PDA

View Full Version : Benefits

uk23
27-10-10, 18:19
Just spoken with DWP, we are now meant to live on £85 per week for 2 people.

How the f*ck is that even possible?

suzy-sue
27-10-10, 18:57
Many do it ..no choice .:lac:

uk23
27-10-10, 19:01
Thats a really helpful answer, thanks...

uk23
27-10-10, 19:04
infact **** it, ive really had it with this site, just delete me one of the adins.

debs71
27-10-10, 19:13
Piers, I don't think Sue meant that harshly at all. To be honest mate, you are quite lucky to get anything at all! I get sod all and I haven't worked since last October having resigned from the NHS for stress reasons and I have been seeking a non nursing job without success.I could possibly get JSA but am holding off as I desperately don't want to sign on YET AGAIN as I hate it with a passion and find it depressing and demoralising, but in terms of anything else I get ZILCH. As far as the powers that be are considered, the fact I am living under my parents roof at the age of 39 means that I am okey dokey as they can bail me out, which I find ludicrous as I am a grown adult and would not expect them to bail me out simply because I am living with them, so I have been living off my dwindiling bank account - paying for all my food and upkeep whilst seeking work actively, up until the point my panic returned a couple of months ago.

I get where you are coming from, and understand your frustration, but please remember that some of us get jack s**t.

suzy-sue
27-10-10, 19:20
Its a fact of life Piers ..no its not helpful ..Its damn hard and practically impossible .BUT THE MONEY YOU GET IS for basic needs .It can be done .You have to put aside what is NEEDED to pay for heating and cooking .WaterRates .Cut down on heat by putting more clothes on and even washing clothes less often until you have enought for a full load .Shop for food in cheaper shops ,and sometimes that means walking a further distance to maybe save 5opence .Live within a budget ,fresh veg is cheaper than frozen .No alcohol,no cigs no car No takeaways .It s not for luxuries its for basic needs .Thats a fact of life .No it isnt right but what is .Theres nothing you can do ,perhaps work from home doing something ? .Millions of pensioners live in poverty ..LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR OLD AGE ..Life is tough . Make sure you are not entitled to other benefits .It could bump it up a bit . Its no good taking it out on this site .just because you dont get the answers you want .Sometimes you just have to make the best of it and get on with it . Sue

nomorepanic
27-10-10, 19:27
Piers

You obviously have a talent with this UI stuff - is there any way you could get some work at home that you could do to make a bit of income?

When I was at my worst with anxiety I had to carry on working as I had a mortgage to pay and couldn't afford not to - it can be done even though it is hard work.

Nigel
27-10-10, 19:49
Hi Piers,

It’s aint fair, but I suppose somehow we’ve gotta try and make the best of it. Some excellent tips from Sue in the art of ‘meanness’ :winks:

Money is a very emotive subject, and one I’ve had my biggest rants and tantrums about too :blush:

Nic’s right – not just about the UI stuff but those other images (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83476) you posted and linked to are pretty good too. Might be possible to make bit of extra money from that area in some way??

Take care,
Nigel

uk23
27-10-10, 20:05
We cant afford water and will be cut off unless we produce £180 on the 18th, we only eat one meal a day at the moment, its all we can afford. We cut back on smoking to 1 pack between us now (its not something you can just give up straight away).

Our heating is on in 1 room when we can afford it, the other day it was 12 degrees in our sittingroom, we just sat there shivering under blankets and clothes.

This is why I was pissed off about that reply. Yes I know people have to live on that, but when you are housebound some heating is nice, or maybe even more food possibly?

I tried working, it made things worse.

The one meal we eat is either a pot noodle or morrisons value shepards pie.

Neither of us drink anything apart from water.

Also, if I had said something like 'I am have palps' and you replied with that - would that be cool? No it wouldnt be. This is meant to be a support forum - people are obviously entitled to their own opinions but if they are not supportive or productive then I think they should be kept to themselves.

In the last 3 years I have gone from earning nearly twice that per day (about £150) to living on half that per week for 2 of us. If it was just me then fine maybe but for 2 people.

