PDA

View Full Version : Depression or just fed up with being Anxious?

heavenly
26-10-10, 10:52
My situation.

10 weeks ago, I got the panic attack from hell, doc put me on 1 x 2.5mg Olanzapine, they calm down irrational thoughts in the brain. They are helping with the anxiety'panic episodes, though I feel drowsy and have put on weight. Side effects I have to put up with at the mo. I still feel anxious daily, unfortunately at the mo, but it is minor in the most part and I do know its early days.

I am going to a counsellor weekly, really helping, CBT and general talking.

I have given up smoking, started yoga, go to gym more, taking vits to help with nervous system and herbalist friend has given me some Valerian to take, not started that yet.

Last couple of weeks, I have felt really low on some days, can't put my finger on it, I am content with my life, just not content with being this anxious person. Am I just fed up of being anxious or am I mildly depressed? I wasn't depressed before I got anxious. Obviously don't want to take an anti depressant if I don't have to, but these low days are really getting me down...funny that. :blush:

What do you guys think? Those of you on anti depressants, were you put on them because you started getting anxiety attacks or were you on them before the attacks started?

Hazel B
26-10-10, 14:27
Heavenly, I found a test for you to do online, I hope it works as a link, if not copy & paste. This gives an idea, but obviously be careful of self-diagnosis without seeing your doctor.

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx

Thinking of you and keep doing all the healthy stuff you've listed!

:hugs: x

heavenly
26-10-10, 16:05
Thank you hun, it said it is unlikely I am suffering from depression but if I am worried about my mood or health, then see a GP or ring NHS Direct. I regularly see my GP, next appointment on 19 November, see how I am then. Also will bring it up with my counsellor when I see her next on Thurs. It probably is the anxiety talking, but I will monitor the situation. These low days really get me down. Thanks again. xx

heavenly
26-10-10, 17:15
Feeling a bit tearful now, grrrr, and no idea why as I am not feeling particularly anxious, though obviously feeling low is now making me feel anxious, vicious cycle. Thought I was making good progress, its so frustrating.

Hazel B
26-10-10, 17:38
Hope it passes soon, big hugs. x

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::h ugs:

heavenly
26-10-10, 19:23
Will try and see my GP tomorrow or next day, feel very low.

Nigel
26-10-10, 19:32
Hi Heavenly,

I’m sorry you’re feeling a bit down at the moment. As well as possibly feeling a little depressed about being anxious, some people do tend to find themselves feeling down for no apparent reason at this time of year.

SAD, it’s called. Seasonally Affected Disorder. It’s something to do with having fewer hours of daylight.

Take care :)
Nigel

heavenly
26-10-10, 21:53
Hi Heavenly,

I’m sorry you’re feeling a bit down at the moment. As well as possibly feeling a little depressed about being anxious, some people do tend to find themselves feeling down for no apparent reason at this time of year.

SAD, it’s called. Seasonally Affected Disorder. It’s something to do with having fewer hours of daylight.

Take care :)
Nigel

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply. Yes I don't think the dark hours help, I really don't. I am going to try and see my GP tomorrow, last couple of days I have felt really down, like a black cloud is over me. I have just had to take a Diazapam to help me sleep. I am on Olanzapine, for my anxiety but last couple of days it has felt much more than that.

Hazel B
26-10-10, 22:10
Hope you sleep well sweetheart, talk tomorrow. :bighug:

x x

PoppyC
27-10-10, 12:29
Hi
I hope you feel a bit less down as time goes on.
Maybe the new medication that you have started is giving you some side effects to begin with?
You are doing well with giving up smoking and keeping active!
I agree with what Nigel said. I do think also that this time of year can be depressing. I have been down for a couple of days - I am not sure why - I just feel like everything is dull - but its not! I can't explain it. I take citalopram.
Hopefully we will feel a bit happier soon!

heavenly
27-10-10, 12:54
Hi
I hope you feel a bit less down as time goes on.
Maybe the new medication that you have started is giving you some side effects to begin with?
You are doing well with giving up smoking and keeping active!
I agree with what Nigel said. I do think also that this time of year can be depressing. I have been down for a couple of days - I am not sure why - I just feel like everything is dull - but its not! I can't explain it. I take citalopram.
Hopefully we will feel a bit happier soon!

Thank you Poppy. Saw GP today, told her about last couple of days and she said it sounds like depression. She has put me on 20mg Citalopram, I was on that couple of years ago short-term and I didn't have any side effects. So I am taking Olanzapine for the anxiety and Citalopram for the dark moods and when the Citalopram kicks in after couple of weeks or so, hopefully can reduce the Olanzapine, with a view to stopping it and just having the Citalopram.