PDA

View Full Version : Just started propanalol

Kazz512
20-10-10, 15:37
Hi, I was put on propanalol yesterday for heart palpitations and anxeity. However, I feel worse today than I did yesterday. The heart rate has calmed down but I still feel agitated and anxious and keep having the dizzy/lightheaded spells. Does Prop kick in straight away or will it take a few weeks to get into the system? Can anyone help please?

Hazel B
20-10-10, 17:08
Hi, I had 40mg x 3 times a day of Propranolol and it broke the anxiety/adrenalin cycle for me. It worked within 40 minutes to calm my racing heart. I also see a counsellor to help with other things, so the meds and that have helped over a 6 week period.
The other things I did to fight anxiety were: stop caffeine, stop smoking, eat fresh food, cut out ready meals, take-aways and junk, eat more veg and fruit and walk outside every day and challenge negative thoughts and health anxiety worries. All boring stuff but they did help.
Best wishes.

Kazz512
20-10-10, 17:13
Thank you Hazel, do you take yours in the morning or at night? Been reading different posts and not sure (doesnt say on the label!). I am on 80mg, one per day and feel really lethargic!
Regards

Hazel B
20-10-10, 17:21
I took one at 10am, 3pm and bedtime. Your tablets may be slow release ones? I think they can be taken first thing in the morning, you can always call the chemist and ask them, the phone number should be on the printed label on the box/tub.
I did feel a bit "out of it" and tired on them, but I was also very insomniac with anxiety so it may have been a combination. They did stop the bouncy heart though which helped me to be rational and start to fight back and help myself.
I only have 1 x 40mg first thing now as I'm worst when I wake up. Anxiety is scary but you can overcome it, reading posts on here really helped me to understand what was going on.

matted
27-10-10, 14:01
hi, I have just started on propranolol - 3rd day on it.

I have been prescribed 3 x 40mgs per day for migraine prevention but also anxiety

found the 3 tablets were a bit much already - sick feeling in they throat - so have stepped onto 2 x 40mg as day (9am and around 2pm)

my heart is not racing with anxiety anymore - which is good as I was feeling pretty rotten sick as a result.

however i do feel light headed and just been out to try some running like a normally do every day and had to stop as I was not far off fainting - reduced oxygen in the blood as my heart rate is lower

i have read it takes a while to adjust, I liken it to being abroad in a high altitude place e.g. macchu picchu, you will be short of breath but do acclimatise - I hope that is the case after a week

Berti
13-11-10, 16:16
I too have just started using propranalol to help me with the symptoms of anxiety. I suffer from Generalised anxiety disorder and it effects me everyday, mostly in the morning can anyone suggest anything that can help me?:weep:

Hazel B
13-11-10, 18:47
Berti, all I can say to help is what I did for myself:

Admit to myself I had anxiety, not going mad or dying of cancer
Asked my GP for advice
Took the Propranolol & Diazepam ( Diaz for 1 week)
Book counselling to address underlying issues
Cut out caffeine and nicotine
Eat a healthy diet, fresh veg and all that
Walk outside every day for 20 mins
Tell myself constantly that it will pass and I will get better
Visualise positive outcomesfor the future
I'm about 80% OK now, best wishes to you.

milkcarton
15-11-10, 11:55
I have also started to take Propanolol 2x 40mg a day last week. I have noticed that my physical panic attacks have lessoned but I do still feelk light headed and worried. I also have experienced weird tingling in my head/cheekbones that lasts up to 20 seconds although I think it could be to do with the medication! Anyone else experience this symtpon?

Hazel B, that's a great bit of advice!! I sometimes think like that but sometimes the panic just takes over :( but we're all still here!

Hazel B
15-11-10, 18:46
Thanks, I had to grit my teeth to give up caffeine and stop smoking but it's been worth it! Didn't want to have to rely on drugs but the Prop calmed my body and then I could use a bit of willpower to help.

Keep fighting. :)