PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you on Anti depressants?

heavenly
27-10-10, 10:18
When my anxiety attacks started, about 10 weeks ago. I didn't feel depressed, just had to learn how to cope with the anxious feelings (I am having counselling), but now that I have felt cr*p the past 10 weeks, I am now having the odd day of feeling really down and low, its really getting me down. These past 2 days have been like that, which resulted in an attack last night, I got 3 hours sleep. Feeling so bad today. :weep:

I am seeing the GP at 11am today, going to ask her about the meds I am on, I am on Olanzapine for the anxiety but will ask her if I need to treat these 'low days' with something else.

Can I ask those of you on anti depressants, what meds you are on. And do they help with the anxiety, or do you take something else for that?

heavenly
27-10-10, 10:33
depression often results from anxiety.
For obvious reasons panic will make you feel down.

some AD treat anxiety too. but alot of ADs will raise anx for first few weeks which you need to ride out. You need to discuss fully with Dr

Oh dear, not sure I like the sound of that! But yes, will discuss things fully with GP. Thank you for the reply.

heavenly
27-10-10, 10:34
Hi Heavenly

Aww im sorry your feeling down heavenly. Has fed says, anxiety can cause depression.

Tell your doctor exactly how you feel so that they can prescribe or advise you of the best way forward.

Im on citralopram which treats both, but you will need to find the most suitable medication for yourself.

Take care

Alison x

Thank you Alison. I have been on Citalopram before, couple of years ago, only for about 6 months (mum had passed away and I wasn't working for over a year, lost all confidence), didn't have the anxiety issue though that I have now. I didn't have any side effects on it, so knowing it treats anxiety as well is a relief. I will see what the GP says. This Olanzapine I am on, whilst being a help with the anxiety, makes me feel drowsy all the time and unable to concentrate at work, which in turn, makes me feel anxious. I just want to be on the right meds, I feel awful at the mo.

heavenly
27-10-10, 12:06
Got back from the docs, told her how I have been feeling past few days and she said it does sound like depression and has put me on 20mg Citalopram, what I was on before. I can still take the Olanzapine for the anxiety but in time, when the Citalopram has kicked in, I can reduce and eventually stop the Olanzapine. She said it will take about 2 weeks for the Citalopram to kick in and it won't cause more anxiety.

So, will see how that goes. Here's hoping that I can sleep tonight, do feel better I have seen the GP though.

heavenly
27-10-10, 12:55
Haven't been in chat before, have thought about it though, bit nervous...well that is the norm with anxiety I suppose! lol

suzy-sue
27-10-10, 13:12
Heavenly ..if you go to the Citalopram sub -forum .Psych poet has written a guide for Citalopram .It may help you .Also there are plenty of people on Citalopram who will be able to support you during this period of adjustment .Hope all goes well for you ..Sue x:hugs:

heavenly
27-10-10, 13:19
Heavenly ..if you go to the Citalopram sub -forum .Psych poet has written a guide for Citalopram .It may help you .Also there are plenty of people on Citalopram who will be able to support you during this period of adjustment .Hope all goes well for you ..Sue x:hugs:

Thanks Sue, much appreciated. xx