PDA

View Full Version : feel worse in the home

amethyst3
26-10-10, 16:32
Hi! I have come across threads where people feel worse when they are out of the house. I was wondering if anyone feels worse in their home. When I am out, and get to talk to people, for the majority of the time I feel fine (I can feel a bit wierd in supermarkets!!). But as soon as I am back in the house I get the depersonalised and anxiety feelings back. Can anyone relate to this?
Thanks.

PanicOver!!
26-10-10, 16:44
Hi yes i can totally and im sure it because you have time to think and not many distractions.
After a while home becomes somwhere that anxiety happens and it just gets worse.
Try making time to totally relax .. take an hour for yourself.. find a relaxation CD and really enjoy the "you" time eventually once your mind associates home with relaxation home will become a nice place to not the opposite.

best of luck

Marc xx

debs71
26-10-10, 16:45
Hi Amethyst,

Thanks for a really interesting post and question.....

It is odd as I swing between the two. Sometimes home is a haven for me, especially when I am feeling panicky as I am in my comfort zone and with family around me to lean on for support, but in other ways, when I am feeling better within myself and more able to get out and about, being active OUT of the house is much better for me as my mind is occupied. When I feel well, home becomes the worst place for me as I sit stuck with my own thoughts and start spiralling down into anxiety and panic again.

It is a strange thing. I suppose finding the balance is the best solution xxx

Carly Lou
26-10-10, 16:45
im the same... i do feel worse at home... because thats where i had my first ever panic attacks and started off my horrid health anxiety xxxxx

debs71
26-10-10, 16:49
That's rung a bell with me too Carly Lou.

Home in some ways holds bad memories for me as I experienced my breakdown here 6 years ago, and still recall the horror of that, going from room to room like a trapped animal.

It is sad to feel about home like that as well, as I also love the place as I spent a happy childhood here.

I s'pose a psychologist would say it isn't about the place itself, it is about what we carry around with us memory wise, but it is hard to disassociate yourself from that.

Joexgee
26-10-10, 16:57
i also can relate to this, i always have been the type to panic outside the house, but since being out of work for a long time, ive just started to get panic at home, its funny ive just read this cos i have just had a really bad anxiety attack this afternoon, and all ive done is sit on the sofa watching a film? im still shaking now. i think i am worse when im alone at home than when my daughter and hubby is here. i feel bad most days at the moment, so u r not alone :weep: this site has helped me and sometimes just writing it down can ease my symtoms x take care

pinkyjo
26-10-10, 17:41
Hi, I can totally relate to that so do understand.I think because my anxiety started in my home I relate home to those feelings.Its hard to erase the memories of the really bad times & replace them with happy times at home but you can do it.:)

amethyst3
26-10-10, 19:55
Hi! Thanks for your lovely replies. Yes, you are right, I think I am more distracted when I am out and then when I get home, I am conscious of every though and feeling. Not even having my 3 children at home can distract me sometimes! But it is a lot worse when I am on my own. Carlylou, My health anxiety started at home too so it probably has bad memories aswell. I haven't been posting on this website long but it helps me so much. x

mandie
26-10-10, 20:10
Hi

I get alot of my anx in my home to. I am very bad in supermarkets and im always glad to come home after iv had a horrible time there though.

However i get alot of my anxiety in my home to, i could be just sitting watching tv and the panic just starts!

love mandie x

olderfella
26-10-10, 21:07
Hi i am exactly the same i dont like being at home,like many of you i had my first experience of panic at home in the middle of the night so i think i just associate home with panic,its sad that we feel like this as home is where we should feel safe.Since starting my new meds i have felt better but i will admit i am still very wary,i hope for all of us that we will eventualy stop associating our homes with panic as we should all feel safest of all in our homes.:)

heavenly
26-10-10, 21:56
If I am feeling anxious, I feel bad at home, at work, or just out. There is no escape when I feel like that, feeling like it at the moment actually. Though at work, at least I am distracted, but its such a struggle to get through the day.

ems43
28-10-10, 00:46
yes, i can def relate... i read somewhere that depersonalisation/ derealisation are usually at there worst when in familiar settings/ with familiar people which obviously causes them to be even more distressing. x

GreyGirl
28-10-10, 01:11
Me too,home is my hell!