PDA

View Full Version : Starting on meds

Chlorate
22-10-10, 11:32
My anxiety and panic was starting to get in the way of university work and relationships with some friends.
Where I have been somewhat sucessful in controlling my panic attacks and learning to spot when they're coming, they still happen and it's making things difficult.

Tough year this year, lots of work to do and not a lot of free time, I'm going to try and get to some anxiety support groups at the universtiy. But until then I'm on a low dose of propanolol to see if that helps at all.

Hoping it helps, lots of work to be doing in the upcoming weeks :(

-Alex

Garnie
22-10-10, 11:51
Find how to meditate on youtube. It actully does calm you better then meds!

xx

Mikey_99123
22-10-10, 14:05
Hi Alex,

I suddenly started to get anxiety and panic attacks (at work and at home) and was prescribed Seroxat. Unfortunately, this seemed to make my anxiety worse.

After a particularly bad attack, I went to my GP who gave me an ECG (all clear, thank goodness) and suggested Citalopram and then Propranolol for when I needed it. After the trouble I had with Seroxat, I've not taken the Cit but I've found the Propanolol to be absolutely brilliant.

I take it when I can't control my anxiety/panic with breathing or distraction techniques, etc and it gets rid of the rapid pulse in 30 mins or so - it leaves me feeling really calm and 10 or 20mg will last me 10 hours or so. It's only been a few days but today I've taken nothing, feel good and my pulse is around 72 - happy days.

Do try other self-help techniques, of course, but if you do take the Propranolol, I hope it works for you as well as it has done for me (so far:)).

Take care
Mikey

Chlorate
22-10-10, 19:03
Hiya, thanks for the replies.
I do use distraction techniques and controlled breathing usually, hehe I find a few games of solitaire on my phone can help control anxiety for a while.
But even so I still feel anxious quite often, the beta blockers seem to be helping me quite a lot so far.
I figure if I'm going to take them, I'll take 10mg at around midday (since in the morning I usually feel fine) and then another 10mg later in the evening around 7 (so I'm good for the night and can get to sleep easier).

Seeing how it goes for about a week and going back to my doctor.

-Alex