PDA

View Full Version : Found a good Website for Health Anxiety

Primula
21-10-10, 10:46
I've come to realise lately, that the main problem with my HA, is that I cannot stand the uncertainty of not knowing whether I have cancer or not, so I work myself up into a right state, trying to convince myself that I haven't. This involves googling my symptoms and generally trying to find reassurance. It sometimes works for a little while, but then all the fears come back, as we all know.

Lately instead of trying to get reassurance, I've been flooding myself with uncertainty, by saying to myself, "it's always possible that this is cancer", everytime I have the thought. It's also suggested that you say it to yourself over and over again slowly for about 20mins, and do this every day. At first your anxiety does go up, but then it's starts to wane, and eventully sometimes over a couple of days maybe longer, you do start to get bored with the thought, and your fears subside.

You can do this with any kind of unwelcome thought, so instead of trying to stop the thought, just let it come, and eventually my fears have subsided, I'm not cured, but have had long periods without HA using this idea, and if you can get some relief from it it's worth giving it a go.

I've put some links below that some people might find helpful:read:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/anxiety-files/201009/are-you-hypochondriac

http://www.bemindful.co.uk/

LydiKate&co
21-10-10, 17:08
oh...wow. Thanks. When HA gets the best of me, I'm willing to try anything!

Jenny-Lizzy
21-10-10, 17:09
Hi just want to say thanks for the web link found the first one really helpful. As I was reading I was saying yes I do that and yes I do that too :D I really do worry about cancer every single pain or feeling of nausea I get is cancer so I am going to repeat that I have cancer for 20 mins each day and see if it helps - anything is worth a go!!!

Thanks again xx

Primula
21-10-10, 17:59
It would be great to know how you both get on with this. I've been doing it for a couple of days, and I seem to be gaining more perspective about my symptoms. I've started to realise that no one can ever be 100% sure about anything in life, so it is no good looking for certainty in health. This doesn't mean you should never go to the Doctor, but I try now to give myself a couple of weeks to see if the symptoms pass or get any worse, before rushing to make an appointment. Last week I desperately wanted to run to the doctor, and it was very hard not to, but I'm glad I didn't as now I feel calmer, and glad I managed to calm myself.

I also keep reminding myself that we all have to die, some of us sooner than others, and some of us will be unlucky and die young, that's just the way life is for everyone not just me. So however I feel these days, I just say to my HA "so what!" and carry on with whatever I am doing.

bronte
21-10-10, 23:01
well done primula keep it up i hope we all can follow in your footsteps one day xx

scanny77
04-11-10, 18:14
My CBT therapist has recommended his book 'the worry cure', have got in on order so will report back if it was useful.

paula lynne
04-11-10, 18:56
Good advice x

Fj2014
21-08-14, 08:40
I've come to realise lately, that the main problem with my HA, is that I cannot stand the uncertainty of not knowing whether I have cancer or not, so I work myself up into a right state, trying to convince myself that I haven't. This involves googling my symptoms and generally trying to find reassurance. It sometimes works for a little while, but then all the fears come back, as we all know.

Lately instead of trying to get reassurance, I've been flooding myself with uncertainty, by saying to myself, "it's always possible that this is cancer", everytime I have the thought. It's also suggested that you say it to yourself over and over again slowly for about 20mins, and do this every day. At first your anxiety does go up, but then it's starts to wane, and eventully sometimes over a couple of days maybe longer, you do start to get bored with the thought, and your fears subside.

You can do this with any kind of unwelcome thought, so instead of trying to stop the thought, just let it come, and eventually my fears have subsided, I'm not cured, but have had long periods without HA using this idea, and if you can get some relief from it it's worth giving it a go.

I've put some links below that some people might find helpful:read:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/anxiety-files/201009/are-you-hypochondriac

http://www.bemindful.co.uk/

Hi primula,

This is such an old thread that I'm sorry for bringing it back but browsing around I think this advice could really help a lot of people and wanted to say- I've wanted to try this technique for a while but it terrifies me.
Nevertheless, I'm going to give it a go.

xxx

Primula
21-08-14, 10:35
Hi primula,

This is such an old thread that I'm sorry for bringing it back but browsing around I think this advice could really help a lot of people and wanted to say- I've wanted to try this technique for a while but it terrifies me.
Nevertheless, I'm going to give it a go.

xxx

That's ok. It's a good reminder for me too. This technique did work for me, and I was ok until early this year, when I had several very stressful events, which pushed me back in to HA. Instead of practising what I had learned I went in to a downward spiral, before I could catch myself.

Let's all try to start afresh, and help each other. We can do this! :bighug1:

Fj2014
21-08-14, 11:01
I can totally relate - I had myself really stressed out these past few weeks and didn't practice so went right back to square one.
I've since read a few inspiring posts like this, corrected myself, decided I don't need to a&e and will stick to my doctors appointment next week to talk about my hip pain and discuss my anxiety issues.

We can all get through this :yahoo:

Primula
21-08-14, 12:37
I try to find all the inspiring info I can on HA. My therapist is confident that this can be overcome. But she did say that I will need a maintenance programme for the rest of my life. Which is something I've never done before. My health anxiety seems to wAx and wane, and when I'm in the calm period, I forget to keep practising facing my fears. So this time I hope things will be different.

We CAN do this. I t would be great if we could keep helping each other in our recovery, by posting updates, good or bad on how we are getting along. :biggrin:

Fishmanpa
21-08-14, 13:04
I try to find all the inspiring info I can on HA. My therapist is confident that this can be overcome. But she did say that I will need a maintenance programme for the rest of my life. Which is something I've never done before. My health anxiety seems to wAx and wane, and when I'm in the calm period, I forget to keep practising facing my fears. So this time I hope things will be different.

We CAN do this. I t would be great if we could keep helping each other in our recovery, by posting updates, good or bad on how we are getting along. :biggrin:

I posted on another thread that it's a change in lifestyle not unlike a nutrition program or learning to play guitar. Practice, practice, practice, practice! And when you think you've practiced enough, practice some more. The techniques in CBT and other therapies have to become second nature.

Positive thoughts

Primula
21-08-14, 13:17
Absolutely spot on Fishmanpa. Yes we need to practise, practise, practise. About 6 weeks ago, I was getting really good at challenging my thoughts, and started to feel a lot better, so as usual I 'forgot' to do my cbt exercises. Something triggered my HA again, and I didn't jump in quick enough to catch the negative thoughts.

I think all of us with HA, need to realise there is no quick fix, this is hard work , like anything we want to make a success of, it requires dedication and concentration, and keeping our eyes on the ball.

swgrl09
21-08-14, 13:42
You are so right about about it waxing and waning ... I too forget to keep up with techniques, meditation, etc when I feel good and then it catches up with me. Like Fishmanpa said, it's like a diet or exercise routine... if you don't keep up with it, the effects won't last. We can do it though!

Dolphin8808
21-08-14, 13:47
they say that can be some of the best therapy, my doc told me that as well. Think of the worse case scenario.. What would we do? We would deal with it then move on. Same thing, flood your mind with it, embrace it then you get bored with it.