PDA

View Full Version : My Introduction :)

Nykara
28-10-10, 14:49
Hi All :)

I have been suffering from panic attacks for years now, actually I can hardly remember what it was like before.

About 3 years ago I went through 8 months of therapy and was diagnosed with agoraphobia and panic disorder. My agoraphobia didn't get as bad as some people's, I was still able to leave the house to go for a walk but when it came to those shop door's that's when the anxiety hit. Any public place that had a lot of people was equally as bad.

With counselling and baby steps along the way I started feeling a lot more confident - I was easily able to go shopping and do many other thing's with a support person with me ( either a close friend my mum or my partner ). With that new found confidence we also decided to start a family!

I now have an adorable 14 month old baby girl - as it turns out she hates being stuck at home and totally loves getting out of the house so now on a daily basis we are out and about. I rarely feel any anxiety when I am out shopping now unless I go out of my comfort zone ( shopping centres I have never been to before and things like that - for those I need a support person ).

I am still on medication - 1 Lexapro 20mg tablet per day

Recently however the night time panic attacks have started again - heart racing when I go to bed and I'm trying to get to sleep :(. Reading through here has helped a LOT though as it has reminded me of many thing's from my counselling that I had put out of my mind in the last couple of more 'normal' years. Hopefully tonight ( very soon since it's almost midnight for me!) I will be able to go to bed fear and panic free!

Sorry this was so long, thank you for taking the time to read :)

diane07
28-10-10, 14:51
Hi Nykara

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Joexgee
28-10-10, 14:59
:welcome: nykara, i am very much like you when it comes to shopping centers :scared15: i cant bring myself to go in, as soon as i see all the crowds, that muffled feeling sweeps over me like tidal wave, and normaly run for the exit! im ok mostly on the high street? its a mind block with me i think.
you will get some great support on here, im finding it so helpful. x take care and hope u sleep well

paula lynne
28-10-10, 15:05
Hi Nykara and a big warm welcome to you x:welcome:

Vanilla Sky
28-10-10, 21:08
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

ljd
28-10-10, 22:20
Hi and welcome, its sounds like you have done well and be proud of yourself for that. Hope the night panic will pass tc