PDA

View Full Version : To check or not to check

fightingmyself
27-10-10, 18:17
I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but I did it to help me decide whether to check a 'symptom'. I've changed it so that hopefully it might apply to any symptom. Please add your own tips, as I need as much help as anyone

For checking
* If check goes how I want it to, then it might put my mind at ease

Against Checking
* If check doesn't satisfy me, it will definately make me alot worse
* Even if check goes well, it might still not satisfy me later on, it didn't yesterday, as I still rechecked X times
* I've been repeatedly and consistantly wrong in the past
* Even if symptom there, it could be due to something simple and harmless
* Are you sure you know what you are checking? It takes seconds to get in a panic, an age to get out of it
* Proper tests use microscopes in labs etc, have you got the right equipment?
* Are self checks the same as a Drs check? Does a Dr spend hours at a time poking, prodding, staring at your problem, or are they able to come to a conclusion in virtually seconds?
* you can usually find something 'of interest' wherever you check if you check long enough
* Even after checkin X times yesterday, I wasn't sure of what I saw
* I might have always had this thing, and so might everyone else I just never put it under a spotlight
* I could check, find nothing untoward, and still have a problem - you cant prove a negative
* I could check, find something and get freaked out, even though totally innocent due to health anxiety

pete24
27-10-10, 19:22
Totally agree with your remarks esecially the one about seconds to get in apanic and ages to get out.I can find anytjhing and then the whole day is ruined.You replied to my post earlier today[pete24] and my wife read it and thought ihad wrote it.

CrazyCatLady
27-10-10, 23:30
Thank you for posting, I'm trying to break the habit of checking at the moment, and it's nice to get some extra tips.

I've found physical methods work best for me, i.e. identifying when I do most of my checks, and making it more difficult for myself (I always check in the shower or when I just step out, by changing the bulb in the bathroom to a softer light, and covering the mirror, I then can't check)

My partner now knows that when I seek reassurance, he shouldn't oblige, and should instead distract me with another conversation.

Hmm... What else...? Oh...

I MUST NOT GOOGLE!!

All I can think of for now.

:)

fightingmyself
28-10-10, 18:02
If checking worked, we'd all do it once a day max and be satisfied. I know i've never done that

fightingmyself
28-10-10, 18:09
The only way to stop checking, is to stop checking

It really works, 100% of the time!

fightingmyself
28-10-10, 19:30
Not googling has to be in the top 5 :)