PDA

View Full Version : panic is stopping me eatig

donnymac
18-10-10, 21:08
hello ive only recently found this site and have just been told im on an eighteen week waiting list for counselling need advice on how to cope 62 year old male and i dont know whats happenig to me

cornwall dan
18-10-10, 22:14
Hi,

Is the waiting list through your GP?:)

Dahlia
18-10-10, 22:31
Hi Donnymac

Can you tell us more about your anxiety / panic symptoms, and what triggers them? There's lots of good stuff on this site - have a read of the articles on the left hand side. And tell us some more about your situation - I'm sure there will be many people who can identify with you.

Dahlia :)

Jaco45er
18-10-10, 22:40
Hi Don

Don I am assuming your anxiety/panic has only recenty just started. When your anxiety is high (for whatever reason) your appetite will go, as your system is pre-occupied with dealing with the anxiety.

When we are anxious or in a state of panic, our bodies go into fight or flight, and this means our brain tells our body to get ready for action, ready to run. And to run, we want to be as light as we can, which includes emptying our stomachs (from either end). So this is why the last thing we want to do is eat, as our mind is telling us to "get light".

What has the doc said about your anxiety? Is it related to a recent event?

There is a lot of self help literature, but if you really are struggling my friend, go back and talk to your GP. They may prescribe medication until your appointment arrives.

And keep posting, many people here will be willingto help with great advice.

Regards,

Jaco

donnymac
19-10-10, 19:44
thanks jaco its been going on for about 5 weeks now in that time i havent had a proper meal attacks are coming all day long and waking me same time time 6am every morning also can anyone explain to me how to post a new thread ive tried everything but cannot find the link desperate don lol:D

donnymac
19-10-10, 19:45
Hi,

Is the waiting list through your GP?:)no thru local authority coubnselling service

paula lynne
19-10-10, 19:48
Hi doonymac...try build up shakes from your chemist while your appetite isnt grat. They are full of essential vits and mins as well as high calorific.

to post a new thread...go to forum, top left of page.
Find the topic you want, panic, ocd, meds or whatever, click on that. at the top left it will say "new thread" click on that and your away............x:)

donnymac
20-10-10, 21:01
Hi Donnymac

Can you tell us more about your anxiety / panic symptoms, and what triggers them? There's lots of good stuff on this site - have a read of the articles on the left hand side. And tell us some more about your situation - I'm sure there will be many people who can identify with you.

Dahlia :)hi dalia what triggers the attacks is when im preparing a meal the thought of eating it builds up and i cant get it out of my head so when its ready i cant face it same at bedtime knowing im going to wake with it

shinderuko
21-10-10, 18:52
I hate the fact that my anxiety affects my appetite. I think it's the feeling of being full that scares me :wacko: I don't know why!!
Eating in public also terrifies me, but we must eat to live! I feel so weak after not eating all day which makes me panic more! But I just can't seem to make myself eat.
Why oh why can't I be scared of something like smoking, something I don't do anyway.
Good luck Donnymac, it won't last forever :hugs: