PDA

View Full Version : Hi my name is Mary

antomax
25-10-10, 16:29
I have been having horrible panic attacks for the last 7 months, I'm literally suffering with this and don't know if there is light at the end of the tunnel. I had my first panic attack while in college, I thought I was dying slowly, I couldn't breath tight chest fast heart rate and felt like passing out till the paramedics came and took me to the nearest hospital where I was told that it's just a panic attack, they gave me some xanax and sent me home. I was not convinced that it was a panic attack and thought it's something else that they don't know about. I stayed in good condition for 2 weeks and then it hit me again in college and from that day it hit me daily even multiple times a day and every time I had to either go to the hospital or call 911 for help. The worst time I had a panic was when I hyperventilated so much to the point where my hands were totally numb just like two pieces of wood sticks and my tongue was numb and was unable to talk and thought I was gonna die any minute.
I went to the hospital 15 times in one months with the same symptoms and the same diagnosis, they did complete blood work, chest x-rays, ECG, EKG, Stress test, haltor monitor. At that point I was getting closer to be convinced that I do have a panic disorder and went to see a Psychiatrist who gave me Klonopin .05 mg and Lexapro 10 mg. The klonopin managed to stop the panics from getting to the point where my hands gets numb and calmed me down but the lexapro did not work for my panics so he switched me to Zoloft 25 mg which gave me really bad side effects so he switched me to Paxil 12.5 mg and that's what I'm still on for the last 15 days. I don't feel anything except for more anxiety in the morning and at night time when I go to sleep but I'm still giving it a chance to work and trying to finish my 30 days medication.
My panic disorder is making me suffer, I totally stopped doing anything you can imagine. I stopped going to college 7 months ago, shopping, going out alone, driving etc.. I'm basically bound at home, I became agoraphobic. I avoided every place I had a panic at especially certain stores. I need help and I'm very scared this is taking over my life and devastating my future.
I'm a mom to two children who need my care. I would appreciate any advice from this forum.

diane07
25-10-10, 16:31
Hi antomax

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Kell
25-10-10, 16:53
Hi Mary,

Sorry that you're having a tough time. You've come to the right place to 'meet' people who kow what you're going through.

Although I cannot relate to your anxiety about your health (although I'm sure plenty of people on here can), I can relate to how awful it is to have anxiety. Hang in there as it will get better.

Do you have someone you can talk to about this? A friend or family member? If not then make use of this forum as everyone on here is always kind & helpful. I find that keeping a journal each day can help as it can help us keep track of the good aswell as the bad. It's easy to lose sight of the good when we feel overwhelmed. I use it to coach myself.

Take care & keep your chin up

Kel
x

antomax
25-10-10, 17:41
Thanks Kell, I think I came to the right place. I do have a Psychiatrist and Psycho therapist to talk to and of course family members.