PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks

phil06
22-10-10, 18:09
I've had some symptoms lately like a rapid heartbeat or slow heart beat and makes me panic. I'm on propranolol usually they had been helping but the chest thing has came back the last few weeks is it possible they are still working?

Also had a shortness of breath, and it feels shallow when breathing usually some vics calms me down.

Anybody know why the propranolol is not cutting out these panics as much? I'm worried my heart will stop..:blush::weep:

boppers
22-10-10, 20:58
Sorry to hear you are still having the panics! I'd talk to your doctor and see if they can recommend anything.

phil06
22-10-10, 22:00
Thanks for the reply..

Has anybody suffered shortness of breath or rapid heart beat even on tablets before?

MidnightCalm
22-10-10, 23:19
I was on Propranolol and the doctor changed me to sertraline because he said it wasn't efficient in my case as my anxiety causes all these symptoms.

Electric_Worry
23-10-10, 00:03
I've been taking propranolol for nearly two months now and one of the things I've noticed is not being able to catch my breath properly. This usually happens after something like climbing the stairs. The problem is, it can trigger feelings of panic because you fear you can't breathe properly and it spirals from there.

If you're not wheezing or gasping for air, then it's probably a normal reaction.

phil06
23-10-10, 00:23
I've been taking propranolol for nearly two months now and one of the things I've noticed is not being able to catch my breath properly. This usually happens after something like climbing the stairs. The problem is, it can trigger feelings of panic because you fear you can't breathe properly and it spirals from there.

If you're not wheezing or gasping for air, then it's probably a normal reaction.

Yes most of the time it's like that..I feel like I have to breathe through my mouth and feel I can't get air but the symptom passes in 5/10 minutes..if I panic almost it's a reaction..but in my head I worry case I am gasping..but my nose feels clogged up..and shallow..but maybe I'm just worrying too much? :huh:

It doesn't help when you feel depersonalized alot.

I went on a walk today the shallow breathing started but by the end of the walk I calmed myself down..I'm worried incase I have some serious issue but maybe it's just anxiety? It's worse if my nose is blocked too or if I pick it as it some how clogs it up more. I'm now worried I have a breathing issue though?

Electric_Worry
23-10-10, 00:48
I was about to head off to bed when I saw this post.

I think you're worrying too much, as I know I do the same. When you go out for a mere leisurely stroll, your body still demands more from you and so your breathing becomes a little heavier. Then you become conscious of your breathing and so then it becomes unnatural as you try to control it. Other factors will play a role, such as you suffering from depersonalisation and having somewhat clogged airways due to a stuffy nose.

They sound like perfectly normal anxiety symptoms to me. I have definitely noticed a slight change in my breathing when it comes to propranolol, but like I said, if you're not wheezing or gasping for air then I can't imagine it's a cause for concern. I'm not a doctor nor do I have a great medical knowledge, so all I can say is that if you're really concerned about it, see your doctor. However, what you're describing to me sounds pretty much what I've experience myself, although thankfully I haven't had much depersonalisation.

If you haven't already, look for some anxiety-related breathing techniques which can help regulate your breathing and relax your heart. It's easier said than done when you're having a panic-attack, but it could help you.

I hope this brings some comfort. I'm off to bed now, but I'll check back tomorrow if you have any more questions.

phil06
23-10-10, 00:55
I was about to head off to bed when I saw this post.

I think you're worrying too much, as I know I do the same. When you go out for a mere leisurely stroll, your body still demands more from you and so your breathing becomes a little heavier. Then you become conscious of your breathing and so then it becomes unnatural as you try to control it. Other factors will play a role, such as you suffering from depersonalisation and having somewhat clogged airways due to a stuffy nose.

They sound like perfectly normal anxiety symptoms to me. I have definitely noticed a slight change in my breathing when it comes to propranolol, but like I said, if you're not wheezing or gasping for air then I can't imagine it's a cause for concern. I'm not a doctor nor do I have a great medical knowledge, so all I can say is that if you're really concerned about it, see your doctor. However, what you're describing to me sounds pretty much what I've experience myself, although thankfully I haven't had much depersonalisation.

