PDA

View Full Version : HELP

paulafish
26-10-10, 16:19
Hi there, i have been taking seroxat for 16 years and recently my panic/anxiety symptoms have come back, i have been weaned off over the last 4 weeks and been completly off for 7days now, my doctor has given me diazapam to help the withdrawel but this is the hardest thing i have ever had to do i have a 3 year old son and a partner and do not want to lose it all, please if there is anyone who has done this can you get in contact, also any thereapies that might help.

Thanks

paula.

Kell
26-10-10, 16:55
Hi Paula,

Sorry that you're feeling bad.

First of all - you're not going to lose it all. You're just having a tough time & you will come through it. Speak to your partner about how you're feeling & I'm sure that he will try to reassure you as best he can.

Is your doctors weening you off in order to put you onto another medication? Are you due to go back soon? Perhaps you could ask for a referral for counselling?

In the meantime there is not magic solution I'm afraid (if only there was) - you just have to muddle through as best you can & as time passes it will get easier. Just try to look after yourself as best you can - try to eat what you can, get some fresh air & exercise each day, try to do things that you enjoy (play with your child, watch a film etc), try to do relaxng things (soak in the bath, read a book etc), try to have a routine to your day, get a good nights sleep, keep a journal of your day & try to focus on the positives. I hope that helps :-)

Take care & keep us posted on how you're feeling

Kel
x

Vixxy
26-10-10, 17:08
Hi paula. I actually have a question for you XD Did you carry on taking Seroxat whilst you were pregnant? I actually want a child, but I fear that it'll be a long time until I'm well enough to go med free for a pregnancy! And I'm scared if I fall pregnant in the mean time the doc will order me to stop taking them. Any advice would be appreciated :)

As for how you feel right now. That was a very quick wean. It took me months to come off of citalopram. However you've done it now, so you need to focus on getting yourself well enough to get through these next few weeks. As Kell has said, try to take it easy. Don't organise anything that will stress you out. Try to keep your life as simple as possible, to avoid any pressure and stress adding to it. It would also be a good idea to invest in a relaxation CD or MP3. Listen to it first thing in the morning before you do anything else. Ask your partner to be on child duty whilst you do it. Then throughout the day if you feel your anxiety rising listen to it again.
Take care :)

elainey70
26-10-10, 18:24
Hi Paula

I came off seroxat last year after being on it for 14 years, i to found it horrendous and was given diazapam and prozac to help with the withdrawal. It did take some weeks for the withdrawal symptoms to stop but i got through it. Unfortunately my anxiety and panic has returned after a year of being off the seroxat and have now restarted them, but to be honest the anxiety is so bad im glas to be back on them as i was well for the 14 years i was on them. Did you anxiety start after you stopped them?

paulafish
28-10-10, 13:45
Hi Paula,

Sorry that you're feeling bad.

First of all - you're not going to lose it all. You're just having a tough time & you will come through it. Speak to your partner about how you're feeling & I'm sure that he will try to reassure you as best he can.

Is your doctors weening you off in order to put you onto another medication? Are you due to go back soon? Perhaps you could ask for a referral for counselling?

In the meantime there is not magic solution I'm afraid (if only there was) - you just have to muddle through as best you can & as time passes it will get easier. Just try to look after yourself as best you can - try to eat what you can, get some fresh air & exercise each day, try to do things that you enjoy (play with your child, watch a film etc), try to do relaxng things (soak in the bath, read a book etc), try to have a routine to your day, get a good nights sleep, keep a journal of your day & try to focus on the positives. I hope that helps :-)

Take care & keep us posted on how you're feeling

Kel
x

Hi Kel, Thanks for replying. My doctor weaned me off to try another medication called mirtazapine but these made me so disorientated and it was like i was drunk so i had to stop taking them. I have got another doctors appointment on tuesday and they have said that a consellor should be contacting me. I just want a normal life will it ever happen??

Kell
28-10-10, 16:59
Hi Paula,

Of course you will have a normal life. I know that it may not feel like it & I can relate to that feeling.

Just give yourself a bit of time & things will improve.

Sorry, this is brief but I've got to dash

Take care

Kel
x

joannap
28-10-10, 19:03
hi paula - i have just come off citalopram after 6/7 years and 3 days after my last tablet (even though i had weaned down after a year) i was hit like a ton of bricks with the most intense physical symptoms - lots of acceptance and just trying to distract myself has seen me over the worst of it but it took 2 weeks for the worst of it to pass. i believe seroxat has a longer half life meaning it takes longer to leave your system and so you may feel the discontinuation effects for a bit longer but you have come so far - keep going lol.

i am trying to not go back on any meds - just trying to live in day tight compartments and not let my negative thoughts get the upper hand!

i have started doing 15 mins of yoga every day plus 1/2 hr relaxation plus taking bach flower remedies and feel these are helping x