PDA

View Full Version : Night time/bed time

sarah_85
18-10-10, 20:35
Im sure Im not alone here in saying this but I find the evenings, especially bed time the worst. When i lay in bed, I can hear every single heartbeat I have, and rather than reassuring me this makes me panic even more. I also seem to doze off and wake with a start and a thudding heart several times. Last night I didn't actually settle until 5.30am. Has anyone found any coping mechanisms with this? Just is getting to the point where I dread going to be, even though Im really tired. I also lie awake worrying I'm gonna stop breathign and can't help but monitor my breathing which makes me breath shorter and more shallow breathes.

sammi
18-10-10, 20:39
Night times are the worst for me too. X

cheesy pete
18-10-10, 20:43
It's really easy to get into ruts when going to bed - i know i've done it and still do. I often find the radio very relaxing - on low of course!

Lauren_T
18-10-10, 21:42
I really hate bed time too, I don't usually get to sleep until maybe half 4 - 5 in the morning and I have to be up at 7 for college.

jada
18-10-10, 21:57
I've been using a relaxation track that I downloaded from amazon onto my ipod.
It's called 'progressive muscle relaxation' by Dana Conley.
Having headphones on detracts from listening to my heartbeat. The track is quite soothing and definitely helps me to calm down and relax...i've even been known to doze off before the end of the 17minute track cuz I am so chilled (and out of sheer boredom occasionally :)) Other times, I have to admit, that I am far too wound up to even put my headphones on but then regret that I have missed the opportunity of a restful night.
I keep my ipod under my pillow so that I can listen again when I wake fretfully during the night

Ambers
18-10-10, 22:09
I didn't sleep for three years (26-29). It wore me down and I were like a walking zombie. Like you everytime my body relaxed, I would jolt myself fully awake.. I believe the source of my recovery at that time was based on acceptance that I actually wasn't going to die (my fear at the time). Today although I have PA & anxiety I am so exhausted by the end of the day that I drop off quickly.

Do you know the source of your fear?

sarah_85
18-10-10, 23:18
am currently seeing a therapist and trying to find out really. one of my biggest night time fears is that i wont wake up, ill stop breathing in my sleep or something. which i know is irrational. most nights i am fine, have had a really panic free few weeks, but just going thru a bad patch atm i think. saw my therapist today who says it's important to allow myself to have "wobbles" and bad days. just im so tired, as i hardly slept last night. desparate for some sleep but worried at the same time. argh.

paula lynne
18-10-10, 23:24
Hi I get it too, and when it goes on for days its so exhausting isnt it....I read on here somewhere that eventually the body will go with it, and you will sleep eventually. I use music on low, and if it wakes me up I say to myself "oh sod you bumps...im tired, I'll deal with you tomorrow"....and me "not caring" has made a big difference this past month. I hope you feel much better soon. Love Paula x:hugs: