PDA

View Full Version : Advice from therapist!

Hayley1982
19-10-10, 18:17
I've just started seeing a private therapist in which I'm finding very helpful. There's alot I want to achieve and alot of my goals are big things. When I can't do something I get frustrated and will beat myself up calling myself useless. My therapist told me I need to be kinder to myself and do little things to work towards the big things. It seems like such a long journey and so frustrating but I've decided I will do a little thing eachday, today I went for a walk on my own, wish I could do more tho but one thing eachday and hopefully than I can work towards my big goals. I did feel better after going for a walk am glad I got out because sometimes just sitting around makes me think more and causes me more anxiety so one step eachday. I'm going to beat this :-)

paula lynne
19-10-10, 19:04
Hayley well done x
Thats a wonderful positive post! x
Your doing it, keep it up!
Luv P x:D

RosieXXX
19-10-10, 21:12
Well done Hayley :) - you will get there in the end - I know you will. Walking is a great therapy, and I am sure if you manage to get out each day that will go a long way towards making you feeling better.:hugs:

ljd
19-10-10, 22:14
Hi,
well done for getting the courage to see someone wish i ahd that courage. Gkad you went for a walk and yeh small steps lead to good things and build up your self confidence/ self esteem and if your determined you can get to where you want to go, tc and keep up the positive work.

Nigel
20-10-10, 02:41
Hi Hayley,

That was a really positive post and it made me smile :)
Well done! :yesyes:

Your therapist sounds like a very wise person, and it would be good to trust him/her. Would you call your best friend ‘useless’ if they couldn’t do something well enough? It’s time to start being your own best friend Hayley, not your own worst enemy.

And small steps is exactly right. A lot of people have big dreams, then they think of achieving them in one huge step and it seems too daunting and they give up. The trick is to divide that big goal into little sub goals and just work on the first one first. Sometimes it helps to break that sub goal into even smaller steps.

Well done for going out for a walk. What have you got planned for tomorrow? Perhaps you could tell us about it here on this thread each day :)

Take care,
Nigel

ditzygirl
20-10-10, 10:30
Hayley - well done, that's a real achievement.

As Nigel suggest why don't you share with us and I will join you. I am doing ok and really trying to improve mydiet and go out walking etc but I still have days tha are a struggle so maybe we could support each other and anyone else who wants to join us can???

I have been good today so far been and had a 15 minute walk, its freezing out and I can see snow on the hills and mountains - luckily it didnt get to our level - don't think I;m ready for snow again just yet after last winter.