PDA

View Full Version : ride it out?

lajjj
25-10-10, 09:16
just wandered if anyone had experienced this? just started new meds 4 days ago and was advised to stay off work etc untill i became used to them its all been fine they make me very drowsy so not really been out since i started them but was feeling a little better so i met a friend for coffee yesterday it was all fine to begin with (sat and talked in cafe for 2hrs with no anxiety!) but some other ppl came in and started talkin to us and it suddenly triggered! i started having a panic attack but managed to muddle through the conversation even though i could barely focus on what they were saying i WANTED to run away but i never i held my ground but felt awful the whole time eventually it was time to leave and as i walked back to my car it seemed to get worse i was shaking alot even though i was leaving!! and the adrenaline stayed in my body long after! everything i read says ride out the panic and it will go? i dont understand where i went wrong? can anyone relate? x

suzy-sue
25-10-10, 11:52
Sounds like you are having side effects lajj ..I was like this when I was on them .One minute I was fine then BAM !!!.. Just accept its going to pass and breathe deeply ..Try not to be afraid as it makes it last longer .It will settle in a little while ..WELL DONE for getting through it btw .Its really horrible . all the Best Sue x

JOHN55
25-10-10, 12:12
Firstly well done for sticking it out and beating it.
My theory could be that you were doing so well meeting a friend but when it got busier you said to yourself quite inocentally that you cant cope with this and talked yourself into a frenzy take it from someone who does the same !!
When you feel stronger turn it around and say to the panic is that your best shot ? because i have just beaten you !! This will take time and courage but once you have done it a few times the panic will do a runner !!
John :yesyes:

kibbutz83
25-10-10, 13:13
Hi Lajjj, I can vouch for what John says... if we deny panic it's "power" over us, then it can only dissipate. It seems to become less of a "big deal" when confronted ::)

lajjj
25-10-10, 17:02
thank you to each and every one of you ! i have read all of your messages and taken on board all of the advice it means so much to me to hear that everyone here has been in the same situations and can relate coz to all the 'normal ppl' i just sound crazy ! after reading these messages today i decided to get out there again! so i did one of the most fearful things FOOD SHOPPING IN ASDA! with my mother (she stresses me out) so got in my car did the 20min drive and just got on with it...i was anxious but it was not as bad as yesterday! i am sure i am a long way off recovery but i am going to make a point of going somewhere everyday i am sure like you all said it will get easier with time. thank you once again xxxx

ladybird64
25-10-10, 20:40
Hiya laura :hugs:

Well done you! Briliant stuff all round but try and remember that all this anxiety and panic is just excess energy under a scary name, nothing more than that.

Remember when I said try not to view it as an enemy to be fought? If you do that hun it is twice as difficult as it turns into a battle and who could ever learn to relax and take no notice of a battle raging inside them? :winks:

I am soooo pleased you went to Asda. Not even for the do something every day routine (although that can help) but more for the state of mind you went there with.

If you go in there with the "sod the panic even if it comes" mentality then you are not gearing up for a fight. You will be less tense and anxious because you are not producing so much adrenaline and less adrenaline means less anxiety..get the picture? :yesyes:

This is how it works, bit by bit. It doesn't have to be every day but always try and follow up soon after you have been panicky somewhere, hit the anxiety where it hurts.

It expects you to stay at home, worried sick that you failed and getting het up that you will never be able to go out.

You proved it wrong and you did it with style..Asda for crying out loud!!:scared15::scared15:

You did it..congratulations. Knew you would. :yesyes::hugs:

JOHN55
26-10-10, 09:25
Well done !!
Gradually do something different each day that YOU enjoy the panic will get fed up and move on !!
John

sunshine1984
26-10-10, 09:41
Hey, just saw your post and i have had the same kind of feeling before and well done for sticking it out, everytime you stick it out and get through it will make you stronger and more able to deal with the panic attacks and hopefully have fewer :-)

I found that when i drank coffee or redbull of eat spicy foods i would get shaky and feel overwhelmed and then have a panic attack. i found staying away from caffine and really spicy foods has helped me ALOT i think what you put into your body can have different effects :-)

Hope this helped :-)

lajjj
26-10-10, 13:39
thanks everyone for all of your kind words. its so great to be able to say to people i went to ASDA and for them to understand how hard it can be! ladybird you have been a great help to me i am very grateful to you for takin the time to send me the great advice you have ! john u are right when u say do something YOU enjoy thats quite a good point i do tend to spend most of my time doin thing i DONT enjoy...gave me something different to think about there! sunshine i totally agree with the points u made about coffee etc i drink far too much coffee and i do think it contributes to anxiety alot! today i have decided not to go out but not because anxiety tells me i cant ! i think i have mentioned that i am on new meds and i am having some side effects so rather than put added pressure on my self ive decided to relax today seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow so can discuss the med situation last time we discussed putting the dosage up at this meeting. though they are helpin the side effect have not been great so may change them :s really not sure! any1 any advice? i am on mirtazapine 15mg xx

Nervy_of_catford
27-10-10, 02:45
Coffee and spicy food stimulate the body, and although feelings of slight jitteriness, slight sweating etc are completely normal reactions to these foods, if you have panic attacks it's easy to interpret those physical sensations as panic, because they're the same sensations that come as a result of panic.

Sounds like you're doing really well - ploughing through a panic attack like that is riding it out, and it gets easier the more you do it.

I can now stay at my desk at work while I have a panic attack and no-one knows. I refrain from making phone calls for 10 minutes, and it passes. It's a bit tiring, and annoying, but completely manageable. I'm sure you'll get to a similar point where they become a minor niggle rather than a massive slog.

:)

Robin

Well done!

lajjj
28-10-10, 08:36
thank you robin i do think its easy to confuse the effects of caffine etc with anxiety... i try to stay away from it tho i am pretty addicted to that first cup in the morning! strange thing is i had an appointment yesterday and afterwards i had to go up the local highstreet to collect a prescription.. i live in a small town so everyone knows everyone and was bound to bump into ppl i knew but i didnt feel anxious at all it didnt even cross my mind that i would!

when i got to boots the pharmasist was on her lunch so was told to come back in an hour!!! (ridiculas surely they cld have more than 1 person to dispense tablets!!!) so i actually had to hang around so i walked round the shops and talked to ppl. again anxiety never crossed my mind!

anxiety is one BIG mind game! the moment you forget about it , its gone! i was prescribed escitalopram yesterday and because i read the leaflet i feel anxious and i get the feeling had i not read it i prob would not have anyside effects. but now that i know about it i am sure to get every side effect !!! so am sure you will be hearin from me soon! prob in a post headed "is this side effect normal"! x