PDA

View Full Version : Am I being overly paranoid???

KJE2282
20-10-10, 08:47
OK, so I have had a swollen gland behind my ear for 7 weeks now, it has reduced to the smallest swelling, BUT I can still feel it. The doctor said he could feel it.

I asked him to check all around my neck, again he said he couldn't feel anything, and anything that may be there is so minimal not to worry about, and on that basis, he was not going to put me in for any blood tests. But because of that, I am worried that something may be missed. I can still feel the small swelling behind my ear, but yes, it is very small now compared to what it was. But I can feel some in my neck....but only if I hold my neck at a certain angle. Now my question is, shall I take the doctors word, or should I insist on a blood test. As I don't know whether this is me constantly prodding and poking my neck that is making my neck sore or whether I should actually get further checks done.

I am so scared, any tiny twinge I have makes me think I have Cancer of one form or another!! Please can anyone give me any words of advice??

I would like to mention that the swollen lymph nodes, have not got any bigger, if anything have reduced in size, so therefore, it cant be anything sinister can it???

blueangel
20-10-10, 09:08
I would wait for another few weeks and see if it disappears entirely. If maybe it's still there in another 4 weeks, then go back to the doctor and ask whether it would be an idea for you to have a blood test. Believe me, if you had cancer it would be getting worse, and not staying the same.

And try not to prod it!!!! :)

crazyhayz
20-10-10, 11:42
I have 4 in my neck and 4 in my groin and one behind my ear, all enlarged. Only one is painful which wories me as cancer is painless. i havent been ill either so i rly dont think its an infection. Im worried bout lymphoma cancer but ive had two sets of bloods, and both sets were completely normal. I even had one called LDH blood test which is used specifically for cancers, especially lymphoma. All normal. But th doctor stupidly said its not always accurate but it is mostly effective. Stupid man. lol. I am not showing any other signs of lymphoma cancer, or any other cancer for that matter, i.e) night sweats, weightloss, severe fatigue, and the lumps arent getting bigger either, they have stayed the same the last 3 weeks since they appeared, BUT more are coming up in my right armpit and another one in neck...so i rly want to know wot the hells going on.I dont feel unwell and ive most certainly not had any kind of infection anywhere for a long time. But they dont rly know wot to do coz my bloods are normal! Grrr... I wanted a biopsy but they didnt think it was right to cut me open just to find out it wasnt cancer after all. Great one. So im just waiting around now for the next 4 - 6 weeks to see if they get bigger (to which they said to come back).

Theone behind my ear hurts alot and is rock hard and unmoveable, which worries me so much. But i spose ive gotta keep in mind that my bloods have all been normal and surely if there was cancer anywhere my bloods would show this????????

KJE2282
20-10-10, 12:29
Thanks blueangel, I keep telling myself that if it was anything sinister it would be getting worse, especially over the period of time that it came up! But it is easier said than done to forget about it.

crazyhayz, I think that if all your bloods are normal, and no other symptoms, I would really try to not worry about it....I wish the Dr would let me have bloods done but they wont. Maybe I am just having an overly anxious day which is making me over analyse everything!

joannap
20-10-10, 13:10
not really sure why you are worried when it is obviously getting smaller? and so is definitely improving. it probably came up when your body was fighting off a virus. swollen glands can take AGES to reduce totally. i had several come up in my groin/armpit as a teenager - i am not 35 and they can still swell so i really think you have nothing to worry about at all x

KJE2282
20-10-10, 16:18
How Long can it take?? I'm driving myself mad???