PDA

View Full Version : How long does a referral take?

Eggy
27-10-10, 20:54
As above, If you get referred to a Neurologist how long do you have to wait to see one?

cozza
27-10-10, 20:57
It took about two and a half months from when mine came through its not a quick process i'm afraid.

Eggy
27-10-10, 20:58
It took about two and a half months from when mine came through its not a quick process i'm afraid.

What do they do when you first see them?

paula lynne
27-10-10, 20:58
Anything between 4-8 monthes, that was the average to see the Neurologist I worked for

cozza
27-10-10, 21:01
i hav'nt been yet its on the 22nd nov so not sure i'm afraid apparentley its quite through though,why do you have a referal?

Eggy
27-10-10, 21:03
i hav'nt been yet its on the 22nd nov so not sure i'm afraid apparentley its quite through though,why do you have a referal?

No, I'm in the process of trying to get one.

ann01
27-10-10, 21:09
It took approx two months for my referral, when I saw mine he had the letter from my doctor and asked me to tell him in my own words whats been happening, he checked my reflexes, did a few balance tests like walking heal to toe in a straight line, following his finger with my eyes test, sorry cant remember the other tests he did.

Eggy
27-10-10, 21:19
It took approx two months for my referral, when I saw mine he had the letter from my doctor and asked me to tell him in my own words whats been happening, he checked my reflexes, did a few balance tests like walking heal to toe in a straight line, following his finger with my eyes test, sorry cant remember the other tests he did.

Thanks, didn't you have an EMG test or an MRI?

ann01
27-10-10, 21:51
Hi eggy I'm don't know what a emg test is but yes I had an MRI I go for my second MRI on the 8th November

Eggy
27-10-10, 21:55
Hi eggy I'm don't know what a emg test is but yes I had an MRI I go for my second MRI on the 8th November

An EMG is where they stick needles in your body to test the muscles.

suzy-sue
28-10-10, 14:54
No, I'm in the process of trying to get one.

If the Dr doesnt think its urgent you will have to wait longer than an urgent refferal .MRI s are only given where absolutely necessary and symptoms have been detected via other tests .You wont necessarily get one .They cost a lot of money and you are subjected to unecessary radiation if not warranted .The form the Dr sends to the Nurologist will have urgent or non urgent on it .You may be in for a long wait Eggy ..Sue

debs71
28-10-10, 15:12
I know from working in the NHS that MRI scans are VERY hard to come by unless you absolutely need one and most other tests have been done first. Sue is right in that they cost a fortune, and each scan takes a long time so the number of people they will scan daily are limited.

PoppyC
28-10-10, 21:44
Hi
I think I waited 4 months for my appointment to have an MRI done and it was done in some sort of trailer outside the hospital. :shrug:

cozza
28-10-10, 21:53
I had a mri done and it took a couple of months,i had been having headaches/pains and various weird things going on for about 5 months before they put me through to have one so the whole process took about 7 months.

Clairalou
02-02-11, 20:13
Ive been under a neurologist for over a year now and had various tests including a EMG and MRI i was a bit if an emergency case so i had my MRI on the day but waited a few months for my EMG an i have to say eggy that unless your neurologist thinks its absolutely vital to have an EMG i wouldnt push for one. They are very uncomfortable an sticking needles into the body isnt a nice experience!
I certainly wouldnt have one again!! :huh:

Claire xx

Gotagetthroughthis
20-09-12, 20:59
Im currently waiting for my referral to come through. Im hopeing the doctor did actually refer me and didnt just say she would to get rid of me.

Anyone thats had a referral how long did it take for the letter to come through just to confirm you have an appointment. Did it take months even to recieve a letter?

JaneC
20-09-12, 23:02
My daughter - she has epilepsy - waited more than three months to see a neurologist this year. The letter came through quite close to the date of the appointment, we heard nothing till then.

ShaunKGrande
27-07-13, 08:31
I have gone to Neurologist for my migraine treatment.

humbug83
24-07-15, 10:41
I'm hoping to ask GP for a referral to a neurologist as I've been feeling off balance and wobbly since about November. I went down the ENT route but now feel like I should have asked about a neurologist referral sooner. I'm scared if there is something wrong with me I've left it too late especially as I would probably have to wait a couple of months for an appointment :(