If you haven't already, look for some anxiety-related breathing techniques which can help regulate your breathing and relax your heart. It's easier said than done when you're having a panic-attack, but it could help you.

I hope this brings some comfort. I'm off to bed now, but I'll check back tomorrow if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

Yes it's probably anxiety I googled http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_breathing and it says anxiety causes all that and it's common on here..I just have to blow my nose constant to get some air but I also feel I have a bit of a cold too.

The symptom can last about half an hour eventually I calm down..knowing I'm still alive and I breathe a little better but it's just a scary symptom. I admit reassuring myself about worry, anxiety is easier than checking symptoms as some health issue..

jothenurse
23-10-10, 13:31
I was on a beta-blocker before because of a rapid heart beat with panic (up to the 160's). It did help slow it down, but it did not stop it from happening all the time. I'm not on it any more, and now when I get a fast pulse, I just try to calm myself and tell myself that my heart is ok. I also am on a very small dose of ativan.
Do you have any history of asthma?

phil06
23-10-10, 19:09
I was on a beta-blocker before because of a rapid heart beat with panic (up to the 160's). It did help slow it down, but it did not stop it from happening all the time. I'm not on it any more, and now when I get a fast pulse, I just try to calm myself and tell myself that my heart is ok. I also am on a very small dose of ativan.
Do you have any history of asthma?

Hi not got any history of Asthma.

jothenurse
24-10-10, 04:29
You should do ok then.

phil06
25-10-10, 15:54
I've been having alot of these panics the last week or so..getting chest pains and strains...

I've been out and felt I can't breathe..eventually it passes...but I feel on another planet during these panics.

I end up fearing these attacks..but are they normal..should I relax? :blush:

jothenurse
26-10-10, 00:06
They're normal, and yes, try to relax. It will help decrease the symptoms that you're experiencing.

phil06
03-11-10, 20:06
Just wondered if anybody else has had these symptoms:

A few weeks back I'd get into a panic attack at work and feel safer sitting down a little but now if I sit it makes me more panicy as I feel I can't breathe so standing is better as I feel I don't die...

My other symptoms include I hit "panic" and become very dream like, tried, woozy, off balance, wobbly. Today it got so bad I ran to the toilet at work...

I've had these bad panics since May. Does that mean if it was serious I'd know and I'd be awful..? is it just anxiety getting at me? :blush:

Meltdown
03-11-10, 21:11
What dose of proprananol are you on?

When I first started having panic attacks, I was put on 10mg twice a day. This had no effect what so ever, with respect to reducing palpitations, and panic attacks!

I am now on 40mg once or twice a day. I usually get by on just one a day, when needed!

Meltdown
03-11-10, 21:13
Just wondered if anybody else has had these symptoms:

A few weeks back I'd get into a panic attack at work and feel safer sitting down a little but now if I sit it makes me more panicy as I feel I can't breathe so standing is better as I feel I don't die...

My other symptoms include I hit "panic" and become very dream like, tried, woozy, off balance, wobbly. Today it got so bad I ran to the toilet at work...

I've had these bad panics since May. Does that mean if it was serious I'd know and I'd be awful..? is it just anxiety getting at me? :blush:

Phil, your symptoms sound like classic anxiety to me - I have had very similar feelings, including hiding in the toilet at work!

eloelo
03-11-10, 21:24
i too have some concerns about propanalol, i have been on in for about 2 months, and when i get a panic attack my nose blocks. I also feel it doesnt help my anxiety and the last 2 weeks it has been worse then ever, i feel as though i am short of breath a lot and tonight i feel out of breath just from walking upstairs ... i asked the doc the other day about the propanalol but he told me to keep taking it but to be honest i dont think i want to but not sure how to come off it
sometimes i take little gasps of breath which i have noticed has started happening recently and again feel this is from the beta blockers. Monday i didnt take one and i got through the day without a panic attack, yesterday i took one and last night had a severe panic attack so today again i havent taken one .. im not sure if its my mind playing tricks on me or if there really is a link between the two ..
sorry this might not help you phil, but thought i would let you know my experiences and that you are not alone in your thoughts about this, keep positive, xx

phil06
03-11-10, 23:12
What dose of proprananol are you on?