Reading other posts maybe I am underestimating how messed up I am mentally if people can actually survive on that money.

uk23
27-10-10, 20:13
Hi Piers,

It’s aint fair, but I suppose somehow we’ve gotta try and make the best of it. Some excellent tips from Sue in the art of ‘meanness’ :winks:

Money is a very emotive subject, and one I’ve had my biggest rants and tantrums about too :blush:

Nic’s right – not just about the UI stuff but those other images (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83476) you posted and linked to are pretty good too. Might be possible to make bit of extra money from that area in some way??

Take care,
Nigel

And thank you Nigel but I already do some work here and there but cant earn too much or they will take more away from my benefits.

I own and run some of these popular sites:

www.anony.ws
www.anoxy.ws
www.upld.eu
www.mbmods.com
www.anxiousart.com

and have recently designed these:

www.sullivanwindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sbphotographics.co.uk

I have also had work printed in a couple of magazines and displayed at the affordable art fair in London.

kibbutz83
27-10-10, 20:20
I have a neighbour who is forever knocking on my door, asking for money to feed her son :( She and her partner both smoke... cigarettes are considered a luxury, so why would you think benefits should pay for that luxury? I used to smoke too, and when I gave up both for health and financial reasons, I could start looking after myself better... better food, vitamins etc. Giving up was probably the hardest thing I've ever done ( apart from giving birth ) but like the rest of us who are struggling to survive you've gotta do whatever it takes : ) No time like the present! : )

bottleblond
27-10-10, 20:24
Piers

I can completely understand how difficult things are for you. I am a single parent and the money they expect you to live on sucks. I worked all my days, from 16 to 30. I'm 38 now and i had to give up my job at 30 due to splitting up from my partner, moving home, increased anxiety and eventualy agoraphobia.

It is very very very difficult, there are no two ways about it.

Lisa
xx

uk23
27-10-10, 20:27
..so why would you think benefits should pay for that luxury?..

We are trying to cut back, we have gone from a pack a day each down to half a pack each and hopefully down to none in a bout a month - but as you know it takes time. I tried quitting before cold turkey and, although I found that method easy with diazepam, I couldn't seem to do it with smoking.

I dont expect benefits to pay for cigarettes, that's why we are smoking french ones at the moment that my sister gave us - we have about 800 left.

And another annoying thing is that whenever I speak to the DWP on the phone they instantly take a disliking to me - maybe if I was a football loving, alcohol drinking, working class type then they would like me.

Of course I am not say all working class are like that at all but from past experience it seems to help on the phone.

Actually when I worked with drug users and alcoholics they got more respect on the phone that I do.

Maybe I should try talking to them in latin?

PoppyC
27-10-10, 20:28
Hi Piers
I think that was a bit harsh to Sue. :unsure:
If the DWP staff sound miserable sometimes then maybe its because they get verbally abused a lot - they are just doing a job and they dont set the rules - the goverment do.
You may not like this comment but...maybe you dont come across that friendly with the advisors at the DWP? I think it is quite snobbish to say 'working class, football loving alcoholics'.... believe me I have met many middle/upper class alcoholics...ok they may have preferred rugby...
Being an alcoholic or a drug addict does not get you any more benefit than a person on Incap Benefit not being able to work due to mental health problems.
Why would you think drug taking, football loving, alcoholics are treated in a friendlier manner??? Do you listen in to the conversations. I hardly think the DWP staff think ' Oh lets be nice to this person because he/she is a druggie/alcoholic'!
I can understand your frustrations and I can understand that you want support, but when it comes to financial situations, we can only help so much. What else can we do in a situation like this?...apart from sympathise, which I do and I am sure a lot of the others on the site do.
I know it is hard. I have been there in the past with my son to support. The only way to improve my circumstances was to work (however I do know that there are hardly and jobs around at the moment) I am sure there are lots of others on this site struggling too.
Have you considered going to Citizens Advice and asking and them to do a review of your benefits to make sure you are getting everything you are entitled to?

uk23
27-10-10, 20:30
What was harsh to Sue?

I have been to the CAB and seen the local MP - although he was very helpful with mental health treatment and referrals, he couldn't do much about benefits.

bottleblond
27-10-10, 20:30
That's a really good idea Poppy.

kibbutz83
27-10-10, 20:39
You're really not alone.. I'm a single mum, and when my son was little the week the rent was due, we ate beans on toast every night : ( We got so behind with bills that they were threatening to cut us off too : ( It was the most miserable time of my life... and I've had quite a few before and since! I think most of us have suffered in some way, it's a case of learning to adapt to the ups and downs : ( Good luck in your struggle

lynn1960
27-10-10, 20:49
with all the changes that the goverment is making regading health benefits we will all be worse off and have to survive of less money although i have gad i have to go back to work or eles i will lose my house sometimes we have to do things that we dont want to or cant do to survive the dwp is changing everyone benefits not just yours can your wife partner not work all benefits are going to change

PoppyC
27-10-10, 20:56
Thanks Lisa :)
Its hard isnt it especially how things are at the present time. Everyone seems to be struggling who I know.
I feel the need for a glass of wine...:lac:

lynn1960
27-10-10, 21:07
all benefits are being cut like the goverment said i suffer with severe gad but i have to go to work to pay thr mortage can your wife partner not help out all dwp benefits are being chaNGED IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS SO IT COULD GET WORSE YET

nomorepanic
27-10-10, 21:13
** this is a general comment and not aimed at Piers alone **

Is not the real solution to this to make steps towards getting back to work ? If you want to live a better future then you have to start making steps to get a job and get the income you need/deserve/want.

I know it is not easy, trust me, but there is no other answer (really) than getting a job again.

Lynnann
27-10-10, 23:04
In fairness there are not so many jobs out there and for someone with an existing issue?

If cuts have to be made then I would rather we gave up on hosting the Olympics, how much is that costing this country? Can we really we as magnanimous with foreign aide when we can't care for our own country in so many aspects?

Hey ho just a thought

Lynnann:flowers:

nomorepanic
27-10-10, 23:09
Surely it is only an issue if you make it one though?

Why does panic/anxiety have to be an "issue"? :unsure:

I went to work and sat in the boss's office having panic attacks - it didn't stop me doing my job though :yesyes:

debs71
27-10-10, 23:33
I think in all honesty though, it does depend on the job you do.

For me personally, I made the decision to resign from my job after I passed out at work following (what I didn't realise at the time) was a big panic attack. Although I also suffer from low BP and as it was recorded at 70/40 when I fainted, I at first put it down to that, but it was primarily exacerbated by a lot of work and personal stress around that time. For me it was a wake up call.

It was not feasible nor safe for patients I cared for to carry on battling my anxiety in that environment where I spent 10 out of 12 hours moving and on my feet going from patient to patient, in a high pressure environment. What if I had a tizzy during a blue light call (a child in resuscitation) or while caring for a very needy patient in the department? What use would I be?

I admire anyone who is able to do that, but as I say, you can't broadly say that you can deal with anxiety and panic with any job. Mine was particularly work related as well as I had struggled with the stress there for years, so even if I had dealt with my demons in therapy, I would still get right back there again.

I am now looking desperately to find another direction. I love and miss nursing but I value my health more. I am not in any financial position to make such a drastic change of career, but that is the way it is for me.

nomorepanic
27-10-10, 23:47
Debs - can I just ask something here. If you were unable to care for patients as such should they be able to offer you another job to do somewhere else in the NHS (I assume this is who you worked for).

Surely they can't just get rid of you if you do suffer with anxiety and should have been able to offer you a less stressful position somewhere else?

diane07
27-10-10, 23:51
After being a health care assistant for many years, i took a career change and worked with the elderly in their home, even through panic attacks i stuck it out.

Damn hard, and when agoraphobia came into my life it became harder, but i stuck with it, thankfully, i was actually grateful that such pressure to keep my head above water financially enabled me to deal with the panics and stick at it.

My elderly actually helped me deal with my agora, so for that i am grateful, but it wasn't easy.

JaneC
27-10-10, 23:58
If I hadn't had to get out to go to work at the times I my panic was at its worst - I'm sure I'd have ended up never leaving the house at all. But I understand not everybody can do it.

debs71
28-10-10, 00:26
Debs - can I just ask something here. If you were unable to care for patients as such should they be able to offer you another job to do somewhere else in the NHS (I assume this is who you worked for).

Surely they can't just get rid of you if you do suffer with anxiety and should have been able to offer you a less stressful position somewhere else?

Well, to be honest Nic, I never broached the subject of my anxiety with neither my colleagues or managers, I just did what a lot of us do and put on the painted clown smile and got on with things. I tend to internalise a lot of my anxiety until I reach a point like that. In all honesty I doubt that that option would even have been offered to me Nic. I wasn't senior enough to be relegated to a desk job, and I was a senior 'shop floor' nurse so it can't translate to a desk job.

I think had I remained and spoke to my manager about it I would have been offered in house counselling with occupational health without a doubt, but apart from that, it would have been a case of if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. The NHS can be quite tough about these things, they have to be to have an efficient workforce.

To be fair it was me who chose to resign and I am certain I wouldn't have been edged out (if I had been I would have taken it to my union, lol). I just reached that point of burn out I think. :wacko:

So sorry to hijack this thread as well......I didn't mean to lol!

I think it is really hard for anyone relying on benefits, I just would like to see more of those benefits reaching the people who truly need it.

JaneC
28-10-10, 00:40
You haven't hijacked the thread Debs. I find it interesting to read people's stories - what they have been able to do; what they haven't; the decisions they have had to make and so on.

The point I wanted to make earlier, in a post which I deleted because I felt it could be misconstrued, is that it's not only people on benefits who are struggling at the moment :weep:

Nigel
28-10-10, 01:56
Geez... :ohmy:
3 pages now!
I said money was an emotive subject :winks:

The thing that annoys me is that the government (or the previous one) created this mess through the actions they took and the actions they failed to take, and it’s us at the bottom that are having to foot the bill for all their incompetence. How many politicians are suffering economically? Or top bankers? They’re still doing alright. It’s just us poor sods at the bottom who get all their shit dumped down on us. It pisses me off!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyway, Mr Angry has left the building.
Rant over! :blush:

Sorry Piers...

Having a good rant does make us feel a bit better but it doesn’t change the facts I’m afraid. Somehow you, and everyone, have gotta try and make ends meet. The thing is to sit down calmly with a sheet of paper and a calculator and tap away until you can somehow make it work. I know there are bound to be difficult and painful compromises to be made, and I’m sorry about that.

Regarding that water bill – and any others like it – contact them and explain the situation. But it’s no use simply saying; “I can’t pay”. This is where those figures and calculations come in. If you can show them evidence as to why you cannot pay that amount they’ll often come up with a revised payment plan. After all, they’d prefer to receive some money than no money, and they will try to reach a compromise in genuine cases of hardship.

Have a word with CAB if you haven’t already. They’re usually very helpful in drawing budget plans and prioritising debts.

Your sites look pretty good. I know what you mean about being reluctant to do too much work on the side. It’s OK if you can do enough to more than offset the cut in benefits. The system does little to encourage a gradual approach when what a person strives to earn in one hand is instantly snatched away by the other. Might be something you could build up though. It’s something you could largely do from home.

Although I’m out of work, I am fortunate enough to still have few savings left that I’m (very grudgingly!) living on. But I love saving money. Dunno about your area but Tesco down the road here do some pretty good bargains an hour before closing time. Ready meals for 10p sometimes. If you have a freezer you can stock up on a lot like that. Got a big bunch of fresh organic carrots for 25p last week. Even bread and cakes – if they’re still soft – can be frozen.

Mr Mean is happy :)

Good luck,
Nigel

Lynnann
28-10-10, 03:18
In fairness Nigel politicians, never suffer so get seperated from reality,

I am at so many ends of the spectrum, Nic in all fairness and respect to you, which I have loads for you have no idea what working for the the NHS is like and with all the government targets that are expected, it changes like the wind, this is usually dependant on the individual managers, there has never been a more clicky environment in place it is a losing battle and a minefield to navigate.

It is run by people, whose power has little or no consequence those brought to industrial tribunal they lie and stick together like glue, witnessed it from others who have tried to bring justice to an unjust system.

Myself, I didn't get along with my manager 4 days sick within a year was put under a capability policy ( was I capable of doing my job)
the days I had off were signed off from a chest infection signed off from GP and an upset stomach but still enough for the policy to be put in place. Not even an anxiety which they knew about but still enough that they buried me for months in paperwork, accounting for every minute of my time etc, although they didn't pay me for all the extra hours that it took to complete all of this. t was only my peverse nature that I wouldn't let them beat me.

Before all this I had the meeting with occupational health I explained to them that I had issues with my manager and that made things more difficult, guess there is no trying to explain sometimes

Their recommendations, monthly meetings one to one, no witnesses with said manager, There was little more that they could have advised that could have been more abusive, The things that woman said to me without witness well it disgusted me but no witnesses.

There is little understanding of mental health issues within the work place and if the NHS are incapable I have little hope of many other being able. you were fortunate by having an understanding workplace with an insurance scheme in place but that is not always the case.

Lynnann:flowers:

Rous
28-10-10, 04:06
Hi Piers,

I hope you are still here and can read this, I read you were packing the site in, I do hope you don't, you've done good here.

I wanted to go back to your initial post.

"Just spoken with DWP, we are now meant to live on £85 per week for 2 people.

How the f*ck is that even possible?"

I have had to make an appt. with my social worker regarding my benefit issues of late, I'm only on one (that I receive money for) benefit, income support - sickness (that's all it is described as), over time I've seen it rise and fall over time. :wacko:

I barely survive on the amount I get, and recently after talking with the benefits folk about having a lady (a friend I like down south) move in with me they told me that if she did my money wudn't change (as it is my rented flat) but her benefit wud be cut so that our total income wud be at the 2 person level, a loss for my friend of over £80 a week, I nearly fainted when they told me it was something to do with the fact we wud be considered a 'partnership' even if we weren't going out (which we wudn't be really at first tho I had hoped that wud change). :weep:

The whole thing scared me and with the new changes I am scared even more to the point I'm going back to dreading even making any kind of commitments, I may get a little more than someone on income support but I have trubs paying my gas & electricity. twice this year alone I nearly lost my Virgin-media account, 1st due to me running out of money (just buying food) and not able to pay the 2nd due to me serious having to cancel my account with them, if it wasn't for their half-price for a month or two deal I wudn't be here online right at this moment. :wacko:

It's got so bad for me that I have asked my sister (who has a family and suffers from lupus) to help me organise my money (which I am useless at ever since I was 13 and earning my own cash) & to help me write up a 14 day shopping list that I can get and which will keep me healthy for as little money as possible. :)

These things are just my trubs, I wanted to let you know you're not alone in trying to cope, I dread the changes to my benefit in the future, even to the point I think the worse. :weep:

To kind of answer yer 'how' question, I think there is some wee creep in a dark room that tallies up an average life & what they cost then maybe cuts that by a third to save the government money, who knows but it wudnae surprise me. :mad:

The reason I think that is all the times I've been to CAB about my financial probs after my divorce etc I see they use a standard 'government' made form that lists many things that we the people are meant to spend & get as income, it was used to tally up how much I cud pay my debtors back per month, but what got me was the form had silly things on it that if you even put a value in it is considered wrong but they allow £1 per week to buy a lottery ticket. It's just messed up in my opinion, as after we (me & the CAB Lady & my social worker) went thru this list of income & expenditure I was only living on £24-£28 pounds a week for food, gas & electric, as a single guy living in a small flat that was normal said the CAB lady, scared the crap outta me. :ohmy:

The social worker said it's the government trying to balance the budget and the 1st thing that came to my mind was instead of hitting us folk who are skint they shud recoup the dosh from benefit cheats etc that get thousands, the social worker just looked at me as if I said something terrible. I haven't seen her since. :lac:

In my situation I was advised to claim other benefits, like DLA etc. but I only did it once (to keep my mum happy) and after the year of DLA ran out I never bothered applying again tho everyone said I shud, I'm just one of those folk who don't understand money/benefits etc and are completely happy with just the one benefit that pays me, like I said I barely survive but I just manage. :unsure:

Fair enuf I'll lose the TV/Phone & Broadband in a few months at the most, maybe sooner, to save more money but I'd do it coz as long as I'm kinda breathing I'm happy. :blush:

Anyway I've totally rambled & the dictionary thing is flagging dozens of words that need correcting, and some that need adding - when will someone release a Scots dictionary for firefox, does my head in adding things. :wacko:

I'll go for now.
Take care & be safe Piers.

uk23
28-10-10, 04:27
Thanks for all the replies.

We have another appointment with the MP as he is one of those against all of the cuts and wants to try other pathways.

