PDA

View Full Version : Obsessions with a person...its ruining my life, what should I do?!

GirlAfraid23
28-10-10, 13:41
I've posted about this before but on another forum in here. Basically, I am completley and utterly obsessed with a person that I haven't seen in about a year.

I do suffer from OCD.

I have a wonderful boyfriend who adores me but I am completley and utterly obsessed with this other person. I think I might be in love with them. I think about them day in and day out. Everyday, I check their facebook and twitter. I try to make conversation with them on a regular basis - via email and facebook etc. Whenever they reply, I get butterflies in my stomach and I cant help but want to reply. I want to see him so badly and I miss him so much it physcially hurts me.

Abit of background information:

We met through my ex boyfriend (his best friend) and due to our similarities and tastes we became really good friends and regarded each other as best friends. We helped each other through very difficult situations in our lives and I was suffering from awful anxiety/depression at the time and he basically saved my life. If it hadn't been for him being there, I wouldnt have had anyone else to turn to and would probably have done damage to myself or worse.
We ended up kissing a couple of times and he even stayed over and we shared a bed. He loved somebody else at the time though and even though he liked me, he loved her more. This broke my heart and I ended up with my current boyfriend, who I have been with for nearly 18 months now. After I began my relationship with him, me and the other person saw each other a few times, we went to a gig, we went to parties that our mutual friend's had hosted and ended up talking like normal. One night he even tried to kiss me again but I didnt want to cheat on my boyfriend.

Now, I barely speak to him, I haven't seen him in almost a year, yet I can't get him out of my mind and haven't been able to for the last year or so.
I am dreaming about him, thinking about him during the day and whenever I see someone that looks remotely like him, it brightens up my day for the rest of the day.
Is this normal?
Am I in love with him or is it an obsession?

I have written him long love letters explaining how I feel but I will never send them because I'm too scared of what he will say. I want nothing more than to send them, but I think the not-knowing is keeping me going, like there is a chance. I just want to meet up with him in secret and tell him how I feel. Will this ever work? Should I send the letters?

I also feel awful because my boyfriend knows nothing about this, please help me!

janethompson
28-10-10, 17:44
I too suffer from these obsessions with men and it does take over your life !!I am married but like you have strong feelings for someone else ,similar to you we have had days out ,theatre visits etc this took over my life at one point and when this man did not contact me as much as i thought he should i became suicidal .I began escopalotram again and started to feel calmer .B asically some of us are just programmed this way and have to find ways to deal with this .sometimes it is so difficult .try going to a counsellor ,talking to us ,and investing in your current relationship ! I wish you the best of luck !!:)

HazyMind
31-10-10, 09:32
I am going through the exact same thing right now! It is so hard and I would appreciate any help on how to stop thinking about this someone constantly!!!