PDA

View Full Version : Personal experience with Propanolol

madhatter
19-10-10, 09:20
Just posting this to see if others see the same things. I was prescribed 80mg SR tablets last week and have been taking them for 5 days now

First thing I noticed, they really do make a difference to the physical symptoms of panic/anxiety. I felt much more calm and relaxed, and things that would usually set me off washed over me

So, they do what they're supposed do, and the feeling of relief is pretty good

Downsides I found, if you take them any time other than the morning, forget sleeping that night. They just stop you dropping off, and I found myself popping a sleeping pill to be sure I was going to sleep. Also, because they slow down adrenaline and heartrate, forget anything you may wish to do in bed with your significant other, just doesnt happen.

I've tried fluoxetine and beta blockers for my anxiety, personal opinion is that I dont like the side effects of medication so I'm going to do this on my own and deal with it as best I can. Medication for me holds a few too many side effects that I dont want to have to deal with

Electric_Worry
20-10-10, 15:42
I've been taking the same slow-release dose for around seven weeks now. At the beginning I suffered from terrible nausea and there were many occasions within the first few days where I thought I would pass out. I didn't, and once they were in my system and I had been taking them regularly, most of the symptoms subsided and I felt relatively normal.

One of the things I don't like about them is not being able to feel my heart beat. It's gotten to the point where I have become overly conscious of my heart, and so any strange twinge or pain is making me question its health. So much so that I have been to the doctors and got myself booked in for an ECG.

Another thing I've noticed is that it seems to take me longer to get my breath, especially with things like climbing the stairs. I tended to race up them before, but even when I take it slowly, it takes a while to get my breathing back to normal.

With regards to not sleeping, I've found that they've had the opposite effect on me. I take my tablet in the afternoon between 2 and 4, yet I've not had a single night where I haven't been able to sleep. In fact, I used to read a lot in bed but now I can only manage about 15 pages or so before I struggle to keep my eyes open. I've lost count of the times I've had a couple of pages left to end the chapter and spent 20 minutes trying to get through them.

I'm actually thinking about coming off them soon, mainly as a test to see how well I've coped with my anxiety. The doctor said that as I don't have high blood pressure and my heart seems fine, I can just stop them, however I've heard that you should come off them gradually. I'm not second guessing the doctor as such, but I'd like other people's experiences on stopping them. But that's for another thread.