Nicola, I do agree the best choice would be to go back to work, this is something I tried. I got a part time job working from home but even though my mind is saying 'get a job' and I have had job offers, the rest of me says no even when trying my hardest.

I am not one of these people who enjoys not working, for me its wasted life without work and intellectual growth.

Some of the websites I have done (I only listed 10% of previous page) I should have charged £1000-1500 for but only charged £150 as the government didnt have a system for people who earned erratic amounts of money.

Also with these cuts the first thing to go are my servers. These are paid for until the 1/12/10 and were mostly paid for by work I did.

opiateyes
28-10-10, 05:15
I think the thing is with anxiety is phyically you may be able to do the job,but it gets in the way alot

when i was working last I didn't tell anyone about my anxietys and OCD and hoped it just wouldn't be a problem. I Tried so hard everyday, but it still wasn't good enough and constantly got told off by managers, for being in the bathroom too long washing (ocd) and getting muddled with my work ect. I tried my best, but i still got fired.

mick_uk
28-10-10, 09:38
I guess everything is relative when it comes to money. I know people who have sky television, internet connection, the latest mobile phones, games consoles etc, yet still maintain they are hard up.
Struggling to manage to live can mean different things to different people.
Living with anxiety or it's various forms usually, not always, but usually means a lowering of income and standards of living, which in turn adds to the problems you already have.
I've worked from home for a few years now and I'm lucky to be able to do that, but without that, I would have been in doo doo.
My original profession went out the window years ago, and I had to adapt around my problems. Easier said than done.
I woulnd't hold your breath waiting for the politicians to offer any help. Mental health has never been high up on their agenda. They are too busy hanging curtains in their second homes.
oh well, back to work while I watch Jeremy Kyle (at least watching some of those muppets makes me feel better in myself)

mick

london
28-10-10, 09:47
if thats all your getting for 2 of you i think the dwp have got there sums wrong
go to cab see what thay say its worth a try good luck god bless

uk23
28-10-10, 10:09
I just called up, shouted and demanded they did something. They eventually decided they were still taking money off for work we had not done (had a job months ago). They now say they owe us £520 but due to their policy they will only backdate it 4 weeks, so £320.

mick_uk
28-10-10, 10:14
Good for you for shouting mate. It's like living in Kafka's world trying to deal with the various Government departments. They give to us with one hand and take it away with the other.

PoppyC
28-10-10, 11:34
There is no solution other than to find work, if you want your lifestyle to improve - I know there are hardly any jobs around and some areas are worse than others for jobs, so I feel really sorry for people who are trying their hardest to get a job and can't get one.
I worked at home online, when my anxiety was worse than it is now, and now I am working part time in a job - some days are terrible, but others are not so bad, but that is how I felt when I was at home.
I think people who do need financial help and who have serious mental health/physical health problems and agoraphobia should get that help.
Years ago, if you didnt work, then you starved or it was the workhouse. Ok times have moved on, but people in this country are lucky compared to some in other countries who if they have no work, starve, and where having a computer and net connection would be considered a luxury!
The goverment does not have a bottomless pit of money to give in benefits. Thanks to people who abused the benefits system - the non genuine claimants of Incap Benefit - it has made the genuine claimants suffer.
The only answer to improve the situation is to try and find work of some sort as difficult as it may be, or just accept that life on benefits is very tough as unfair as it may seem.

uk23
28-10-10, 13:16
Yes times have moved on and the EU now consider that an internet connection is an essential service, the same as water or electricity.

I know there are other people in countries who have nothing but then are people who have everything so it works both ways. Money will never be distributed between rich and poor but the rich should help the poor IMO. When I had money I worked for 2 charities and donated money every month.

