PDA

View Full Version : Who on here has seriously worried about MND (Motor Neurone Disease)

Eggy
18-10-10, 17:58
Just wondered who on here has really seriously worried about MND for a very long period? How did it affect you and how did you get over it?

I am almost convinced i have a form of MND and with it being an untreatable and 100% fatal disease that can kill you very quickly it terrifies the hell out of me.

itoldyouiwasill
18-10-10, 18:33
When my health anxiety first started it was centered on MS. During my many hours of 'research' (fear induced Googling!) I came across MND/ALS and never looked back to boring old MS.

Funnily enough, it is quite easy to 'cure' people of the MS worry as you just displace that worry with MND which is a far nastier and less forgiving disease...not the best way to cure a worry I grant you but what it does do it highlight just how irrational our worries are and how once a better worse case scenario presents itself then our old fears are just no longer fit for purpose!

The main basis of my MND worry was good old twitching and I think this is the case for most HA sufferers who become convinced they have MND. My worry lasted for about 3 months and was pretty severe at its peak. I recall I would carry a tape measure with me everywhere and that I would measure my muscles about 3 or 4 times a day and become convinced I had atrophy.

The thing that really defeats the MND worry is time. Once you understand and accept that MND has nothing to do with perceived atrophy or muscle twithing and that it is a disease defined by clinical and objective weakness then as time passes then MND is really easily discounted...MND is a pretty fast progressing disease and does not have any form of remission.

Out of all my HA centered worries I think MND was the most debilitating but was also the most short lived. The bottom line is that I'm pretty sure that if anybody did have MND/ALS then they would know about it and would not really be in any doubt that something was amiss.

Ooh, one other thing. During the early days of my MND worry my Googling led me to the concept of BFS and the BFS Forum...whilst when I originally found this forum I was quite reassured it did not take long for the panic and worry on that forum to spread to me and make matters much worse...dunno if others on here frequent that forum but is just my take on it.

MidnightCalm
18-10-10, 18:38
I twitch in loads of places, all day! This common?