PDA

View Full Version : GAD Books

welshwizard79
20-10-10, 13:24
Anybody know of any useful GAD books Ive just seen a book titled Overcoming Generalized Anxiety Disorder on Amazon here is the link if anyone has heard of it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Generalized-Disorder-Therapist-Practices/dp/1572241446/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287576914&sr=1-5

If you have let me know if its any good or any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers

ems43
20-10-10, 13:54
Yes I can recommend quite a few actually!!

The worry cure by dr robert leahy is brilliant
overcoming worry by ? is also very good and looks at the the things that maintain our worry rather than each worry topic.

Calming your anxious mind: how mindfulness and compassion can free you from anxiety, fear and panic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calming-Your-Anxious-Mind-Mindfulness/dp/1572244879

x

European
20-10-10, 20:21
I've been reading quite a few self-help books over the years, but 'When Panic Attacks' by Dr. David Burns is by far the best one I've come across.

It is CBT based and requires some personal participation with all kinds of techniques and exercises, which is paramount in terms of actively getting better. There is something for everybody, and the book is merely a tool to help yourself helping yourself.

It is also very informative regarding the causes and mechanisms of anxiety and panic attacks, and I personally found that learning to understand myself in this respect was a great help. I can honestly say this book turned my entire life around for the better!

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Panic-Attacks-drug-free-therapy/dp/0091929601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287601834&sr=1-1

Dahlia
20-10-10, 20:38
I've been reading quite a few self-help books over the years, but 'When Panic Attacks' by Dr. David Burns is by far the best one I've come across.

It is CBT based and requires some personal participation with all kinds of techniques and exercises, which is paramount in terms of actively getting better. There is something for everybody, and the book is merely a tool to help yourself helping yourself.

It is also very informative regarding the causes and mechanisms of anxiety and panic attacks, and I personally found that learning to understand myself in this respect was a great help. I can honestly say this book turned my entire life around for the better!

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Panic-Attacks-drug-free-therapy/dp/0091929601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287601834&sr=1-1

I'm just reading that one, European! I think David Burns is good. He has another book called The Feeling Good Handbook - that covers all sorts of anxiety problems, as well as panic.

European
20-10-10, 21:12
I'm just reading that one, European! I think David Burns is good. He has another book called The Feeling Good Handbook - that covers all sorts of anxiety problems, as well as panic.

David Burns is my hero! ('Feeling Good' as well is a really good starting point (followed by the 'Feeling Good Handbook' and 'When Panic Attacks'), even though it predominantly deals with depression - but there are a lot of similarities in view of the attitudes and distortions that lead to depression and anxiety/panic attacks!).

It is down to those books, and a lot of input on my part using the techniques and the exercises consistently, that really made a massive difference to me. I can honestly say it changed my life!

After having tried everything from medication to one-to-one therapy to group therapy over the course of over a decade, CBT, and the books by Dr. Burns, didn't just allow me to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but helped and inspired me to get myself out of the tunnel completely. And even if I should get one leg back into the tunnel every now and again, I know what to do, and know how to deal with myself these days.

I am immensely grateful for this!!

expecto patronum
20-10-10, 21:19
Hi, I would recommend Claire Weekes. Also a book called 'The Acceptance and Commitment Workbook for Anxiety' which I bought on recommendation of someone on here (thanks to IdStain :yesyes:). It's a mindfullness-based book aimed at people struggling with all types of anxiety and tries to teach you that you can move forward with your life even while you have anxiety. it aims to help you re-negiotiate you relationship with your anxiety, and to show you that the (understandable) misconception that you have to win the war with your anxiety before you can start living your life, is part of what is keeping you stuck. It's not an easy book to work through, as it makes you face up to some pretty tough stuff, so you need to pace yourself with it, and I'd probably recommend reading Claire Weekes' first as she has a gentler approach.

Dahlia
20-10-10, 22:01
Hi, I would recommend Claire Weekes. Also a book called 'The Acceptance and Commitment Workbook for Anxiety' which I bought on recommendation of someone on here (thanks to IdStain :yesyes:). It's a mindfullness-based book aimed at people struggling with all types of anxiety and tries to teach you that you can move forward with your life even while you have anxiety. it aims to help you re-negiotiate you relationship with your anxiety, and to show you that the (understandable) misconception that you have to win the war with your anxiety before you can start living your life, is part of what is keeping you stuck. It's not an easy book to work through, as it makes you face up to some pretty tough stuff, so you need to pace yourself with it, and I'd probably recommend reading Claire Weekes' first as she has a gentler approach.

Hehe I just bought this one too. And a self esteem cbt book.

Dahlia
20-10-10, 22:09
David Burns is my hero! ('Feeling Good' as well is a really good starting point (followed by the 'Feeling Good Handbook' and 'When Panic Attacks'), even though it predominantly deals with depression - but there are a lot of similarities in view of the attitudes and distortions that lead to depression and anxiety/panic attacks!).

It is down to those books, and a lot of input on my part using the techniques and the exercises consistently, that really made a massive difference to me. I can honestly say it changed my life!

After having tried everything from medication to one-to-one therapy to group therapy over the course of over a decade, CBT, and the books by Dr. Burns, didn't just allow me to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but helped and inspired me to get myself out of the tunnel completely. And even if I should get one leg back into the tunnel every now and again, I know what to do, and know how to deal with myself these days. I am immensely grateful for this!!

That's great, European! (Sorry to hijack the thread). I've always struggled a bit with CBT in the past because I can't deal with uncertainty. I want things in black and white. So, for example, after I went for a drive with my old therapist (something I find hard to do), she said - there you are, it's proved you can do it, and you didn't panic. I said - it's proved nothing, just cos I didn't have one (panic attack/throw up) today, doesn't mean it won't happen next time or the 10th time. Same with 'what if' thinking - I say, 'well just cos I'm not thinking about it doesn't mean it's not going to happen'!. In the end she just said - either stay at home and have a crap life, or go out there and take a chance. And that my beliefs are too deeply entrenched for CBT, and to try schema therapy.

I have a new CBT /Schema therapist now (poor lady). I have promised to give the 'thought distortions' thing a really good go. She appreciates she has a challenge on her hands. I've got to put the work into it. The thing is, I find it difficult to motivate myself to do the exercises, write down things at the end of the day, which is stupid - as my mum says 'if I had your life I'd be doing everything under the sun to try to sort it out'! Partly I guess cos I don't have much hope and a low level of depression; but also lack of discipline!