PDA

View Full Version : exercise has worked wonders for me

sarah_85
19-10-10, 22:38
I hope this post will be an encouragement to people! Since i began having panic attacks and anxiety around 3 months ago, i have started doing Yoga at my gym and have also started doing some other classes, including Zumba which is great fun and body combat. These have made such a difference to my life, and as it says in the advice on the left hand side of this website, I just wanted to re-itterate how beneficial exercise can be. It release so much stress and tension, produces endorphins which make you relaxed and happy and it also helps you sleep well, you get off to sleep quickly and you sleep more soundly and deeply.
i never really did exercise before, i am quite a lazy person, but i have made this change and have had lots of support from friends and we do classes together, which also makes it less daunting than going alone.
i cannot recommend exercise enough for combatting the beast that is panic and anxiety. every so often i am still suffering, but this tends to be days when i havent really done much or left the house. hopes this helps someone. xxx

sarah_85
19-10-10, 22:50
i have to say it wasn't east at first, especially when i didnt want to leave the house. i was also worried about exercise because i suffer with palpitations, so the idea of increasing my heart rate on purpose was really scary. however, i can reassure anyone who has this fear that this is fine, and that exercising didnt make my palpitations worse and if anything it has given me more confidence in my heart and it's ability to work properly and it's strength. now if i have a panic attack or if i worry my heart will stop i can remind myself that if it were going to stop, it would have done some because it was struggling when i was pushing it by exercising. xx

ljd
19-10-10, 22:52
Hi that is such an encouraging post. I need to force myself to do some excercise i dont do much and need to start i used to but am so tired or so i use as an excuse i need to force myself and take a leaf out of your book. good for you tc

olderfella
20-10-10, 08:20
Well done Sarah glad your enjoying the exercise,i go to the gym 6days aweek it realy is a great help:D

Ambers
20-10-10, 09:08
Well done, it is great to get phyical - I have been looking for Zumba classes in my area but cant find any - so I am jealous lol

Vixxy
20-10-10, 10:09
Great idea. I would love to go to a class, but I worry i'm too unfit to go! I lost a lot of weight and all of my strength through not eating and I'm as weak as a kitten now! So I have some questions to ask.
When you joined a class did you feel supported by the staff and other people there?
Were people ok for you to sit out if you got tired?

ditzygirl
20-10-10, 10:16
Thanks Sarah, I am walk every now which is my first step in getting fit, the aim is to complete a 5k fun run in time.

I agree the exercise is very helpful although it is hard some days.

Thank you for sharing your success - it is reassuring to hear peoples positive coping methodsx

Hardamcnor
20-10-10, 10:30
Some good words of advice here - whenever i do exercise it's true that i feel much better - but i always seem to find an excuse not to do it, then i just feel bad about myself

Dani

Groundhog
20-10-10, 10:33
I think I said this on another thread but yes exercise is a fantastic way to get some positive vibes going. I have done a cardio workout for years long before this anxiety thing came on and it really does work. I think the most important thing is to go to a gym with trainers on hand to help you. Anyone out there thinking about going to a gym should check with their docs surgery as often you can get referred on the NHS the gym is then advised of your broad health issues and you should get a personal trainer to start you off who has knowledge of how much to work you depending on your disposition.

Also don’t be afraid that gyms are full of macho types showing off, yes there are always some and gradually you start to realise just how silly this type of gym user is. I tend to go in the mornings because it fits around my casual job and the gym is usually relatively quiet and the majority of users are on doctor’s referral. I have just been and some usual faces were there, a guy who has had a stroke and has lost the use of half his body but which is returning because of gym work, a blind chap dog and all, two very large ladies who are always there together and seem to spend their whole workout laughing which is such a tonic. The gym I use has telly screens on all the equipment and one can plug in headphones and watch tele or listen to music while you work. And then a cappuccino in the cafe afterwards – it don’t get any better.

Pluck up the courage and go it might seem daunting but it really is fun:D

jothenurse
21-10-10, 01:10
I would love to get in shape again. Before my anxiety got bad (with bad episodes of tachycardia which I ended up in the ER a few times with - turned out to be sinus tachycardia from panic), I was in great shape, hiked, ran, worked out at the fitness center. I am just starting to do a few things, but as soon as my pulse starts going up I still get panicky, if I get panicky, then it goes into high gear. The doctor says my heart is fine, but I have a hard time getting over the fear of it going so fast. Any ideas?