PDA

View Full Version : I want blood tests - can I insist on them?

KJE2282
26-10-10, 10:02
Hi,

I have been struggling with my HA anxiety for what feels like a life time but in fact is about 3 months. I have swollen lymph nodes of which they have reduced but have not completely disappeared. The Dr doesn't seem concerned, and so hasn't run the blood tests he said he might. However this morning, poking and prodding around as you do, I found in my groin a slightly raised node.....very moveable, fleshy, and in my rational mind, I think it is probably fine, but I want a full blood count done, just to rule out anything sinister and to put this issue to bed finally....can I insist on this being done??

Has anyone else been in this position before?

joannap
26-10-10, 10:20
my nodes are raised in my groin and under my arm - they are even painful at times and guess what lol! the more you poke/prod the more enlarged they will feel.

if your nodes have gone down then this shows there is nothing to worry about. the thing is the gp will not do a blood test if he thinks there is no reason other than to put your mind at rest - he will need a physical basis and not an emotional one. i have had 4 months of awful stomach symptoms and have only just had blood tests because the gp said he thought it wasn't anything serious so you may have a fight on your hands! nodes can take ages to go down after they have been up so i really would not worry - if you had something like lymphoma - one single node would become incredibly swollen - like an apple lol! and so it sounds like pure anxiety to me xx

KJE2282
26-10-10, 10:26
Thanks Joannap for your reply, that is helpful. The nodes that are enlarged certainly haven't got bigger, and I am trying my utomost to not poke and prod them as I am aware that it will probably make them worse, certainly wont help anyway.

In which case, I think I will cancel my appointment this arvo and leave it until at least next week. I don't know why I even checked my groin area for anything anyway!!

uk23
26-10-10, 10:27
Remember your GP is meant to be there to help you, so even if it means ordering tests they know are pointless they should do.

You could just say to them 'I know this test may show nothing but it would make me feel a lot happier, could you order it anyway please'.

joannap
26-10-10, 11:47
hi piers

in my opinion lol this won;t work - unless you are in total emotional meltdown because in the gps mind - it is a waste of nhs money and we all know with health anxiety that as soon as we get reassurance on one symptom - we tend to find another.

when i had my first breakdown i was in tears at the gps begging for a brain scan because i had the most horrific headaches - i ended up having them for year and i never got a scan lol.

in an ideal world - yes - they should do it to reassure you but unless you have an extremely sympathetic gp - they will not do a test purely to put your mind at rest.

uk23
26-10-10, 13:08
However remember anxiety disorders should, according to the NHS and other health organisations, be a diagnosis of exclusion.

Doctors should do tests to rule stuff out and a blood tests costs barely anything compared with the time costs associated with constant trips to the GP to ask them more about the same issue.

Thats what my GP says anyway.

ladybird64
26-10-10, 14:25
Remember your GP is meant to be there to help you, so even if it means ordering tests they know are pointless they should do.

You could just say to them 'I know this test may show nothing but it would make me feel a lot happier, could you order it anyway please'.

Sorry, I totally disagree with you Piers and as your GP works for the NHS, I think what he has said is irresponsible.

It is NOT all about diagnosis of exclusion, it should be if there are clinical grounds for the tests. Blood tests are one thing but when you have people demanding, and receiving, extremely expensive tests when they are not needed is a joke.

I did raise this on another thread I started on Miscellaneous and was surprised that it seemed to be all those who were not in favour of unnecessary testing that answered, only one from someone who seemed to have a very valid point!

And before anyone jumps in, tests are free to those that genuinely need them, not for peace of mind.
I'm sorry if that seems harsh but I have had close family members who have had to undergo many many painful and intrusive tests for a dianosis of their condition, I also remember well the waiting lists and how upsetting it was.

As I also mentioned in another thread, my daughter has to wait 3 months for an MRI, we are in the London area and she is losing her hearing.

We have been told it's a funding issue. Funding should be available for those in need, not for those who want.

uk23
26-10-10, 14:52
I was not talking about major tests and I dont think my GP was either, I was talking about the odd xray or blood test - that sort of thing.

All the tests I have had I have talked about with my GP and he agreed they were a good idea just to rule something out.

I know one person who was told they had anxiety, only later to find out they actually had a serious physical problem.

btw, Sorry to hear about your daughter. I do agree the waiting lists are extensive. btw if she is losing her hearing I am very surprised they have not ordered an urgent test. I would be furious about that and be on the phone to my MP.

ladybird64
26-10-10, 14:59
Thanks for understanding Piers. Yes, I tend to agree with you on the blood test issue but I do think the GP should have an idea of what he is excluding and relay that to the patient otherwise it could lead to more demands for bigger tests.

If you see what I mean :)

westofengland
26-10-10, 17:59
Are you sure a full blood test WILL put your mind at rest? It might solve this issue, but if you anything like me, you will eventually start worrying about something else

I hope that's not the case, and that you get closure, but it might be worth thinking about?

I've been testing for HIV (negative), diabetes (negative), liver damage (none), blood pressure (very good), prostrate cancer, etc etc but has it solved my HA? Er, no.