I never asked for anything from the government, my schooling was private and my healthcare was as well, so now that I financial need help from them...

suzy-sue
28-10-10, 13:47
I dont think our government allow for internet provision in the Benefit calculations somehow .But im glad you managed to question the payments they had calculated .Its somehow always seems to be in there favour when mistakes are made .Still I dont expect there is anything you can do about it .Makes you angry tho :mad:,but it doesnt make things any better imo .At least you will have enough to pay your water bill and a bit more to live on ,So thats a positive thing .They actually cant cut off your water due to health and safety .If you get behind with payments they will ususally ask you to make regular payments to clear the arrears .I had a web page I was going to post but its irrelevant now .Many of us have experienced hard times ,It makes you think twice when you do have sufficient about saving for a rainy day .This economic climate isnt going to dissapear overnight and its not only the unemployed that are struggling .We cant change the way things are and its better to concentrate on what we can do in life rather than what we cant .Some stuff doesnt seem just ,but you just have to make the best of it and get on with it .That is what I meant by my first post .It wasnt meant to upset you in any way . Sue

Nigel
28-10-10, 14:11
Hi Piers,

Good result about the refund :yesyes:
Use it wisely :winks:

It’s funny how they’re so quick to slap on fines and charges when we underpay, then when they screw up – which happens all too often – it’s just; “Whoops, sorry...”, and they don’t even repay what they unjustly stole!

Sorry, the soapbox was coming out again :doh:

“Also with these cuts the first thing to go are my servers. These are paid for until the 1/12/10 and were mostly paid for by work I did.”

Could that be scaled back – find something cheaper for now – even if it’s just a temporary thing? Could some of it run on cheap shared hosting? Also, all costs like that should be offset against any profits you make, and if you work from home I think there are things you can offset for that too – fair wear and tear, computer equipment, a portion of utility bills. Sorry, I don’t know all the details.

“I never asked for anything from the government, my schooling was private and my healthcare was as well, so now that I financial need help from them...”

It’s not fair, and it would get me riled too. But at the end of the day it’s the system. It’s fine to let of steam, but you’ve gotta remember... who is it really hurting the most? Us or them?

Wise words from Sue when she said:

“its better to concentrate on what we can do in life rather than what we cant .Some stuff doesnt seem just ,but you just have to make the best of it and get on with it”

It’s damned hard to do sometimes, but it’s the best way.

Good luck,
Nigel

ladybird64
28-10-10, 14:23
Basically we all knew this was coming, irrespective of which government is in power..it was Labour that decided to scrap Incapacity Benefit and move everyone onto Employment and Support Allowance.

I can see this from both sides of the coin, we were on benefits for a while during the bad ol' days of Thatcher's rule..believe me if you think it's tough now, you should have tried being on benefits then.

They would quite happily let you go hungry then, even a phone was considered a non-essential item.

I have worked and struggled, two jobs to put food on the table. I also remember the resentment I felt when others were able to run a car and have holidays abroad while in receipt of benefits, no need to worry about rent, council tax or prescription cost because everything was paid.

And before anyone jumps down my throat (it has happened before!) lets be honest now.

The people that can afford to do the above and there are plenty of them, are on the fiddle. I'm going to be so brazen as to suggest that most of us on here know someone that is screwing the system and the trouble is we have to pay the consequences.

On benefit papers it always says "the law says you need x amount of money to live on" and that means for things like food, bills, etc, it doesn't take into account anything else.

I have got no time for this government (nor any other really) but put the blame where it belongs, at the feet of the greedy barstewards who have fraudulently claimed Incap for years.

daisycake
28-10-10, 18:46
Piers, we used to live on £100 a week (my mum, myself and my sister - I was 5 and my sister was 3) and we survived. Sure, we didnt have much food, we couldn't use the heating or hot water all that much, we've never been abroad (holidays came from the Church), no fancy games consoles, clothes and toys and furniture from the social but it is possible to live that way! Our TV (a massive 1980s beast of a thing) used to break and my sister would stand on the table and hit it with a rolling pin to get it to work again!! Goodness me, we used to share baths as a family as we couldn't do it any other way!

It is possible to have little money and be happy and healthy - my family are testament to that! Thankfully my mum now gets highest care DLA and so does my sister which REALLY helps, God only knows what my mum'll do if and when my sister leaves home as she'll be living on £100/£200 a month I think :(

That aside though, have you thought about getting a job - forgive me if you can't. My mum plans to work once we know what's happening with my sister when she leaves school, mum's done a college course in caring and hopes to get a job again one day :) she takes seizures, anxiety and IBS, asthma, and anaemia lol but she does hope to work, I reckon one day she will :)!

It IS difficult to get a job but there is stuff out there, see what you can find. You can also do a cash in hand job for a certain number of hours without losing your money, like cleaning houses or gardening for neighbours etc.

Good luck! x