PDA

View Full Version : Hypochondria getting worse

charliepanayi
27-10-10, 20:04
I've always been a bit paranoid about my health but lately it seems to be getting even worse, I've lost count of the number of ailments I've convinced myself I have so far this year. Late last week I had my scariest experience yet when I was drinking tea and suddenly found myself unable to swallow. This has resurfaced intermittently since then (in fact, its happening a bit this evening which isn't fun at all). I went to the doctor and they mentioned globus hystericus, and I know it is almost certainly another anxiety-induced symptom, but it's no less scary for that.

Not sure if I want reassurance here or just a listening ear (I'm pretty much rambling) but it's really starting to cripple my ability to live my life. I'm hopeful of starting group therapy soon, and it can't come soon enough at this rate!

PokerFace
27-10-10, 20:22
I'm physically unable to swallow sometimes! It doesn't really bother me cuz I've always had it pretty much, ever since I was about 12 I guess. I really think it's an anxiety symptom because I've been doing it for 8 years and I'm perfectly fine! I think it's cuz I have issues with eating. The more you think about it or the more you're afraid of it happening, the more it actually will happen I'm afraid! Just push it to the back of your mind :). Oh, and the group therapy, what a fantastic step forward! It will probably do you the world of good. Let us know how it goes eh? :) x

StillyKat
27-10-10, 20:32
Hi there,

I have also noticed that my hypochondria has gotten worse and too diagnose myself. With the swollowing issue I have had that too, its anxiety that starts mine off and because im thinking about it and worrying it makes it much worse. Sorry to hear you are going through a bad time x