PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for going out for a walk?

ridiculouschatname1
24-10-10, 22:15
Just wanted to know if anyone has any tricks or techniques they use to help keep them calm when they go outside? I'm planning on going for a walk tomorrow, which i haven't done in ages, but i'm feeling confident enough to try it. I know about the breathing techniques and stuff. I was out for about 5 minutes earlier on cos i had to walk my nephew home, and i noticed that listening to the sound of my footsteps seemed to calm me for some reason...like listening to the rhythm. Anything at all would be great :yesyes:. Ta.
Paul.

paula lynne
24-10-10, 22:23
Hiya Paul lots of people find an mp3 player absolutely brilliant!
However, if the footstep thing works for you, why not keep going with that?

I personally find thoughts of Micheal Buble very helpful, although may not work for you................................

This past 6 monthes, Ive built up from 5 mins in the garden, to 2 hrs swimming today with my son.....keep practicing, eventually one day youll be out having a great time, and when you get home youll think.."blimey...I didnt panic, or think about panic!!"

Enjoy your time out x:yesyes:

ladybird64
24-10-10, 22:26
Hmmm..lemme think.

Water-of the bottled variety. Useful if you need to catch your breath, get dry mouth or if you get a bit nervy which is possible but who gives a monkeys..stand in one place and sip your water slowly.
I always used to think that the whole world could see me if I was panicky and that water sipping would make me look "normal"!

Make sure you have clothing on that is quite loose fitting, unrestricted clothing always makes me feel comfortable when I'm out walking.

Some people swear by their ipods, a bit of background music is always pleasant.

Lastly but most importantly..enjoy yourself! The weather is chilly but autumn is the perfect time for gentle walks..I used to reward myself with a coffee or tea in a café afterwards.

Time just for yourself. Perfect! :D

supersezza
24-10-10, 22:34
try and think of the sounds you can hear, the feelings of the ground on your feet etc...i like taking a camera out with me too...

ljd
24-10-10, 22:40
Hi,
try stay focused and enjoy the scenary the trees are nice as its autumn, enjoy tc

daybyday
24-10-10, 22:43
I agree with those above.
Bottle of water
Music
Notice everything around you

When I felt hesitant to go out for a walk, I went just down my street and back. If it felt good I went the other way. if it was not easy that day, I just came home, knowing that I did walk some distance.
Neighbors may have thought I was odd, but that's ok. :-)