When I first started having panic attacks, I was put on 10mg twice a day. This had no effect what so ever, with respect to reducing palpitations, and panic attacks!

I am now on 40mg once or twice a day. I usually get by on just one a day, when needed!

20mg. I have been as high as 80mg but I never wanted to start retaking them. Perhaps it's possible I need more. :blush:

Meltdown
04-11-10, 07:22
i too have some concerns about propanalol, i have been on in for about 2 months, and when i get a panic attack my nose blocks. I also feel it doesnt help my anxiety and the last 2 weeks it has been worse then ever, i feel as though i am short of breath a lot and tonight i feel out of breath just from walking upstairs ... i asked the doc the other day about the propanalol but he told me to keep taking it but to be honest i dont think i want to but not sure how to come off it
sometimes i take little gasps of breath which i have noticed has started happening recently and again feel this is from the beta blockers. Monday i didnt take one and i got through the day without a panic attack, yesterday i took one and last night had a severe panic attack so today again i havent taken one .. im not sure if its my mind playing tricks on me or if there really is a link between the two ..
sorry this might not help you phil, but thought i would let you know my experiences and that you are not alone in your thoughts about this, keep positive, xx

"im not sure if its my mind playing tricks on me or if there really is a link between the two "

It's your mind playing tricks on you! That's what this is all about! LOL

It's like saying "when I drove my wife's car to work yesterday, I had a panic attack, but when I drove mine the rest of the week, I didn't - so obviously her car is causing my panic attacks!

Feeling like you can't breath, and taking short breaths is one of the first symptoms of anxiety.

Geoff2301
04-11-10, 07:30
20mg. I have been as high as 80mg but I never wanted to start retaking them. Perhaps it's possible I need more. :blush:
presume you mean 20mg/day by that which is really low....... I was on 40mg, 3 times a day...... 120mg/day. Might be worth seeing the gp to discuss increase.

phil06
04-11-10, 22:19
I hate this I just can't stop panicking and worrying over nothing..

relaxation is not working.. :weep:

Why can't I stop worrying and panicking right now...I am having multiple panics and all day anxiety every day...:ohmy:

phil06
05-11-10, 14:45
I'm still panicking daily..anybody else had these symptoms?

*Rocking about, very off balance
*Extreme hyperventialtion feel I will stop breathing, slow heart ect..
*Tingling feeling on my face.
*The top of my head feels quite sore...

It's the balance issue at the moment feeling dizzy..off balance that's scaring me...:blush:

Meltdown
05-11-10, 16:47
I wonder how much of your panic is because you are constantly worrying that there is something wrong with you, other than the panic attacks?

All of the symptoms you describe are consistent with panic (in my experience). Shortness of breath is caused by anxiety, as are palpitations and strange heart beats.

Shallow, rapid breathing causes hyperventilation, which in turn causes the dizziness you describe. Numbness/tingling in your arms (or face you said, I think) is a result of too much oxygen in your blood , caused by hyperventilation. Try the "breathing into a paper bag" trick. This will decrease the oxygen back to more normal levels.

Try to re-assure yourself that this is "just" panic, and your symptoms are normal

phil06
21-12-10, 19:14
Does anybody else here get a shortness of breath? Past few days I've been bad with it and spent hours in panic gasping air, shallow breathing..

I have so much air I'm burping and feel strained when I breathe? Is that normal?

:ohmy:

shazy
21-12-10, 20:11
Hi phil,i have shortness of breath all the time day or night,i have to keep taking breaths because i feel like my chest doesnt expand like my chest is dead still.I get scared at night time most because my breathing goes sooo shallow like im not breathing,no movement what so ever.Im always thinking about my breathing it really drives me mad:weep: