PDA

View Full Version : stopping Mirt after 6 weeks, cant stand anymore

lori1
26-10-10, 13:36
Just wanted to tell of my expirience on Mirt. I have been on it 6 weeks and cannot stand anymore, been to Doc's today and he has put me straight on to Prozac, which i have had before, and suited me. I start tomoro and he said just stop the Mirt. So i am going to be brave. I cannot tell you how ill i have been on these pills, every day feeling worse, my doc just kept telling me that it would get better, but i didnt. My anxiety has gone through the roof, i never suffered with it before!! I have had flu like symptons for 10 days, shivering and shaking, my hair is falling out, the dizziness has got worse, not better and im not sleeping on it!!! The very reason i went on this was because of sleep, but it just hasnt worked for me, and the horrendous drowsiness for the first 2 weeks was so bad, i really am looking forward to not taking another pill again, i believe for me, this has been the most awful drug.
Will post soon and let you know how things are

I wish you all well on this, but it aint for me!

Love and hugs Lori xxxxx

Emma1
26-10-10, 13:44
Hi Lori,

I have been prescribed mirtazapine for the first time this morning and i must say i am feeling very anxious about the whole thing. I have been on fluoxetine for the last 3 months and both myself and my doctor felt they werent having enough effect on my depression and so he has put me onto mirt....i felt great because finally after so long i have finally been given something that is supposed to help me sleep but the more i think about it im becomming more anxious about starting another new antidepressant...

sorry to hear you had such a bad time on it and hope your feeling better soon

emma x

lori1
26-10-10, 14:35
Hey hun
thanks for your reply, oh sorry didnt want to put you off, just my experience....but i never suffered with anxiety before going on these, just went thru the roof!!! Really havent felt well on them at all. but we are all different. If you are going to take them, i wish someone had told me before how drowsy they would make you, i would start on half a tablet 7.5 as they knock you for six!
Good luck hun. keep posting and let us know how your doing
Lori x

Emma1
26-10-10, 14:46
Hey Lori,

Yeah after reading experiences on here i think the general concensus is they make you very sleepy....which is all well and good at night when i need to get some sleep...but feeling quite anxious about feeling groggy in the days...im at uni and can already feel myself falling behind and so dont want to make it worse but il try and keep an open mind and give them a try...iv got a week to go before i can anyway, my doctor told me i have to stop the fluoxetine for a week first to try and get it out my system. He has prescribed me 30mg of the mirt but told me to take half a tablet for the first 4 days to see how i go.....will deffo keep you posted how im getting on, think its time i started to get things off my chest and maybe i wouldnt get into these downward spirals....

thanks for the advice and good luck to you too

emma x

lori1
26-10-10, 14:54
So glad you have a sensible doc, very wise to put you on half tab at first, it will make you drowsy for 2 weeks, so be careful if you drive, i am a hopless insomniac and am used the drowsiness of sleepers, but wasnt prepared for the extreme drowsiness! Funnynhow your Doc wants to leave a week between pro and Mirt, my doc says its safe to take my first one tomoro, lots of people apparently take Mirt with Prozac, anyway good luck, let me know how you get on
Lori xxx

Emma1
26-10-10, 15:00
i dont know to be honest but i guess i best do as he says....iv also got in touch with me personal tutor from uni to arrange a meeting with her this week, think it might be a good idea to fill her in on whats going on just in case i start to fall any further behind. i have a lot going on of late and so missed a few of my sessions so just think i should keep her up to speed on things. now all i need to do is get in touch with counselling, i was meant to go for my first appointment last week and i didnt go...couldnt even tell you why i just didnt... just feel like my head could explode but my doc told me i should get in touch and rearrange another appointment :wacko:
however, we shall see what happens i suppose
emma x

lori1
26-10-10, 15:08
I would go for your counselling Emma, definately it will be good for you. Yes its a very good idea to warn your tutor, you def will feel the affects of the tabs for a couple of weeks, i didnt drive because the drowsiness was too much. But see how you get on, hopefully you will do well

Best of luck

Lori x

Emma1
26-10-10, 15:10
i think my car will be remaining firmly outside my house for the forseeable....uni isnt too far away anyway so it wont be a major problem. thanks for all your help, will keep you posted.
best of luck to you too, and thanks again
emma xx

lori1
26-10-10, 15:21
Ok Emma no probs.....Please keep in touch and i will look for your reply

Good luck

Lori x

ems43
27-10-10, 17:25
emma, just reading through this post and I was also really anxious about starting mirt after having a bad reaction to escitlopram ( though previously had worked a treat!). I guess we all react to meds differently, and even differently at different times by my recent experiences. I was put on these for anxiety with co-morbid depression- have been on them about 3 and a half weeks now. I have times when i def feel less anxious and seem to be copign a lot better. My psychiatrist prescribed these as they are not supposed to increase your anxiety as much as some of the ssri do. As for feelign groggy... I really haven't felt this too much apart from just after take the med! Otherwise, I'm still very active and exercise everyday so they can't be making me that tired. good luck with them xx