hi Jada

I've also heard of this website - interestingly, if you're in the Birmingham area (where I used to live) there seem to be a number of GPs in this area that recommend it.

I will keep everybody posted though, as it might be helpful to someone else.

Having processed everything for a few hours, I'm actually finding it quite a relief that my reactions to stress/anxiety/trauma aren't just about my own inadequacy and have a "real" cause instead.

blueangel
19-10-10, 00:00
Thank you Blue

That's not too bad cost-wise, infact if it works, it's a bargain.

I have had EMDR therapy (I don't have PTSD, but there was a place going spare so I thought what the hell, I tried it) and some other strange therapy that concentrated on the 3 states of man. I know, sounds like an album from a 70's prog rock band, but is based on us being in either a child, parent or adult state. It was ok, but not a terrific help to me if I am honest.

I have promised myself, if I am ever bad again for any period of time, I will seek out CBT therapy (private, I can't wait 18 months, I go into one waiting for stuff to arrive from ebay), so I will be interest in your progress.

Good luck :)

Jaco

Hi Jaco

I also tried a bit of this EMDR stuff a few years ago - you saying that it was based on child, parent and adult triggered the memory. I never went into it in any great detail, but I seem to remember being told that various states have to give the other ones permission to do things (I think...!)

I agree with your assessment of it; it was interesting at the time, but I can't say it actually helped that much. This was linked with some fairly reflective counselling, which I stopped go to in the end as I seemed to go round and round without getting anywhere. I've very goal-focussed so I found this frustrating after a couple of months.

heavenly
20-10-10, 10:44
Since my anxiety attacks started a couple of months ago, I have been seeing a counsellor. She is private and its £30 an hour. She is doing CBT with me and also general talking counselling, I find it a great help already, the sessions are really tough emotionally but I know its all for the best, delving into why these episodes are happening to me.

Baggie
20-10-10, 11:42
Hi Blueangel :)

I just wanted to wish you best of luck with the CBT and I really hope that it helps you to feel much better about your life. Please do keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Jada - I'm currently working my way through the livinglifetothefull course online. One of the modules that I've started, called Noticing Unhelpful Thinking, is really good. It can be tough having to be completely honest with yourself when doing some of the tasks, but I think that it is beneficial overall. The handy thing about doing a course like this online is that you can set yourself a short time each day to log on and work your way through it at your own convenience.